Sponsored by:

sound dampening for tire roar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 10:55 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Same here...it seems we were just discussing this a week ago in another thread!

Just found it...took about 30 seconds of searching this forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1190...nsulation.html

And there are many more. Maybe a Lexus would be a better choice.
Asking for specific input on tire noise and not for automotive purchases or miscellaneous stuff. If you have nothing useful to add, why bother?
Old 05-09-2020, 11:56 PM
AlexCeres
Rennlist Member

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I think most of the other threads recommended the comfort inflation pressure (eg slightly under inflating) or other tires. I do a lot of highway driving, and never notice the tires over the engine. If you are running PDK, maybe try sport mode or manual gear selection ? Normal mode is really “fuel economy” mode and it keeps the rpm far too low for highway cruising imo. granted highways in the north east are pretty crappily maintained
Old 05-10-2020, 12:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,718 Likes on 5,120 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
It is just tire roar. I have driven other 911s and they are all noisy. Winter tires are marginally better in my car. Backroads is fine where I enjoy the noise of the flat six. Highway speeds is where I notice tire roar. Seems like a common complaint. Nothing that can’t be fixed with ear plugs as a cheap fix.
Maybe don't drive the 911 on the highway? Save it just for the backroads perhaps.
Old 05-10-2020, 12:33 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

New tires will be quieter than worn tires.........
Old 05-10-2020, 05:02 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for the comments. I run comfort pressure, partial load.. Well aware of newer tires versus old ones. I dumped almost new Pirellis for Michelins nut did not notice any significant improvement. As for not driving my 911 on the highway, it is my only car so not possible. Bottom line is, it is the nature of the beast. Small cabin, wide tires and no wheel liners to speak of. I guess the only useful thing I learnt is that adding some sound deadening foam in the rear wheel wells might help. No biig deal. Ear plugs are cheap.

Quick Reply: sound dampening for tire roar?