Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.2 Vortex Generator to Improve Cooling?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 11:51 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 991.2 Vortex Generator to Improve Cooling?

So I have a number of threads out there on spoilers, increasing compressor efficiency, intercoolers, intercooler sprayers...... all in search for lower IAT's after I pulled the data logs from a few HPDE days to find that I had IAT's in the 180°F range and was pulling power. So while brain storming I was looking at the rear deck grill that reminded me a of a vortex generator, then I thought yes the spoiler does increase the AOA with the sunroof up so maybe this is all to help send air down to the intercoolers. That being said I thought about Vortex generators on a wing and how much more air by using them on the top of the rear window if that would help prevent air separation thus sending more air to the intercoolers.

Has anyone tried this yet?

Old 05-12-2020, 01:24 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

I've thought about this too. But for the 911, I don't think there's any significant flow separation from the rear windshield because the transition from the roof is very gentle. Where we saw vortex generators used back in the day were on Evos where there was a sharp angle going from the roof of the sedan body to the rear window which created massive flow separation.

There was some discussion about trying to improve airflow through the intercoolers a couple years ago.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1053...ervations.html

I found a video of the 992 in the wind tunnel which gives an idea of the relative lack of flow separation.

I figure the only way to really do it 'right' is to go GT2RS style. A real wing and scoops.

Old 05-12-2020, 09:53 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I agree, go with scoops.

Quick Reply: 991.2 Vortex Generator to Improve Cooling?