Sponsored by:

Foam Cannon & Exterior Wash

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2020, 09:03 PM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 430 Likes on 307 Posts
Default mckees

I prefer this one and it works great cut up a cheap backpack to hold it while I work. Rubberized tip keeps paint safe and plenty of umph. Mckees 37.

Old 05-10-2020, 09:23 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by koven
i want to try the wolfgang rinseless, whats the process with this? do u dilute w/ water and just start wiping away? or do you rinse the car first?
Here's my process with 3 optional steps depending on how dirty the car is. If I don't do those 3 optional steps, the car wash takes me all of 20 minutes. With the extra steps, it takes me another 10 minutes longer. Disclaimer: I'm not a vendor or paid to use any of the products I mention.

Body wash (20 to 30 minutes)

1. Optional: Spray down water to remove grime if the car is extra dirty.

2. Mix 1oz of Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash to 3 gallons of water.

3. Optional: Add 2 squeezes of AMMO Boost to the solution if there is a lot of extra grime/dirt on the car (this also helps cut down on water spotting if your water is pretty hard).

4. Soak 4 to 5 microfiber towels in the rinseless wash solution.

5. Optional: Pre-treat each panel with Ammo Frothe Dry Foam for additional lubricity if the car is extra dirty.

6. Clean each panel with towel soaked in solution from top to bottom (fold towel to fourths and roll as you wipe) - discard towels once all sides are used.

7. Dry panel immediately with clean damp microfiber towel with AMMO Hydrate. (Alternatively: Use AMMO Reboot instead of Hydrate if you need to "renew" your sealant coating)

8. Optional: Wipe the car down with some AMMO Spit for some extra wax and shine.

Wheels wash (8 to 10 minutes)

Wheel Wash:

1. Optional: Spray wheels with Adam’s wheel cleaner if there is extra brake dust build-up.

2.. Mix in 2 squeezes of Ammo Brute Wheel soap with a bucket of water.

3. Clean wheels and tires w/ Ammo Brute solution w/ wheel brush and rinse.

4. Apply AMMO mud to tires.

For what it's worth, this is a process I've honed and experimented from reading detailing forums, the /r/autodetailing subreddit and trying different products / processes.

I have a pressure washer, an EGO leaf blower, foam cannon and all the other car washing toys. Ultimately I found this to be the best effort to results ratio for me. I've also tried ONR before but like Wolfgang because they have a bit more lubricity in their product which may aid in preventing scratches.

I've been doing this wash method for both of my cars for the last year (added AMMO Frothe to the regime recently for even more lubricity) and haven't had any issues with scratches or swirls. The key is to use a lot of microfiber towels and keep swapping them out to not cross contaminate.

I don’t miss hauling out my foam cannon / pressure washer, hooking it up and then dismantling it all after the wash.

Last edited by BlueShell; 05-10-2020 at 10:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlueShell:
koven (05-12-2020), SF_ (11-08-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:08 PM
The Boz Abides
Instructor

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rnl
I've been using the Stihl for years as well as the Kirkland microfibre cloths. I use 2 - 3 yellow cloths for each wash and I throw them out and don't reuse them.
A greener solution would be to wash them afterwards using something like this: Griot's Microfiber cleaner

I toss all of my microfibers into a pile and then the pile gets a separate machine washing using the Griots. The only microfibers I toss are the ones that may accidentally get dropped on the ground. I can tell you this product works wonders.
The following users liked this post:
CaliCarrera (05-11-2020)
Old 05-11-2020, 12:29 PM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Are any foam car wash brands to be avoided for centerlock wheels? I have read on other posts that some seem to discolor the centerlocks. TIA.
Old 05-12-2020, 10:24 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Are any foam car wash brands to be avoided for centerlock wheels? I have read on other posts that some seem to discolor the centerlocks. TIA.
Your are asking specifically about the splined centerlock nut?
Old 05-12-2020, 11:20 AM
Hurricane
Race Car

Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
Your are asking specifically about the splined centerlock nut?
Yes.
Old 05-12-2020, 05:58 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by Hurricane
Yes.
I have seen photos of those that look horrible. Are they anodized aluminum? A wheel cleaner like Meguiars acid cleaner could harm them. There are many wheel cleaners out there that are gentle and have a neutral ish ph. You can get an MSDS for any product and check the ph for yourself.
Old 05-12-2020, 06:09 PM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
Here's my process with 3 optional steps depending on how dirty the car is. If I don't do those 3 optional steps, the car wash takes me all of 20 minutes. With the extra steps, it takes me another 10 minutes longer. Disclaimer: I'm not a vendor or paid to use any of the products I mention.

Body wash (20 to 30 minutes)

1. Optional: Spray down water to remove grime if the car is extra dirty.

2. Mix 1oz of Wolfgang Uber Rinseless Wash to 3 gallons of water.

3. Optional: Add 2 squeezes of AMMO Boost to the solution if there is a lot of extra grime/dirt on the car (this also helps cut down on water spotting if your water is pretty hard).

4. Soak 4 to 5 microfiber towels in the rinseless wash solution.

5. Optional: Pre-treat each panel with Ammo Frothe Dry Foam for additional lubricity if the car is extra dirty.

6. Clean each panel with towel soaked in solution from top to bottom (fold towel to fourths and roll as you wipe) - discard towels once all sides are used.

7. Dry panel immediately with clean damp microfiber towel with AMMO Hydrate. (Alternatively: Use AMMO Reboot instead of Hydrate if you need to "renew" your sealant coating)

8. Optional: Wipe the car down with some AMMO Spit for some extra wax and shine.

Wheels wash (8 to 10 minutes)

Wheel Wash:

1. Optional: Spray wheels with Adam’s wheel cleaner if there is extra brake dust build-up.

2.. Mix in 2 squeezes of Ammo Brute Wheel soap with a bucket of water.

3. Clean wheels and tires w/ Ammo Brute solution w/ wheel brush and rinse.

4. Apply AMMO mud to tires.

For what it's worth, this is a process I've honed and experimented from reading detailing forums, the /r/autodetailing subreddit and trying different products / processes.

I have a pressure washer, an EGO leaf blower, foam cannon and all the other car washing toys. Ultimately I found this to be the best effort to results ratio for me. I've also tried ONR before but like Wolfgang because they have a bit more lubricity in their product which may aid in preventing scratches.

I've been doing this wash method for both of my cars for the last year (added AMMO Frothe to the regime recently for even more lubricity) and haven't had any issues with scratches or swirls. The key is to use a lot of microfiber towels and keep swapping them out to not cross contaminate.

I don’t miss hauling out my foam cannon / pressure washer, hooking it up and then dismantling it all after the wash.
thanks! appreciate the detailed breakdown, i ordered some off amazon will give it a go
Old 05-12-2020, 06:27 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Another vote for electric over 2 cycle blowers. I have a Stihl (all of my 2 cycle stuff is Stihl), but use a Worx on the car.
Yes - I have a Ryobi that's awesome and I use it for the driveway too.

Also - Careful with the combustion pressure washers... You want flow and not pressure for washing. High end electric pressure washers max out at 900-1100 PSI. Anything under $300 isn't making anywhere near that pressure even if it has a sticker that says otherwise.

Quick Reply: Foam Cannon & Exterior Wash