Sponsored by:

991.2 Carrera Driving Impressions from a TTS owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 654 Posts
Thumbs up 991.2 Carrera Driving Impressions from a TTS owner

A few days ago I decided I just had to know what it was like to drive a manual transmission Carrera – this one: https://www.hgreg.com/used-car/porsc...for-sale-58704 So, I went on a test drive. I already own a 2017 TTS, but PDK is a unique experience and I’ve never driven a manual Porsche before. Here are my driving impressions of a manual transmission base model 991.2 Carrera:
  • I deliberately set low expectations for seat of the pants power, but I was surprised by the nice surge of mid-range torque that felt very familiar! I wasn’t driving full tilt because my goal was primarily to evaluate the switch gear, but the base Carrera is a fun car! I’m sure the S and GTS progression just adds to it, but now I know the base RWD car in MT is an excellent car with a very connected driving experience.
  • The switch gear is precise (not vague) and the clutch action is great – easy to drive!
  • I expected long throws on the shifter, but that wasn’t my experience…felt like a short shifter was installed? I’ve read good things about a brand called numeric…if the car I drove was stock, I can’t imagine what a short shift kit must feel like.
  • The manual is clearly most suited to the open road and spirited driving – the responsiveness of the pedals and engine for downshifting are really nice and the heel toe action is easily accommodated, although size 13 shoes play a role. At this point in my life, I would not want to be in stop & go traffic with ANY manual transmission car.
  • The interior is not aging well at 25K miles. It all looks good but there are a lot of creaks and groans coming from the panels and trim…maybe this one was left outside? The south Florida sun is brutal – maybe the temperature variations took their toll? I keep my TTS in the garage under a car cover and the interior still smells and looks new at 8K miles.
  • I didn’t expect the seats to be so comfortable! I thought the bar was set at the 18 way adjustable seats and anything less was inferior – that’s not what my seat of the pants impression was in this car.
  • Handling is taught and the ride is very comfortable – this is clearly a nice daily driver model.
I had been developing a master plan to one day own both my TTS and a 991.2 GTS 4 manual that I could mod and transform into a pseudo TT model with AWD and a manual transmission. I figure a 991.2 GTS 4 with intercoolers, headers, hi-flow cats, plenum/Y-pipe/BMC and ECU tune will hang pretty close to a stock 991.2 TT and offer the manual transmission experience too. But after driving the manual a few days ago, I’m not so sure that manual experience is unique enough from my TTS to justify the time required to find the right car and the money required to turn it into some other car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Pb Pedis:
Guaji (07-08-2020), PJ Cayenne (07-08-2020), Rich_Jenkins (07-24-2020)
Old 07-08-2020, 02:44 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
But after driving the manual a few days ago, I’m not so sure that manual experience is unique enough from my TTS to justify the time required to find the right car and the money required to turn it into some other car.
I agree a GTS 4 in manual is really not too different than your current TTS. Have you looked into a Cayman? Manual, mid-engine, smaller, more nimble, better rotation.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:37 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I agree a GTS 4 in manual is really not too different than your current TTS. Have you looked into a Cayman? Manual, mid-engine, smaller, more nimble, better rotation.
I did consider the Cayman idea, but at 6'4" the Cayman is....a bit too cramped.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:59 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

I did consider the Cayman idea, but at 6'4" the Cayman is....a bit too cramped.
too tall for the 718 GT4? the perfect car...
Old 07-08-2020, 05:35 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Just sent you a PM about the car you drove!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Just sent you a PM about the car you drove!
Ya gotta love these forums...you never know when you'll find exactly the information you want or need! Hope my reply to your PM was helpful!
Old 07-08-2020, 06:46 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 302 Likes on 178 Posts

I have C4S with manual you can toss it in 6th at 35mph and cruise around town pretty easily. Even around town you don't have to row much unless you really want to which is awesome. 7th is roughly 50mph and up, more useful on highways. PDK is always better for launching but I love the involvement of having stick. Do not miss PDK much at all. (my prior C4 was PDK)
Old 07-08-2020, 07:06 PM
rubycaymanr
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

I Have a 991.2 GTS with all the modifications you describe and the car is on another level
Old 07-08-2020, 07:16 PM
GTlife
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by rubycaymanr
I Have a 991.2 GTS with all the modifications you describe and the car is on another level
I can't imagine. Have you tried a run through the quarter mile? I am genuinely interested in what the numbers would be. I only have Fabspeed bypass valves and it sounds like a dragon.
Old 07-08-2020, 08:42 PM
rugu6869
Burning Brakes

Received 461 Likes on 298 Posts

Ya gotta love these forums...you never know when you'll find exactly the information you want or need! Hope my reply to your PM was helpful!
Yes, VERY helpful!!!
TY
Old 07-08-2020, 09:03 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by GTlife
I can't imagine. Have you tried a run through the quarter mile? I am genuinely interested in what the numbers would be. I only have Fabspeed bypass valves and it sounds like a dragon.
A few cars for reference:
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1198...-hard-use.html

GTS, headers, sport cats, intercoolers, tune, 91/93 octane it's 130mph trap speeds, mid-7s 60-130.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:20 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

OP- great mini review of the manual base .2. Very enjoyable and practical sports car which can still get you into a load of trouble, just a second later than your TTS.
Old 07-10-2020, 09:31 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 535 Posts

I think if there was more production of the base 991.2, many people would have chosen that. It is a super fun car to drive since it’s a bit slower than the other variants.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:20 AM
Trapperj
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

EDIT...Sorry to thread jack. After posting this information I see that the OP was specifically asking about a manual transmission car. Didn’t intend to jack your thread. Perhaps what I list here is of some value. If not, mods feel free to delete...

Originally Posted by GTlife
I have a 2018 GTS PDK with APR flash and Soul Replacement pipes. I’ve ran a 10.95 (according to Dragy) in the 1/4 mile. Full disclosure here...it was invalid @ 1.47 degree downhill. I’m in East TN, so finding flat ground is difficult. I have run the 1/8th verified @ 7.10 @ 104.19 mph which is pretty decent I reckon. The 60ft could be improved on. My .2 is RWD so launching on the Pirellis is a chore. Oh...my car is flashed for 93 octane. I’ve been running Shell fuel. It’s been so hot and humid here. I really believe it has a couple tenths better on a cool night. Especially with better tires.

Last edited by Trapperj; 07-11-2020 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Added screenshot
Old 07-11-2020, 12:45 AM
Trapperj
Advanced

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Trapperj
I have a 2018 GTS PDK with APR flash and Soul Replacement pipes. I’ve ran a 10.95 (according to Dragy) in the 1/4 mile. Full disclosure here...it was invalid @ 1.47 degree downhill. I’m in East TN, so finding flat ground is difficult. I have run the 1/8th verified @ 7.10 @ 104.19 mph which is pretty decent I reckon. The 60ft could be improved on. My .2 is RWD so launching on the Pirellis is a chore. Oh...my car is flashed for 93 octane. I’ve been running Shell fuel. It’s been so hot and humid here. I really believe it has a couple tenths better on a cool night. Especially with better tires.

Not sure how this stacks up. My mods are APR 93 flash with Soul test pipes

The 1/4 mph was way off. I had to get on the brakes pretty hard before the end. Not sure how that might have affected the ET

Quick Reply: 991.2 Carrera Driving Impressions from a TTS owner