Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Targa air deflector operation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:20 PM
gcole
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 991.2 Targa air deflector operation?

On the Targa (2017 991.2), is there a secret to getting the air deflector to stay retracted?

The manual recommends retracting when driving at higher speeds to address wind noise, but I've pressed on "F" until I'm blue in the face, but it never "engages in the windshield frame."

Old 07-10-2020, 08:28 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Mine used to work, but now I have the opposite problem as you. But when it did work, it did not make a noticeable difference, so I’ve decided to live with it until my next dealer visit. And then, based on how complicated the fix is, I may elect to leave it as-is.

I know of one other Targa owner who had the same problem and had his replaced. Maybe he’ll chime in when he wakes up.

DaveGee
The following users liked this post:
gcole (07-10-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 08:53 PM
wes66vette
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Try pressing in the middle instead of right in front of the driver position...
Old 07-10-2020, 08:59 PM
gcole
Intermediate

Thanks for the quick feedback, Dave! Good to know.

Went to mess with it again a few minutes ago, and this time got it to stay down...but I'm not clear how.

Then it wasn't clear how to re-extend it, though eventually I did...but I'm not clear how.

Sounds like it may not even be worth fretting over.

Again, I appreciate the quick feedback, Dave!

--Glenn
2020-present: 2017 Targa 4S PDK.
1986-2016: 1986 Targa stick
Old 07-10-2020, 09:12 PM
gcole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wes66vette
Try pressing in the middle instead of right in front of the driver position...
Thanks for the tip, Wes! I'm afraid that didn't do anything for me, though.

BUT...I found that a sharp rap on "F" was mostly reliable in getting the deflector to extend or retract. I also tried that just on the middle, just on the right, and on both left+right simultaneously, but nothing worked as well as doing it just on the left.

A gentle quick press on any of the three spots (or a combination thereof) did nothing. Holding it longer did nothing. Pressing a little harder -- holding or not -- also did nothing.

Sharp rap (fingers extended) on the left was the only thing to make a difference.

I saw there's a tiny little metal extension on a piece a little closer to the center of the vehicle, but I couldn't tell what it was trying to activate or deactivate.

But at least now I know what success looks like.

Thanks, all!
Old 07-10-2020, 10:27 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Mine used to work, but now I have the opposite problem as you. But when it did work, it did not make a noticeable difference, so I’ve decided to live with it until my next dealer visit. And then, based on how complicated the fix is, I may elect to leave it as-is.

I know of one other Targa owner who had the same problem and had his replaced. Maybe he’ll chime in when he wakes up.

DaveGee
I just woke up to this. Thanks. Mine was not latching and they replaced the windshield mechanism. Seems to be ok now. They commented they see this a lot. Back to sleep!!!
gcole (07-11-2020)
Old 07-10-2020, 10:31 PM
Al.Fresco
Three Wheelin'

Received 332 Likes on 190 Posts

Mine (2014) has a little arrow where the F is showing you where to press to raise/lower.

Old 07-11-2020, 11:27 AM
gcole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GR997S
I just woke up to this. Thanks. Mine was not latching and they replaced the windshield mechanism. Seems to be ok now. They commented they see this a lot. Back to sleep!!!
Very helpful -- thank you!

Nite-nite...
Old 07-11-2020, 11:30 AM
gcole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Al.Fresco
Mine (2014) has a little arrow where the F is showing you where to press to raise/lower.
As does mine. When I mentioned above about pressing on the "left side," I should have clarified that was at the arrow each time. My bad.

Thanks for being sure I hadn't missed this!
Old 07-11-2020, 10:04 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

I can hear the difference more than feel the difference, and mine is mostly up when driving.
Old 07-12-2020, 02:47 AM
gcole
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I can hear the difference more than feel the difference, and mine is mostly up when driving.
Ah, interesting. I am indeed hoping to hear the difference.

Got a chance to get in a little "spirited" driving tonight when picking up Chinese take-out. Having it retracted seemed to make a positive difference in sound; will have to see just how much difference it makes when I hit the interstate. Here's to hoping....

Thanks for the feedback, Bob!
Old 07-12-2020, 09:58 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

And for those of you that are having problems finding the "sweet spot" for rising or lower it find it when the car is not moving and you are standing outside of it. Mine has an indicator where to press but one can see where to press it easier this way along with the pressure needed.
Old 02-11-2022, 04:42 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by gcole
Thanks for the tip, Wes! I'm afraid that didn't do anything for me, though.

BUT...I found that a sharp rap on "F" was mostly reliable in getting the deflector to extend or retract. I also tried that just on the middle, just on the right, and on both left+right simultaneously, but nothing worked as well as doing it just on the left.

A gentle quick press on any of the three spots (or a combination thereof) did nothing. Holding it longer did nothing. Pressing a little harder -- holding or not -- also did nothing.

Sharp rap (fingers extended) on the left was the only thing to make a difference.

I saw there's a tiny little metal extension on a piece a little closer to the center of the vehicle, but I couldn't tell what it was trying to activate or deactivate.

But at least now I know what success looks like.

Thanks, all!
This was immensely helpful - thank you!
gcole (02-11-2022)

Quick Reply: 991.2 Targa air deflector operation?