Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Advice - Targa or Cab?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2020, 06:42 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

I love the targa, but at highway speeds, it gets very noisy. On longer trips I bring my -9db custom musician earplugs. I wish there was another solution to help with the wind noise at high speed, it gets tiring quickly. But it is still a great compromise, and is arguably the best looking 911 variant.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:18 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

Get the Cab, it's like having 2 different cars

My last car was a boxster 718S and I needed more room so now I have 991.2 cab
The following users liked this post:
Porsche911GTS'16 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:21 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrdude
what wings?
https://www.awe-tuning.com/awe-tunin...-wind-diffuser

Errrr... Not wings technically!
rockrdude (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 07:38 PM
Porsche911GTS'16
Drifting

Received 1,192 Likes on 574 Posts

Both are great options, but I am a cab guy. I think the Targa looks nice but I agree with others that it does not afford a true "top down" driving experience. I agree with 911CSC - I find the cab drives (almost) coupe-like with the top up. The hard top soft top in the 991 went a long way toward making the cab feel like a coupe in terms of cabin comfort and noise level. My biggest niggle with my cab is the rattle that emanates from the cab mechanism 80% of the time when the top is up. I have yet to figure out where it is coming from. It is a non-issue (in fact, all rattles are a non-issue) with the top down (which is how I drive the car 75% of the time here in So Cal).

If you get a cab, for sure get the SmartTop. It is the best mod I have made with my GTS cab. It is a total game-changer in terms of convenience. And another shout-out for the wind screen in the cab. I can drive 70+ mph with the windows and windscreen up and have a conversation without having to raise my voice. And women like it because their hair does not blow all over the place. Not to mention how much I love the sounds and the synthetic smells associated with top-down driving. Hot oil, burning rubber, the whir of the naturally aspirated flat six... I will submit that I can appreciate my 991.1 GTS's NA engine note better than my 991.2 GT3 Touring's engine note because of the drop top. Yeah, over 6,000 RPM, the Touring sounds amazing within the car, but even with less sound deadening than in my GTS, it is muted compared to the sound of the engine when driving my GTS with the top down.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 PM
911CSC
Pro

Received 365 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche911GTS'16
Both are great options, but I am a cab guy. I think the Targa looks nice but I agree with others that it does not afford a true "top down" driving experience. I agree with 911CSC - I find the cab drives (almost) coupe-like with the top up. The hard top soft top in the 991 went a long way toward making the cab feel like a coupe in terms of cabin comfort and noise level. My biggest niggle with my cab is the rattle that emanates from the cab mechanism 80% of the time when the top is up. I have yet to figure out where it is coming from. It is a non-issue (in fact, all rattles are a non-issue) with the top down (which is how I drive the car 75% of the time here in So Cal).

If you get a cab, for sure get the SmartTop. It is the best mod I have made with my GTS cab. It is a total game-changer in terms of convenience. And another shout-out for the wind screen in the cab. I can drive 70+ mph with the windows and windscreen up and have a conversation without having to raise my voice. And women like it because their hair does not blow all over the place. Not to mention how much I love the sounds and the synthetic smells associated with top-down driving. Hot oil, burning rubber, the whir of the naturally aspirated flat six... I will submit that I can appreciate my 991.1 GTS's NA engine note better than my 991.2 GT3 Touring's engine note because of the drop top. Yeah, over 6,000 RPM, the Touring sounds amazing within the car, but even with less sound deadening than in my GTS, it is muted compared to the sound of the engine when driving my GTS with the top down.
Big plus on the SmartTop

I also ordered the little triangles by the mirrors, I like to drive top down and all windows down too

I love the sound of the exhaust with top down, I already have the Soul Sport Cats on order

Porsche911GTS'16 (05-15-2020)
Old 05-15-2020, 09:00 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
To a convertible person, Targa ends up being a gimmick which only takes you half the way there.

Three ways to tell if your convertible person
1) you're attracted to motorcycles
2) You like to drive with your window down to the point where your passenger says "Put the damn window up, will yuh?"
3) You hate seat belts because they're too confining.
Far from a gimmick to me, and I have had lots of verts over the years starting with my very first car ever, a '68 Bonnevile, and I have ridden motorcycles all my life and still own one. Anyway, I thought I wanted a 991 Vert so that is the first one I test drove. Not bad and if there was no such thing as a Targa I would have one now; however, there is no better choice to me (and my wife). Great rearward visibility, great looking and no buffeting for me, which has a lot to do about one's seating position. I had a C7 and sold it because of the buffeting. To each their own though and you really need to drive them both to decide. Verts were very easy to find for test drives but I had to drive over 2 hours to drive a Targa, which prompted me to order one shortly thereafter.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:11 AM
T3X4S
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by rockrdude
I love the targa, but at highway speeds, it gets very noisy. On longer trips I bring my -9db custom musician earplugs. I wish there was another solution to help with the wind noise at high speed, it gets tiring quickly. But it is still a great compromise, and is arguably the best looking 911 variant.
I use the soft foam earplugs whenever I drive on the highway with the top down. I don't care if people think it's odd or find it funny that I use earplugs. I prefer to preserve my hearing and not go deaf prematurely over what some strangers on the road might think. I previously owned a BMW E93 convertible and used earplugs with the top down as well.
rockrdude (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 12:37 AM
MFC993
Racer

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

I'm a coupe guy .. but I have a 2019 Cayenne S as my DD and my wife likes cabs so this would be "her" car and my fun car ... therefore we are looking at '19 T4 GTS's
Hard edged for me .. open air for her
Old 05-16-2020, 02:08 AM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddman
To a convertible person, Targa ends up being a gimmick which only takes you half the way there.

Three ways to tell if your convertible person
1) you're attracted to motorcycles
2) You like to drive with your window down to the point where your passenger says "Put the damn window up, will yuh?"
3) You hate seat belts because they're too confining.
Disagree with 1, don’t get 2 or 3...

As everyone states, two different animals.

I can’t imagine not having a Targa. I was looking hard at a Cab last year, and had one for a day. Very nice. Drove a Targa for a hour and that was it. FUN, sporty, classy, elegant.

I have a 2019 Targa 4S. Minimal high speed noise, zero buffering. The rear window visibility is amazing. Handles like a dream. I feel much safer in the Targa and still have the open air experience. It’s not much, but there is some room in the back deck for travel/storage. It’s a plus having the back hatch opening for packing and cleaning. Smart Top is a must.

Then there is the 991.2 vs 992 dilemma 🇩🇪🏁

Good Luck!!

Last edited by Dkk16; 05-16-2020 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:24 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 635 Likes on 346 Posts

I'll tell you the best answer. After you test drive a cab and targa you will have your answer and will know which one you want. Not being a dick either. Drive both and you will know in which camp you belong.
WhiteHotPepper (07-09-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:34 AM
Stevelev
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 104 Posts

^What he said. Perhaps consider getting one of each ! 😉

I have a SmartTop in both cars and would suggest this is an excellent “mod” for either model. I do miss the ability to open or close the Targa top at similar speeds to the Cab. Having the Targa living north of the 49th has been awesome as I’m able to slap winters on and drive it all year ‘round. Also, I can comfortably drive it in cooler temps with the top down. As mentioned, rear visibility is better in the Targa compared to the Cab. The cab with top down will have a better or perhaps a slightly “more” open air experience. Frankly, I find both cars with the top down comfortable at speed and like Bob, don’t experience any buffeting in the Targa.
The following 2 users liked this post by Stevelev:
shammerman (05-16-2020), T3X4S (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 09:08 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by T3X4S
I use the soft foam earplugs whenever I drive on the highway with the top down. I don't care if people think it's odd or find it funny that I use earplugs. I prefer to preserve my hearing and not go deaf prematurely over what some strangers on the road might think. I previously owned a BMW E93 convertible and used earplugs with the top down as well.
absolutely agree. You should consider getting custom molded musician plugs. They will change you life, you hear everything clearly, just less loud. I use them at loud venues, concerts, when using loud power tools. Especially the -9db. Amazing. For very loud activities I have -25db filters.

i find the noise comfortable below 80km/h, above that you don’t hear the engine or exhaust anymore, just the roar of wind, so at highway speeds I prefer the top up, so I can hear the engine 😊. Too bad you can’t put it up at high speeds lol.

Old 05-16-2020, 09:46 AM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Ksdaoski
Targa looks great top up or down
It's louder than I expected with top down
top up and it's coupe like inside.
Also own a s2000 and had an Elise. So I'm an open top guy. Targa is very open and airy.
Doesn't feel like a convertible compromise at all.

And that bar...
So classic and classy!
​​​​​

Stunning color combo. Looks fantastic with silver bar and wheels. What color is the interior?
​​
Old 05-16-2020, 10:33 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,443 Likes on 2,354 Posts

Originally Posted by WBSailor
Would very much appreciate any owners advice on road noise level for the cabriolet versus the limited open air of the Targa?
I was going to refer you to a couple threads that may help, one of which I posted in this morning about someone asking about a 2018 Targa, but it just disappeared. What colors, options, etc. are you considering?
Old 05-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Stunning color combo. Looks fantastic with silver bar and wheels. What color is the interior?
​​
it’s a leather to sample black, but it looks black! Keadog above is the original owner and ordered it.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1012...-in-black.html

Keadog saw your comments on “stock” guilty! Seriously though can’t recommend the numeric short shift kit enough. Shifts very very smooth, and tighter than before. You notice it on every drive, and it’s all positive.

regarding open air vs closed, I asked my wife yesterday her thoughts, as we were driving...her perspective was you don’t see any of the closed aspects when seated, feels completely open air. To that point the bar is a 12-18” behind your head, and unless you’re an owl, you never see it or sense it. I do wish the top would operate while moving, even coasting to a red light. But the s2000 also needs to be fully parked, so I am used to that, having owned an s2000 for nearly 17 years.

Quick Reply: Buying Advice - Targa or Cab?