Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Visor airbag warning decal removal (update)

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 10:15 PM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Visor airbag warning decal removal (update)

Hi, I know this has been discussed on this forum and others. I thought I'd document my experience as it is less well discussed about removal of the sun visor decals once the cars have become older. I used the 70% isopropyl alcohol method but with poor results possibly due to the glue being too old at this time. My car is about 3 1/2 years old from manufacture date.

Methods:
1. Remove sunvisor as discussed elsewhere. This requires popping the plastic surround, inserting a jewelers screwdriver into the electrical connector against the exposed shiny steel terminal and pulling apart, then using a torx bit to unscrew one bolt and pulling the assembly to free the two remaining plastic clips. (while I tried doing the next step in place it is too risky with needed next steps and tough to see remaining decal bits)
2. I laid a soaked paper towel with isopropyl alcohol onto the decal with a towel cut to shape. Despite three soakings and two at 20 minutes each the decal would not come up as described. I could get a clear film on top of the decal to come up and some of the yellow banding released as shown.
3. With poor results from last step I then wiped on acetone and immediately could get the decal to disintigrate within 10 seconds of wiping.
4. I quickly washed this off with Windex and then soapy water mid-way through.
5. I repeated the acetone to just the decal area and then outwards across much of the same side to blend and get off all residue.
6 Repeat step 4
7 I warmed up the vinyl with a hair dryer for a minute as described by others as the vinyl is somewhat stretched or bubbly. This will further stretch it some.
8. I then quickly flipped it over and applied manual compressive pressure on top of a stone countertop for one minute (cooling in the refrigerator didn't seem to alleviate the wrinkles or stretch).
9. Once tired of this I lifted it back and the end result was pretty good. I'd say it's 90% as it should be. For an enclosed coupe I think this is acceptable. For a convertible or Targa the shadow may still be noticeable. I didn't want to press my luck with too much acetone, and if this contacts plastic it will hurt the finish.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Porsche (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 11:25 PM
Texas Porsche
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 21 Posts

I plan on trying this in the next day or so , I'll try the acetone first, thanks for the post .
Old 07-11-2020, 11:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

It looks a hellava lot better than with the labels intact!
Old 07-11-2020, 11:58 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I've done 3 different Porsche 911's including my TTS. I have never removed the visor to do the removal and my warning stickers came off in one piece.
I flip the visor so the sticker side is facing up. I take a full thick paper towel folded to be just larger than the sticker. I soak the towel in alcohol (91% or higher) and lay it over the sticker so it has full contact. I let it sit about 8 minutes each visor and then start lifting the sticker slowly till it is completely gone. I wipe the area with the wet towel. And do a final clean up of any glue residue with 303 cleaner.
I do this while sitting in each seat with a towel on my lap to catch any dripping. 15-20 minute job.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:02 AM
Restore
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, I've seen your posts and others with using the alcohol and I did initially soak them with the visor intact and flipped up horizontal with a plastic bag zipped tight. I waited 10 and 20 minutes 3 times. No coin, not sure why. I figured I'd show even how only part of the label would come off with alcohol. Perhaps there are production differences. I have a 2017 991.2. Anyhow, it seems like acetone will get it off and not destroy the vinyl with brisk usage. It will kill plastic immediately so removing them if one wants to use acetone is paramount.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:26 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Could be the alcohol. It must be 91% or higher. In the end you have to use what works for you as those stickers are an eyesore on a high value car.
Restore (07-13-2020)
Old 07-12-2020, 10:12 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Could be the alcohol. It must be 91% or higher. In the end you have to use what works for you as those stickers are an eyesore on a high value car.
I also have a 2017 and had the same poor results as Restore with 91 alcohol. I also removed the visors, and with about 30 minutes of elbow grease on each visor, I was able scrub the decals off with a 91 soaked microfiber towel. Wish I had known about acetone!!!!
Old 07-12-2020, 12:17 PM
Nixin
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Be very careful withAcetone, it can be harmful to painted or dyed items.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:30 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

70% medicinal rubbing alcohol is too weak. Every car enthusiast's garage should contain a gallon of Denatured Alcohol (buy in the Home Depot paint department). A great universal solvent (both, H2O and oil soluble) that can be used for a ton of different projects. Also doubles as an Concours award winning window cleaner (2 parts distilled water to 1 part denatured alcohol).
Restore (07-13-2020)

Quick Reply: Visor airbag warning decal removal (update)