Sponsored by:

Car "flagged" for performance tune

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Received 635 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Car "flagged" for performance tune

I searched about this topic and I have seen this on a bunch of Audi / VW forums, that cars were denied warranty for one reason or another, and the car was "flagged" in the database for having a modified performance tune.

Has anyone heard of this happening with Porsche?

Contemplating the APR tune but dont really feel like playing "Russian Roulette" on a car with 4.5 years of warranty left.

Obviously this can go in either direction. If by some chance someone experiences a complete engine failure and Porsche finds out you had a tune on it, could be an issue.

I've had tunes on other cars but they werent in the same league so it makes me question if this is a chance worth taking.

Old 05-06-2020, 01:37 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 185 Posts

It's definitely dealer dependent - on one end of the spectrum you'll find dealers that sell the tune, on the other end you'll find dealers that are very strict and have denied warranties over a tune. Not only is it dealer dependent, but is also SA dependent...

It's a certain risk you have to evaluate your own comfort for, thats the best answer.
The following users liked this post:
LWG (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:42 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LargePuppy
It's definitely dealer dependent - on one end of the spectrum you'll find dealers that sell the tune, on the other end you'll find dealers that are very strict and have denied warranties over a tune. Not only is it dealer dependent, but is also SA dependent...

It's a certain risk you have to evaluate your own comfort for, thats the best answer.
Yes I noticed some car dealers are dealers for APR tuning. Very interesting.

I understand it's a risk that each person have to evaluate. Just wanted some feedback. Thank you!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

My Service Manager is a complete hard *** about performance mods. I would never go there with a tuned car.
The following 3 users liked this post by AdamSanta85:
LWG (05-06-2020), polobai (05-07-2020), The Ox (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:44 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Porsche can run a scan and report in PWIS which will identify if the DME has been modified. The do have the possibility of flagging the car if they determine that there was a performance modification. This includes non-DME modifications such a a piggy back. My personal theory is that they maximum torque is logged similar to how over revs are logged. I have no proof to my theory.

With that being said, I have a APR tune on my car and I flashed back to stock for oil change, nothing was said to me about it. I also had a Macan Turbo that had a tune and I returned it off of lease (unpaired the COBB access port) and nothing was ever said.

With the Macan Turbo, when I retuned the car they opened up a warranty claim because somehow/someway while on the tow truck going to the dealer the front air suspension started leaking. The air suspension was fixed after I took possession of my new 911.

There is definitely a risk you have to take and nobody can guarantee that your warranty would not be compromised. After all, YOU are modifying the car.
LWG (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:46 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,134 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
With that being said, I have a APR tune on my car and I flashed back to stock for oil change, nothing was said to me about it.
I have a feeling if it was there for a blown engine they would have.

My fear is not so much the tune, as it is if something unrelated to tune fails, but engine related, and it getting blamed on the tune as an excuse. I don't think I could afford a $30k+ hit for a new motor.
LWG (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 01:48 PM
Cheshi143
Pro

Received 284 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I have a feeling if it was there for a blown engine they would have. My fear is not so much the tune, as it is something unrelated to tune fails, and it getting blamed on the tune as an excuse.
Originally Posted by Cheshi143
There is definitely a risk you have to take and nobody can guarantee that your warranty would not be compromised. After all, YOU are modifying the car.
My closing remarks.
LWG (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:25 PM
Truble10
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 88 Posts

I have a feeling if it was there for a blown engine they would have.

My fear is not so much the tune, as it is if something unrelated to tune fails, but engine related, and it getting blamed on the tune as an excuse. I don't think I could afford a $30k+ hit for a new motor.
I decided to pass on a tune due to warranty. There was still factory warranty and CPO. My dealer is not too mod friendly. They do not sell any tunes and both my service advisor and service manager have advised me against a tune. They did not say not to do it but it was clear they were not recommending it. Every dealer is different but I was not going to risk losing my warranty as I specifically wanted a CPO.
LWG (05-06-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 02:28 PM
LWG
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Truble10
I decided to pass on a tune due to warranty. There was still factory warranty and CPO. My dealer is not too mod friendly. They do not sell any tunes and both my service advisor and service manager have advised me against a tune. They did not say not to do it but it was clear they were not recommending it. Every dealer is different but I was not going to risk losing my warranty as I specifically wanted a CPO.
My car has 2.5 years of original warranty left and then another 2 CPO. I think Im going to pass on it too.
Old 05-06-2020, 03:04 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 553 Likes on 335 Posts

One of the first questions I asked the service advisor was regarding tunes and warranty. His response boiled down to this;

If you bring in your tuned car for service, we'll work on the car. I'm sure they will also install stuff that carry separate warranties.

If you bring in your tuned car for warranty work, the coverage decision is from PCNA, not the dealer.

So I can see them denying engine, transmission, rotating assemblies and even chassis components if you have an engine tune. You can buy a Porsche X51 powerkit (available for 991.1, not 991.2). I'm fairly certain that's authorized.

From the warranty manual:

• Unauthorized modifications or vehicles with total loss or salvage titles.
• Modifications not authorized by PCNA.

I don't think you can't commonly obtain such authorizations.

Not worth the aggro unless you have deep pockets and assume the liability for the extra performance.

Last edited by BSO; 05-06-2020 at 03:36 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by BSO:
AlexCeres (05-06-2020), George from MD (05-07-2020), LWG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-06-2020, 03:52 PM
The Ox
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

My Service Manager is a complete hard *** about performance mods. I would never go there with a tuned car.
I'm also on LI, would you mind telling me which dealer? I'm considering switching and will cancel yours off my list. Thanks.

Last edited by The Ox; 05-06-2020 at 04:56 PM.
LWG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 01:40 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

I am aware of the Audi TD1 flag, many manufacturers came up with their own with the wave of the small engine turbo cars, I also don't know if Porsche has their own.
I just can't resist a tune though, and will deal with consequences. I'm more worried about the electronics on my car than the powertrain, by a very long way.
The following 2 users liked this post by _RS_:
koala (06-10-2020), LWG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:05 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 259 Likes on 172 Posts

You have to pay to play. If you don’t feel comfortable with modding/tuning your car in fear of voiding the warranty, then don’t mod/tune your car. Every automaker, VAG especially, can detect if your car has been tuned even if you flash the ECU back to stock before a dealership visit. If you decide to pay to play, stick with reputable tuners. Powertrains, especially on modern 911s, are exceptionally built and won’t just explode from a simple tune/mod. JMHO. I’ve always modded/tuned my toys. So far so good for me.
LWG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 03:47 AM
Joec500
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 554 Posts

I had a failure where my manual transmission car wouldn't activate the reverse lights and they almost didn't cover it under warranty because I had a numeric shifter on there. At the last minute they ended up warrantying it, but I did have a bit of a scare. Some people have good luck with mods, some don't it's truly a roll of the dice.
LWG (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 08:36 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

My car is a track car. There was a question about whether Porsche would warranty the replacement of the manual transmission since I use it on the truck and the car is, obviously, modified; however the engine and transmission are completely stock. The concern was that Porsche of North America would see the coilovers, wheels, roll bar, bucket seats harnesses and decals and question whether the transmission should be replaced under warranty. Ultimately, the dealership stood by me since they know the car and know that I did not modify the transmission and engine. Tranny was replaced. Modifications had nothing to do with the part to be replaced under warranty. That said, there is definitely a risk of a denial of claim

Quick Reply: Car "flagged" for performance tune