Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would a car have spark plugs replaced twice well before 40k miles per the Carfax?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2020, 09:20 AM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default why would a car have spark plugs replaced twice well before 40k miles per the Carfax?

I'd really be interested in peoples' perspectives on why a car would have spark plugs replaced twice about a year apart according to the Carfax. Below are the service summaries from the Carfax, and the link to the full Carfax is at the bottom. I'm going to ask the selling dealer (and hope to get a response from the servicing dealer), but any thoughts from you guys on what this could mean would be appreciated.

9/13/2018:
  • Maintenance inspection completed
  • Recommended maintenance performed
  • Safety inspection performed
  • Battery/charging system checked
  • Spark plug(s) replaced - (why would this be needed with less than 4k miles on the car?)
  • Air filter replaced
  • Brakes checked
  • Oil and filter changed
  • Tire condition and pressure checked
  • Electrical system checked

9/20/2019:
  • Recommended maintenance performed
  • Safety inspection performed
  • Battery/charging system checked
  • Spark plug(s) replaced (why would this be needed AGAIN around the 7k mile mark?)
  • Air filter replaced
  • Brakes checked
  • Oil and filter changed
  • Tire condition and pressure checked
  • Brake fluid checked

Full Carfax: https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...BB2A92HS136755
Old 07-08-2020, 09:28 AM
Zanotti
Racer

Received 346 Likes on 132 Posts

The previous owner was a nut.

People believe all sorts of things, and if you say replace the plugs, a service department would do it.....
Old 07-08-2020, 09:53 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 601 Likes on 307 Posts

Possibly misfires?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:19 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 353 Likes on 183 Posts

The air filters were also changed twice before their time was due. But the brake fluid was not changed when due. It would not surprise me if the info was merely reported carelessly (inaccurately). by the Porsche dealer. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. But you should get the brake fluid changed.
Old 07-08-2020, 10:26 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

If you can actually get all of the service records then you might get the full story. You will likely be told the customer was OCD. Maybe...or maybe there was something more significant going on and this was part of the resolution. Possibly more major fuel pump issue? I believe someone on RL was told to change the plug after a HPFP failure and subsequent replacement.

i had a VW Touareg bought back by VW after an engine failure that resulted in oil getting into the coolant system. This was at about 900 miles on the odometer. In the end they replaced the V8 and I drove it till about 2500 miles. Car was going to be sold at an out of state auction, I was told. So what will the buyer of my rebuilt Touareg be told? The guy was a car flipper. He bought a new car every 9 months.

Ask questions answered make sure you are comfortable with the decision to buy if you decide to. And the risk that comes along with it. Good luck.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:42 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

possible misfires or coil bad coil packs.. dealers and techs LOVE to throw parts at car especially when its under warranty

secondly, extremely **** owners could change spark plugs by age and not mileage.. who knows.. I dont see it as a red flag if a DME report comes back clean

call that dealer and ask for more details about the repairs.. if they pushback, have the seller make the call and demand more details..

good luck
Old 07-08-2020, 01:13 PM
OliverK68
Burning Brakes

Received 391 Likes on 227 Posts

How sure are we that the Carfax is accurate?
Old 07-08-2020, 03:43 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

Originally Posted by JW911
The air filters were also changed twice before their time was due. But the brake fluid was not changed when due. It would not surprise me if the info was merely reported carelessly (inaccurately). by the Porsche dealer. Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it. But you should get the brake fluid changed.
This ——^ about the brake fluid.

Originally Posted by JW911
... It would not surprise me if the info was merely reported carelessly (inaccurately). by the Porsche dealer...
I have seen Porsche Dealer records where the charged-for services were clearly not done. I have also seen Porsche Dealer records where the same parts were charged for twice on the same invoice. (Seriously.)

If both “plug changes” were done at the same dealer then I would question if either was done since that dealer is clearly not worried about ‘getting caught.’ If at different dealers, then probably done at least once.

Old 07-09-2020, 08:21 AM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by worf928
This ——^ about the brake fluid.

I have seen Porsche Dealer records where the charged-for services were clearly not done. I have also seen Porsche Dealer records where the same parts were charged for twice on the same invoice. (Seriously.)

If both “plug changes” were done at the same dealer then I would question if either was done since that dealer is clearly not worried about ‘getting caught.’ If at different dealers, then probably done at least once.
Yeah I’m also aware the the brake fluid should have been done. I’ve asked the dealer to get the service records so I can actually see what was done. The car is being sold by a Ferrari dealer who bought some inventory of a Porsche dealer before the P dealership got sold. Might have some trouble getting documentation...I hope not.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:50 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 444 Likes on 317 Posts
Default 1 was needed 1 was probably a crooked service dept

Mine were done at 5k miles on the 4 year service schedule to cpo. My guess is the second time was due to a crooked service advisor. I called Jax porsche on my 6 year which called for a new pdcc bottle and the guy suggested i needed a water pump with the sevice due to failures. His total would have been 5k for the 6 year service. By the way early .1s dont have water pump failures.

An independent PPI or service history will show any codes thrown. If it did need spark plugs my guess is there will be a history of the code in the service records.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:06 PM
991carreradriver
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 240 Posts

Very well maybe possible that the prior owner tracked regularly. In my previous Carrera's (which I regularly tracked) plugs were changed out annually.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:46 AM
Z00mie
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

I evaluated a car that showed all service accomplished prior to the perspective purchaser's interest. The original owner however had specified an oil of a type/quality the latest purchaser didn't wish to use so had the dealer dump oil within 50 miles of the previous major and reservice. If it caught my eye I'm sure it'll catch the "eagle eye" of someone researching to become this automobile's next steward.
Anecdotal I realize, but provides some food for thought...
Old 07-18-2020, 12:06 AM
Targat2017
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

CarFax credibilty is suspect these days, IMO. Dealers are not making it available so do they hide important information? YES!
Ask questions,

In the last few months of searching for the ideal 911 CarFax has come up with many inconsistencies. These are a few...

-extra plug replacement, well before 40k or 4yrs, why?
-repainted door not reported on CPO $100k+ on 911
-full 20k and 30k service within the same year (~3k miles apart)
-repainted bumper, not fitted properly, not reported CPO 911
-missing brake flush - dealers fault quite a few or not reported
-found accident listed as damage but it was a $20k +/- repair, CrFx/dealer reported with no details
PPI at dealer not data-base listed after 19 days!

Porsche costumers follow Reps advice but it cost money and its a waste

Quick Reply: why would a car have spark plugs replaced twice well before 40k miles per the Carfax?