Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car "flagged" for performance tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:45 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,308 Likes on 735 Posts

Talk to your service advisor. Get a feel for the attitude of the dealer towards tunes/mods. My PA dealer was great about it even installed Cobb tunes in customers cars.
My car is in Fl now. I have to go through the motions again here but I'm close to my warranty ending and I'm going to self insure instead of getting an extended.
The following users liked this post:
GT3FZS (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 11:53 AM
GT3FZS
Rennlist Member

Received 213 Likes on 93 Posts

Was your PA Porsche dealer in the Pittsburgh metro area?
Thanks.
Old 05-07-2020, 02:31 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 545 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by awrryan
My car is a track car. There was a question about whether Porsche would warranty the replacement of the manual transmission since I use it on the truck and the car is, obviously, modified; however the engine and transmission are completely stock. The concern was that Porsche of North America would see the coilovers, wheels, roll bar, bucket seats harnesses and decals and question whether the transmission should be replaced under warranty. Ultimately, the dealership stood by me since they know the car and know that I did not modify the transmission and engine. Tranny was replaced. Modifications had nothing to do with the part to be replaced under warranty. That said, there is definitely a risk of a denial of claim
Did you have the GT4 shifter in there when it went? The shifter is the only thing I dislike about my car.
I had my trans replaced under warranty and don't want to chance anything.
As far as tracking the car, I can see insurance carriers questioning claims at the track, depending on the policy, but Porsche markets their cars with track numbers. Unless there is a specific disclaimer, I don't see how they can deny a claim on an unmodified set of components simply because of where it was driven.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:20 PM
RSBro
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Certainly S.A. dependent... coming from BWM they are very much like that, given the tuner enthusiasm for their models. She was very easy going about that stuff even though I had tracked mine and with it being the N63 or whatever 'hot vee' V8 they just released and was melting the internals, I had stuff fixed under extended warranty even though my tyres had clear signs of track use, etc. But it was never guaranteed. Always said the same as others have- it's a roll of the dice really and up to the manufacturer as to what they want to fix, based on what's actually broken.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:07 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

I wouldn't trust a dealer's verbal statements about whether the coffee was hot, much less about a warranty issue. Bottom line, if you tune the car, you should assume that your engine, transmission, axle etc. warranties are gone. The dealers can be nice when selling the tune telling you its no problem, but unless you have a signed written statement on dealer letterhead (and even then i'd be leary) saying your full warranty is retained, you're opening yourself up to a major *** pain if you have an issue. Maybe it'll get warrantied but you'll go through 411 loops to get it done.
The following 3 users liked this post by Quadcammer:
desmotesta (05-08-2020), George from MD (06-01-2020), The Ox (06-01-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,962 Likes on 937 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I wouldn't trust a dealer's verbal statements about whether the coffee was hot, much less about a warranty issue. Bottom line, if you tune the car, you should assume that your engine, transmission, axle etc. warranties are gone. The dealers can be nice when selling the tune telling you its no problem, but unless you have a signed written statement on dealer letterhead (and even then i'd be leary) saying your full warranty is retained, you're opening yourself up to a major *** pain if you have an issue. Maybe it'll get warrantied but you'll go through 411 loops to get it done.
this 1000%

couldnt agree more

embrace this approach and you will never be disappointed, surprised, flabbergasted or "bitch" about warranty denials in car forums.. Its common sense..
Old 05-31-2020, 10:17 PM
NJ991
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by LWG
Yes I noticed some car dealers are dealers for APR tuning. Very interesting.

I understand it's a risk that each person have to evaluate. Just wanted some feedback. Thank you!
interesting. I’ve only seen dealers offer the GIAC tune. Do you know of a dealer close by that offers the APR tune? I would pay extra to have a dealer apply the APR tune.
The following users liked this post:
The Ox (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 12:08 AM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
interesting. I’ve only seen dealers offer the GIAC tune. Do you know of a dealer close by that offers the APR tune? I would pay extra to have a dealer apply the APR tune.
I've seen VW dealers, not Porsche
Old 06-01-2020, 12:43 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

I have tuned 4 different Porsche cars including my recent TTS. I have never been looking to aggressively tune any of my cars, Stage 2 on most to improve throttle response, bring on torque lower in the rpm range and improve overall performance.
It is really your choice whether or not to tune but I believe if you don't try to ring every last bit of hp out of the car the Porsche engines are really strong and can handle tuning. I have never had an issue.
Can someone who tunes have an issue or be refused warranty, yes. But I do feel the reputable tunes are where you should concentrate. I have had Cobb twice but I am sure there are others to consider.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:12 AM
koven
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by NJ991
i think thats because giac is very conservative compared to cobb and apr

anyway tunes are a risk of course but your warranty would probably run out long before a tune blows your engine or tranny
Old 06-01-2020, 10:58 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

My dealer in Pa was installing the Cobb tune. I got mine from Sam but my dealer switched from installing Giac to Cobb.
Old 06-10-2020, 06:21 PM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Interestingly, I wanted to order the Softronic tune and was worried about the warranty issue as I still have 3 more years left. This is the responds from Scott at Softtronic a while back:

"Unfortunately that isn't correct as the dealer cant tell by checking it, as all they can see is the file version that's in the car and not if its tuned or in the original state."

So, are you guys sure the dealer can actually see if there was ever a tune installed?
Old 06-10-2020, 08:34 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,375 Likes on 795 Posts

Originally Posted by alvitdk
Interestingly, I wanted to order the Softronic tune and was worried about the warranty issue as I still have 3 more years left. This is the responds from Scott at Softtronic a while back:

"Unfortunately that isn't correct as the dealer cant tell by checking it, as all they can see is the file version that's in the car and not if its tuned or in the original state."

So, are you guys sure the dealer can actually see if there was ever a tune installed?
There are many ways they can figure it out

Quick Reply: Car "flagged" for performance tune