Sponsored by:

Rear seat luggage/dog carrying modification

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2020, 08:34 PM
Jim M.
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
Very cool. In for more info -- materials used, pics of compartments, how it's secured, etc..
The carpet is a bulk buy from Gahh auto upholstery, with a 1/8" closed cell foam to give it a finished feel, the embroidery is from a local shop. The doors are 1/2" tapered plywood with a backing of 1/4" MDF to hold the leather in place, done by a local auto upholstery shop. The interior LED lights are switched by magnetic switches in the door frame and magnets in the doors. The back is attached to the original folding seat back supports, the top is attached to the door frames with a triangle shaped piece of wood and screws. The front is attached by the lower door hinges. When you remove the factory lower seats the area is fully carpeted, so nothing in the interior of the compartments. The two bars on the top are door pulls, but they allow me to tie down luggage from the door pulls to the factory child seat anchors on the back shelf. The entire project was done without drilling any new holes. Everything can be returned to stock in a few hours. I still need to get the GT2RS console covered in leather and I'm not happy with the finish on the mahogany.

Old 11-10-2020, 01:40 AM
jaysc
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Ok, this is awesome Icebreaker! I'm thinking I'll definitely want to do something like this. Our pup was uncomfortable on the folded down seats as she's pretty lanky and just couldn't get comfortable/was compelled to "fall" into the gap behind the seats. She does much better just sitting in the buckets but I know that can't be the most comfortable thing either. She really likes the headroom, though, so I might try a cheap version of this just to see how comfy she ends up being.

I've been considering making my own seat cover as well. We have an Orvis "hammock" style cover for our X5, but there really isn't anything that's made that's practical for the rear seat of the 911 (the Orvis covers come in L and XL, lol).
Old 11-10-2020, 08:27 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jaysc

I've been considering making my own seat cover as well. We have an Orvis "hammock" style cover for our X5, but there really isn't anything that's made that's practical for the rear seat of the 911 (the Orvis covers come in L and XL, lol).
I meant to mention that in our experience, our dog is very comfortable with the increased space with this setup. HOWEVER, the front center armrest is an invitation for the dog to step on. When you are making your cover, experiment with a flap that can extend over the armrest. So far, my armrest and interior has not been marred.
This system isn't complicated and only took minutes for the foam store to cut and glue for me. Have fun and send pictures of your dogs in the car. Nellie (see above post by Pavegeno928) looks so peaceful. RIP Nellie.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:04 PM
jaysc
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks for the tip! I'm going to head to a local foam supplier in the next month or so. I also have an idea for a sort of "curtain" to protect the seat backs and plastic side panels - thinking that it could hang from the coat hangers on the seat backs and maybe stick to the quarter windows with a suction cup (since I'm guessing there's no space to shove a tab down in between the glass/trim). Could use mesh between the seats to allow the pup to still see out the front (similar to this).
Old 01-08-2021, 01:14 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

Received 135 Likes on 61 Posts

Here in the Bay Area I found Bob's Custom Foam shop in Fremont. Once I explained what I was looking for they custom cut 4 pieces of a very stiff foam for me in about an hour. Total cost out the door was $131.00. Together the 4 pieces form a flat deck that is held in place by friction and the front seats. Went to Costco and bought a nicely padded rear seat dog cover. It's to large for the Porsche which is perfect as it allows the sides and rear to fold up along the rear side walls and cover the rear floor area as well. I toped it off with a Costco dog bed that is a perfect snug fit for the back of the Porsche.

As you can see from the pictures, she is sitting up high enough for 360 degree views of the world and since the dog bed is held tightly in place she has plenty of grip not to get thrown around in corners. It kind of funny to watch, on the straights or just cruising she likes to stand and get a view out the front, corners start to happen she just sits down on her butt, more aggressive cornering she just lies down and enjoys the ride. We are planning on a puppy this spring so both will fit nicely in back.

The following users liked this post:
Wrtflyr (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:29 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Great idea to add the bed for side protection! She looks comfortable! Did the foam supplier glue any of the pieces together for you? Enjoy! (both you and your pup)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:37 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

No just left them as 4 separate pieces. They are foam so no rubbing noises and it's much easer to get them out as separate pieces.
Old 01-08-2021, 06:41 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,369 Likes on 688 Posts

Nicely done! Any photos of the foam pieces?
Old 01-08-2021, 07:06 PM
bmwexpat
Instructor

They look pretty much the same as the ones Icebreaker posted. If you find a custom foam shop they start with a block of foam and start cutting for the basic dimensions and then start shaving for a final fit. The foam does not have to be a prefect fit ,as I and most people will throw some type of cover over the entire back deck which covers the foam and provides protection to the foam and side surfaces from a dogs paws & claws. This is a simple project. Don't over think it.
Old 06-30-2021, 12:55 PM
991DDS
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Ice been looking for a week now!! Thank you so much for Idea. I have leftover acoustic foam from Home theater should do the trick then place maybe a top to large container top to cover them & carpet.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:16 PM
hundegger
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thanks!

Hey OP,

Thanks so much for sharing this! I've been looking for something that would enable me to bring our Australian Shepherd (60 pounds-ish) with us in our new to us 991.1.
This was just what we needed - getting the supplies next week and getting it glued together.

Do you by any chance remember what Newton og lbs the foam you got was rated at?

Thanks again! :-)
Old 02-01-2022, 07:19 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,198 Likes on 2,124 Posts

How much egress / ingress would you have with the bucket seat slid all the way forward? I'm assuming for this kind of dog in the back setup a 4 way or 18 way seat would be much wiser.
Old 02-01-2022, 08:10 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by UncleDude
How much egress / ingress would you have with the bucket seat slid all the way forward? I'm assuming for this kind of dog in the back setup a 4 way or 18 way seat would be much wiser.
With the seat forward, our 55lb dog can get in pretty easily. The first picture in the thread shows the room available with the seat forward and the foam insert.
I normally lift her in just to make sure she doesn't dig her claws in where I would later regret. Another approach that someone else uses is to place a towel on the front seat and then let the dog climb into the master suite.

Glad we have a good solution for carrying our best friends around safely! Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
UncleDude (02-01-2022)
Old 02-01-2022, 09:47 PM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,198 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
With the seat forward, our 55lb dog can get in pretty easily. The first picture in the thread shows the room available with the seat forward and the foam insert.
I normally lift her in just to make sure she doesn't dig her claws in where I would later regret. Another approach that someone else uses is to place a towel on the front seat and then let the dog climb into the master suite.

Glad we have a good solution for carrying our best friends around safely! Cheers!
Those are excellent photos showing the space with the seats tilted forward, but the bucket seats don’t tilt so I’m wondering if I could get do through the space once the seats are pushed forward. I am thinking it is probably a bad idea to spec that seat if you want to have a critter in the back. Just thought I’d ask if anyone’s tried this with the fixed buckets.
Old 02-02-2022, 04:49 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Rear seat I

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
My 1988 911 Cab had lots of space for my cross-country drive in 2011. Packed the footwells with soft bags right up to the seats and put a blanket down. Sadly, Nellie passed a few years later, but the Cab is still with me.

I totally get the dog thing! Sorry to hear about your loss
my dog looks kinda similar!

Quick Reply: Rear seat luggage/dog carrying modification