Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If you could choose a 991.2 tuning package or make your own?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 08:02 PM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 813 Likes on 542 Posts

Yeah while Im an enthusiast Im not addicted to any of this to the point of installing intercooler sprays and all this other nonsense. I learned back in the 90s its much easier to make a fast reliable car slower and unreliable with each step you push it. Then once your done investing an extra 20k good luck getting that back. For some guys tearing down their cars is and rebuilding them is Joy. For me turning the key and going is what matters. A simple OTS tune and some cats will do it. I dont need a Bazooka, my 10 shot 9mm will win most of the battles. Lets be honest, No one needs the Bazooka cause theres really no place to use it. That being said, please carry on
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (05-10-2020)
Old 05-10-2020, 08:19 PM
Mark Mullins
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by B Russ
Yeah while Im an enthusiast Im not addicted to any of this to the point of installing intercooler sprays and all this other nonsense. I learned back in the 90s its much easier to make a fast reliable car slower and unreliable with each step you push it. Then once your done investing an extra 20k good luck getting that back. For some guys tearing down their cars is and rebuilding them is Joy. For me turning the key and going is what matters. A simple OTS tune and some cats will do it. I dont need a Bazooka, my 10 shot 9mm will win most of the battles. Lets be honest, No one needs the Bazooka cause theres really no place to use it. That being said, please carry on
your everyday 9mm versus my Walther PPQ Match. Who wins the day? Really it comes down to the user as you pointed out. To each there own.
Old 05-10-2020, 08:32 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

iPE exhaust for sound.
WheelsB (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,488 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
iPE exhaust for sound.
I can't find any good non gt3 ipe exhaust videos for the 991.2 carrera s and gts
WheelsB (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:40 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 687 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Mullins
I took a 17k budget without shipping, tax or installation. I have followed Fabspeed for 10 years now and looked forward to the day I could work with them. On the other hand friends are telling me Akrapovik is the best sounding exhaust on a 911 and with a Cobb expert tune... We are also hoping to work a deal where we road trip to whomever for the install. They can dyno and video away part by part if they want. This whole thing is a life dream come true. After 26 years in the fire service I am retiring. The car and the road trip is the gift for us.

What kind of package would you put together if you could? Knowing you would travel to where you bought it for the install? We live in Seattle and want to stay in National park lodges as we go. Any advice welcome!
Mark, first of all congratulations on the retirement gift and thank you for what you've done in the field. What a way to celebrate and well deserved! We appreciate the shoutout and would be happy to work with you, whether you decide to go with us or another choice.

Let us know if you need some help on the installs, we have many CPP shops depending on your road trip route we can help you coordinate with to maybe do a video. We'd love to have the opportunity to help you find exactly what you want. I'll shoot you a DM and can answer any questions you may have.

Cheers!

Mark Mullins (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 02:04 PM
Mark Mullins
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Mark, first of all congratulations on the retirement gift and thank you for what you've done in the field. What a way to celebrate and well deserved! We appreciate the shoutout and would be happy to work with you, whether you decide to go with us or another choice.

Let us know if you need some help on the installs, we have many CPP shops depending on your road trip route we can help you coordinate with to maybe do a video. We'd love to have the opportunity to help you find exactly what you want. I'll shoot you a DM and can answer any questions you may have.

Cheers!
Wow! Wasn’t expecting that. You guys are awesome. To me the car scene has always been more about the community. Thank you for the kind words and reaching out!
Fabspeed Motorsport (05-12-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 05:13 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 158 Posts

I think you will find getting a lot of different answers. Generally speaking, there is a lot of great answers that will net the best gains while not sucking your wallet dry. I think, GTS/Tial turbos are needed for max gains that carry into the top end of the RPM range. And if it will be driven hard, you almost need the supporting cooling for them too.

But really, what is your goal, what do you want or plan to do with the car at the end of this journey. I think that would be the info I'd want to know before I told you what I would pick. Other things to consider would be a lighter/sticky-er wheel and tire combo, more cooling up front like a third radiator, are you AWD, manual or PDK? Might want to think about clutch(es) as the amount of high tq will limit what the clutch can do.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:27 PM
Mark Mullins
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 911.
I think you will find getting a lot of different answers. Generally speaking, there is a lot of great answers that will net the best gains while not sucking your wallet dry. I think, GTS/Tial turbos are needed for max gains that carry into the top end of the RPM range. And if it will be driven hard, you almost need the supporting cooling for them too.

But really, what is your goal, what do you want or plan to do with the car at the end of this journey. I think that would be the info I'd want to know before I told you what I would pick. Other things to consider would be a lighter/sticky-er wheel and tire combo, more cooling up front like a third radiator, are you AWD, manual or PDK? Might want to think about clutch(es) as the amount of high tq will limit what the clutch can do.
I plan to do a lot with it. Auto cross. Drag for fun. GTG’s. Touring. I agree cooling is key with these. I will definitely add larger IC’s. I am a base with pdk.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:42 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Center radiator kit is also a good option as @911. mentioned above. I have it on my car-under $1k and good piece of mind.
Mark Mullins (05-11-2020)
Old 05-12-2020, 03:39 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Probably won't tune my C4S till after 2023 when the warranty runs out, if then, but I've spent money at the Atlanta Experience Center for one of their drives and will be attending my third Porsche driving school at the Birmingham Barber track next month.

Can't help you with mods or shop to turn to, IMHO, if available, best to get to know local tuners for support and to build a working relationship. Join PCA and ask the local members for guidance, they can add to your knowledge from their experience.

If you haven't been, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon late in the season before closing, really inspiring. Gettysburg Military Park, Vicksburg, the sky's the limit. You're out west, you won't lack for drives.

Enjoy your retirement, similarly, I pulled the plug 2002 after 26.5 years public service. Stay safe.

Last edited by BSO; 05-12-2020 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 AM
Mark Mullins
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BSO
Probably won't tune my C4S till after 2023 when the warranty runs out, if then, but I've spent money at the Atlanta Experience Center for one of their drives and will be attending my third Porsche driving school at the Birmingham Barber track next month.

Can't help you with mods or shop to turn to, IMHO, if available, best to get to know local tuners for support and to build a working relationship. Join PCA and ask the local members for guidance, they can add to your knowledge from their experience.

If you haven't been, Yellowstone and the Grand Canyon late in the season before closing, really inspiring. Gettysburg Military Park, Vicksburg, the sky's the limit. You're out west, you won't lack for drives.

Enjoy your retirement, similarly, I pulled the plug 2002 after 26.5 years public service. Stay safe.
Appreciate it! Definitely not against staying local. i have had others suggest staying local as well for some pretty valid reasons. In fact just came across a shop who I will more than likely go with. Super excited about it. Still planning on the road trip!

Quick Reply: If you could choose a 991.2 tuning package or make your own?