Sponsored by:

Passenger Side A/C blowing cool, but not cold

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 05:57 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Pavegeno928
I have gotten hissing sound near the Sport Chrono clock on the center of the dash. I know it has a leak somewhere but the dealer couldn't find it and just topped it off for me for free.

It only failed once on me and that was three hours from home in the Alabama summer. It was a nice drive home.
So they initially told you that they couldn't find a leak, so you didn't have one?
If they finally find the leak, do YOU have to pick up the tab because it's now out of warranty?
Old 05-14-2020, 06:05 PM
VA951
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
No longer freon these days, the word is "R134a"

Be an idea to get a recharge kit and DIY. I used to have to recharge my BMW E46 every 6-8 months with a can. Overall capacity was around 2 lb, a recharge kit was about a lb. Symptoms I would usually get were differential cooling, left vs. right. Plus an odd "gargling" sound which apparently was the air in the system cavitating under pressure.

Of course that's just a temporary measure, and that will not ensure the "correct" amount, or suck and refill, like they will do at a dealer. But at $20 it's worth considering if you are away from the dealer.

It's a pretty straightforward process.

Typical DIY here, but there are lots of them:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/how-to-recharge-ac

Actually the generic term is still freon, it's just now R-134a instead of the old R-12 that was phased out a while ago and is NLA.

Quick Reply: Passenger Side A/C blowing cool, but not cold