Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flying Rock!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2020, 07:39 PM
SilverSFR
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 69 Posts

I purchased mine from RadiatorGrillStore and would purchase from them again. The Price is right and the install was pretty darn easy. Just a smig of triming/bending and that was pretty much it. The front bumper does not need to come off.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:19 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Darn, that's a big one. Looks like the size rock that took out my Audi windshield and driver's mirror.

+1 for Zunsport - super easy install and durable. Have had them on 3 Porsches.
Old 06-14-2020, 12:39 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,352 Likes on 762 Posts

Get the Zunsports you won't be unhappy.
Old 06-14-2020, 03:29 PM
Mickey D
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Driveby
Same thing happened to me when I had my 997. Two weeks later and no AC.
Originally Posted by LexVan
Dang! That's a big rock and hit. Hope no leaks.

Keep in mind, in most states, hitting a moving object (road debris) would be considered a comprehensive claim (not collision). FYI.....if it comes to that. GL.
Originally Posted by ClassJ
When it happened to my Cayman I lost all of my ac refrigerant.
finally got a chance to drive the car today and sure enough no AC. Nothing but hot air. Anyone know a ball park for the repair? Its a 2019 911 gts
Old 06-14-2020, 08:44 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mickey D
finally got a chance to drive the car today and sure enough no AC. Nothing but hot air. Anyone know a ball park for the repair? Its a 2019 911 gts
I believe my repair was around $1250 in 2014. Bumper needs to be pulled. They then swap the condenser and charge the system.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:01 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by X51
Darn, that's a big one. Looks like the size rock that took out my Audi windshield and driver's mirror.

+1 for Zunsport - super easy install and durable. Have had them on 3 Porsches.
Do you happen to have a link for those? I'm having google issues today...
Old 06-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Mickey D
Instructor

I believe my repair was around $1250 in 2014. Bumper needs to be pulled. They then swap the condenser and charge the system.
thats not bad! I was quoted a little over that for the same work on a 2016 civic .

Did they have to replace the dryer as well? I read on the forum here, if moisture gets into the system, its recommended to replace the dryer as well.
Old 06-14-2020, 10:10 PM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 560 Posts

They should absolutely replace the drier. Anytime an AC system is open or compromised, the drier should be replaced.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:56 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Prairiedawg
They should absolutely replace the drier. Anytime an AC system is open or compromised, the drier should be replaced.
I disagree in this case. The system has a small puncture. If they swap the condenser and pull a good vacuum on it it will boil off the moisture and be fine. If the system was left open for months than maybe I would I would be concerned.
Old 06-15-2020, 01:30 AM
Mickey D
Instructor

I disagree in this case. The system has a small puncture. If they swap the condenser and pull a good vacuum on it it will boil off the moisture and be fine. If the system was left open for months than maybe I would I would be concerned.
is that something the dealer automatically checks or do i need to request it?
Old 06-15-2020, 02:29 AM
Scottykenneth
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 220 Posts

Had these on my one GTS. I like these way better than ZunSport. I got the Zunsports then returned them. Have to take bumper off but well worth it. Has OEM look. How they shoulda came from factory. Looks like the grills on GT3’s GT4’s etc.

https://www.rennline.com/Rennline-Ra...uctinfo/E1000/

only pic I have. If you can zoom in.

Old 06-15-2020, 08:26 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Umm, no. The correct procedure is to replace the drier. The oil is hydroscopic and absorbs the moisture. This reacts to the oil and refrigerant and creates acids in the system. This would maybe fly if you had a slow leak and the system was open to the atmosphere for a very short period of time but this is different. Your system has been open for how long plus now will be disassembled a condenser removed, replaced. Air and moisture will be introduced also at that time. This is especially true with systems that use POE or PAG oils which absorb moisture at a much higher rate than traditional mineral oils used with R12 or R22 in building and environmental AC systems. Anytime those systems are opened to the atmosphere, the drier is also replaced. Once the oil has absorbed it I don't think it will release it even under a vacuum.

A good vacuum removes air and non condensable gases. 20 minutes on a vacuum pump doesn't remove moisture. It will, if left on for extended periods of time, monitored with a micron gauge and purged with nitrogen in between vacuums. I can put a vacuum pump on a system full of moisture and pull below 500 microns easily. That's a 15 minute good vacuum, but also full of moisture.

In short, the vacuum pump isn't used to remove moisture, the drier is. It can, but that isn't its job. The 20 minutes the tech uses putting your bumper back on is all that the VP will spend on your system. I would replace it if it were my car.
Old 06-15-2020, 08:42 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Nothing you have stated is incorrect.

With that said, given the circumstances, I am still not sure I would personally replace the dryer under this circumstance but it is the proper thing to do.

If the compressor popped, or the car was in an accident and had a gaping opening to fresh air for a month while being repaired, yes.

Old 06-15-2020, 09:49 AM
Prairiedawg
Rennlist Member

Nothing you have stated is incorrect.

With that said, given the circumstances, I am still not sure I would personally replace the dryer under this circumstance but it is the proper thing to do.

If the compressor popped, or the car was in an accident and had a gaping opening to fresh air for a month while being repaired, yes.

I guess we'll just disagree.

OP just replace it. It's $68.00

https://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/o...er-94457314301
The following users liked this post:
ClassJ (06-15-2020)
Old 06-15-2020, 05:53 PM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This thing was almost the size of a brick, and creased the top of my roof. It was thrown up by the blue car in the adjacent lane in front of me, no time to react. I'd post the video, but the language probably isn't suitable for some....
The following users liked this post:
Bud Taylor (06-18-2020)

Quick Reply: Flying Rock!!