Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna roll?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 06:45 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

I try not to underestimate those "POS" cars that want to run you. As a matter of fact, I wont run a honda/acura with unknown mods because 9 times out of 10-they are well over 500whp and some have AWD conversions. Couple that with weighing ~2500lbs-they are rocket ships...and most have their go-pro's rolling and ready to post their kill on social media ASAP. I would much rather run a "faster" car (I guess they are trying to do the same). In the end, I respect them and the work they put into their cars as we are all car guys and gyals at the end of the day!
The following 2 users liked this post by polobai:
Big Swole (05-21-2020), stout (05-19-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 06:47 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
I don't know if I was just the only one who caught that or? Lol!
r/whoosh
Old 05-19-2020, 06:49 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Guards_Red_991
I had the pleasure to drive a APR tuned Golf R. No one have a chance to win a race against that Golf unless you drive a 500 HP+ plus car. It was bonkers!
I've been tinkering with the idea of modding & tuning my S3, which is basically a Golf R with bit more lipstick. COBB stage 3 looks appealing by the day! Definitely has potential of turning into a good COVID stay-home-project.Then maybe, I can roll up next to y'all and ask if you want to roll.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 05-19-2020 at 07:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Guards_Red_991 (05-22-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 07:07 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by polobai
I try not to underestimate those "POS" cars that want to run you. As a matter of fact, I wont run a honda/acura with unknown mods because 9 times out of 10-they are well over 500whp and some have AWD conversions. Couple that with weighing ~2500lbs-they are rocket ships...and most have their go-pro's rolling and ready to post their kill on social media ASAP. I would much rather run a "faster" car (I guess they are trying to do the same). In the end, I respect them and the work they put into their cars as we are all car guys and gyals at the end of the day!
You're absolutely right. There are a lot of young punks who'll try to reel you in with their highly modded rice rockets. And yes, some of them are definitely potent and fast. With go-pros and social media, all of us are just one egocentric-stupid decision from losing it all and I'm sure we can all agree that we have way more to lose than the other guy. Being an enthusiast vs. an egomaniac are two different things. Hopefully the latter will wisen up before it's too late.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
Good point, and there are few things I like more than a proper sleeper.

But I've seen the aftermath firsthand of street racing, having been first to arrive on the scene when I heard that certain sound coming up Geary in SF. Two Hondas, both WOT, which is a sound like nothing else no matter what's making it. Flew by me (I was getting something out of the back door of my WRX…unfortunately on the street side of the car after getting out). Less than a block up the hill, a hapless guy in a Lexus ES300 turned across their path. He should have been looking/done the time-distance judgement, but that part of Geary is uphill in steps from intersection to intersection, and who is expecting two cars flat out in a 25? It was a big hit, shoving the Lexus into the corner of a building with all airbags popped and all glass shattered. Amazingly, no one was hurt—at least not obviously. One of the Hondas came back wrong way, then took off. The other one wasn't going anywhere…and the driver had his teenage (?) friend or girlfriend with him....
polobai (05-20-2020)
Old 05-19-2020, 10:02 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
One summer evening when I was in high school, a candy red '67 Mustang pulled into a gas station. I gotta say, it was a nicely restored eye candy for sure. In the passenger seat was what appeared to be his trophy Barbie girl friend. Everyone was staring at this Mustang and of course, his trophy. It was pretty obvious this dude was soaking it all in. As he was leaving the gas station, he does a burn out and shortly thereafter, the entire rear axle separated from the car. It was like a seen in a movie. My buddies and I fell to the ground in uncontrollable laughter and almost pissed in my pants. I'll never forget.
That is hilarious for a true story. Kinda reminds me a few summers back rolling by a Starbucks in the next town with some hot moms sitting outside drinking their lattes enjoying the sun. There was stop and go traffic, and there I am with my shades on in my freshly cleaned black manual 911, windows and sunroof open , some AC/DC playing not obnoxiously loud, I look over trying to look bad **** and cool, then traffic moves - and i stall it like a d-bag and start fumbling with starting it left handed, cars beeping in back of me. Wife loved that story, but no where as good as yours.

I usually don't get the 'wanna roll', but in fact when I see another 911 on the interstate I will come up on them to get them to play a bit, usually dropping a gear or two, some do, conditions permitting some I don't know why they are driving a Porsche. I also like to see nice cars in action to just to see/hear what they got in the live.
Old 05-19-2020, 10:43 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sporty
That is hilarious for a true story. Kinda reminds me a few summers back rolling by a Starbucks in the next town with some hot moms sitting outside drinking their lattes enjoying the sun. There was stop and go traffic, and there I am with my shades on in my freshly cleaned black manual 911, windows and sunroof open , some AC/DC playing not obnoxiously loud, I look over trying to look bad **** and cool, then traffic moves - and i stall it like a d-bag and start fumbling with starting it left handed, cars beeping in back of me. Wife loved that story, but no where as good as yours.

I usually don't get the 'wanna roll', but in fact when I see another 911 on the interstate I will come up on them to get them to play a bit, usually dropping a gear or two, some do, conditions permitting some I don't know why they are driving a Porsche. I also like to see nice cars in action to just to see/hear what they got in the live.
My first car was a '76 Volvo 4 speed that my dad let me drive. Not even a week had past after getting my driver's license just after my 16th birthday, I went cruising with the boyz. I thought I was pretty cool back then...child of the 80s with hair band blasting out of a 1 speaker FM radio. Yeah, we thought we were special. A Camaro IROC pulls up next to us at a stop light with 2 daddy's princesses and there we were in a '76 Volvo. When the light turned green, the driver winks and burns out in the sweet sounding V8. To regain my manhood, I slammed on the gas and stalled the car. Needless to say, I wasn't very good at driving a stick at the time. Cars behind were honking and in my multiple attempts to restart the car, I flooded the carburetor. Needless to say, it was an embarrassing moment for the 4 of us pushing my ride off to the side.
The following 4 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
david (05-20-2020), P991GTS (05-25-2020), polobai (05-20-2020), Rich_Jenkins (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 04:16 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I've been tinkering with the idea of modding & tuning my S3, which is basically a Golf R with bit more lipstick. COBB stage 3 looks appealing by the day! Definitely has potential of turning into a good COVID stay-home-project.Then maybe, I can roll up next to y'all and ask if you want to roll.
I have a client that has this, I think with APR with some other mods. He is running E85 much of the time and loves taking out or at least scaring Lambos, among others. Funny thing is he drags on the street but his wife won't let him go to the track. She has her thoughts regarding safety a bit backwards.
Old 05-20-2020, 04:36 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wujohn
I have a client that has this, I think with APR with some other mods. He is running E85 much of the time and loves taking out or at least scaring Lambos, among others. Funny thing is he drags on the street but his wife won't let him go to the track. She has her thoughts regarding safety a bit backwards.
I will never drag or race on public roads but I'll definitely let loose when no one is looking.APR offers great products but I prefer DIY at home kinda stuff and looks like COBB released a tune for my '18 S3 (can't recall which MK). Tinkering and modding just never seem to end, which is a good thing as long as the wife doesn't know.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:35 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
25+ years ago, when I was poor, young and stupid (but still loved cars), the highlight of my day was when I could find a much nicer and faster car to run with me.. and by run I mean just see it leave me in the dust

of course there were no video reviews, I used to read car magazines front to back, over and over.. and seeing a nice car leave me in the dust was the only way to see said car in real action.

guess things havnt changed.. doubt any of these young kids are trying to offend you by presuming their car is any match for yours.. they just want to see your car go.. thats all

may be I am wrong
This exactly!

The problem though is all these mustangs (as a prevalent example) losing control and hiting me or someone else. Its not like back in the day when we revved up a B16 to hear Vtec.

Last edited by garfunkle; 05-20-2020 at 09:51 AM.
desmotesta (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 09:13 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
The problem though is all these mustangs (as a prevalent example) losing control and hiring me or someone else.
There are a ton of people out of work now, so that wouldn't be such a bad thing.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:31 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
This exactly!

The problem though is all these mustangs (as a prevalent example) losing control and hiring me or someone else. Its not like back in the day when we revved up a B16 to hear Vtec.
lol indeed..
Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

Seems that lately every Tesla on the road, and there are a lot of them in SoCal, wants to have a drag race. I don’t even bother making eye contact any more as I know what’s coming when the light turns green. Sadly, my impression is that the majority of Tesla owners are not “car guys” and mashing the accelerator is the extent of their driving experience.
At least the guys in the rice rockets, and fart canned pickup trucks are enthusiasts. I don’t race them either, but at least I know where they’re coming from.

Yes, yes I know that’s painting with a pretty broad stroke. And if you own a Tesla, don’t get your panties in a bunch. Your car is great. You are great. Everyone’s a winner.

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
ducktails (05-20-2020), polobai (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,413 Likes on 2,516 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Seems that lately every Tesla on the road, and there are a lot of them in SoCal, wants to have a drag race. I don’t even bother making eye contact any more as I know what’s coming when the light turns green. Sadly, my impression is that the majority of Tesla owners are not “car guys” and mashing the accelerator is the extent of their driving experience.

The following 3 users liked this post by LexVan:
dflowerz (05-20-2020), Rich_Jenkins (05-20-2020), stkdiver (05-22-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:40 PM
dflowerz
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Haven't had any racer boys for awhile, but on first road trip a few years ago on 101 in Oregon I got a guy in one of those bright yellow Chevy street rod style pickup trucks hugging my bumper. Curvy road. I sped up a bit and dropped him but stopped doing that stuff because I worry about them crashing trying to keep up. Also had some godawful noisy Subaru WRX wanting to race straight line outside of Walla Walla, Washington. Not a chance! I really love driving a good pace on curvy roads but with a LOT of reserve to be ready for the unexpected. I probably will never track my 911, but did many track days on sport bikes so know what fast on the track really means. I did come up on a Tesla Model 3 on a fun freeway onramp but backed off a bit as the driver seemed to not know what he was doing and I did not want him to crash. Another time on that same onramp I saw that a guy in some hopped up Japanese car had crashed the car into the guardrail on the outside of the turn. Thankfully no injuries except to his pride Racing Teslas off the line is kind of a fools errand due to the electric engine having all that torque from zero rpm. After almost 4 years of ownership I have yet to do a launch control on my 991.2 C2s. Maybe one of these days, but I owned many sport bikes that were much faster from a standing start than my 911, so the 911 has never felt fast in comparison. One other thing. Yes Seattle drivers are the worst! Seems like lately the number of drivers doing inexplicable things has increased a lot!
Big Swole (05-21-2020)

Quick Reply: Wanna roll?