Sponsored by:

Tial Charge Piping Impressions & Suppliers

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2020, 09:11 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Tial Charge Piping Impressions & Suppliers

So I have been trying to lower my IAT's using the stock X51 turbo's. I have a set of intercoolers and new plenum but am intrigued by the Tial charge piping.

Assuming my math is correct and the 3.0L engine at 19PSI of boost there could be as much as 3PSI of savings. That would translate to as much as 30°F lower IAT, guessing at the change in compressor efficiency.

If there are any first hand reports from those that have installed without upgrading turbo's I would love to hear your impressions and would like to find a supplier for them also.

Old 05-04-2020, 10:03 PM
Ksdaoski
Rennlist Member

Received 1,822 Likes on 911 Posts

https://www.jegs.com/i/TiAL-Sport/768/007019/10002/-1
Old 05-04-2020, 10:48 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Thank you!
Old 05-05-2020, 08:42 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Wow that’s a great price! I have them installed on my Carerra T with Base turbos-honestly can’t feel much of a difference with the exception of increased spool but will have my tune tweaked this week to account for them as well as the BMC air filter. Can hear a bit more spool sounds at low to mid rpm but no blow off valve sounds.
Old 05-07-2020, 12:59 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by polobai
Wow that’s a great price! I have them installed on my Carerra T with Base turbos-honestly can’t feel much of a difference with the exception of increased spool but will have my tune tweaked this week to account for them as well as the BMC air filter. Can hear a bit more spool sounds at low to mid rpm but no blow off valve sounds.
I think it would be near impossible to feel, the proof would be in the IAT's primarily. I honestly expected the spool to be a bit delayed due to the increased volume in the piping so it is great to hear you did not lose ground.
Old 05-07-2020, 03:39 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 587 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I think it would be near impossible to feel, the proof would be in the IAT's primarily. I honestly expected the spool to be a bit delayed due to the increased volume in the piping so it is great to hear you did not lose ground.
Spool should be faster with the lower restriction because it's on the suction side. You're not trying to pressurize anything Now on the compressor discharge side, larger volume can slow down transient response because it takes longer to pressurize a larger volume.
The following users liked this post:
polobai (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 06:47 PM
polobai
Drifting

I have not noticed much difference in IAT's that I can tell-when the car is moving with good airflow, the IAT's are pretty much at ambient air temps but they were there before the pipes also. Maybe they get there quicker...but I would have to do more driving to say for sure.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by polobai
I have not noticed much difference in IAT's that I can tell-when the car is moving with good airflow, the IAT's are pretty much at ambient air temps but they were there before the pipes also. Maybe they get there quicker...but I would have to do more driving to say for sure.
Performance difference as measured using IATs may be hard to see as it can be in the error or resolution. Youll see the difference more prominently measuring compressor outlet temp. I think Tyler was saying like 10 degree difference of something like that. Figure the intercooler is 70% efficient, that turns into 3deg IAT difference. Performance gain is not just in lower compressor discharge temps, but the Turbo is also spinning slower, so lower exhaust manifold pressure which helps free up power. It's definitely incremental performance increase, but it's definitely there and measurable.
dsddcd (05-07-2020)
Old 05-07-2020, 07:12 PM
polobai
Drifting

Agree-it makes sense!
Old 05-07-2020, 11:20 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
Spool should be faster with the lower restriction because it's on the suction side. You're not trying to pressurize anything Now on the compressor discharge side, larger volume can slow down transient response because it takes longer to pressurize a larger volume.
I thought the pipes were the discharge not the suction, so you are absolutely correct.

Thank you for the correction on that I would have felt like a moron trying to install them on the compressor discharge ;-)
Old 05-08-2020, 01:54 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

To be fair, it's like a family of squids back there with the turbo inlet and outlet piping, IC ducting, bazillion vacuum lines...
the_buch (05-09-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 12:18 PM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

I am slightly skeptical that these inlets help a great deal in real world applications on the street where partial throttle is normal and bursts of full throttle are far and few between. They might help. The value is TBD. Especially if you are trying to push beyond GTS stock levels

With that said, they probably work well on the dyno or race track.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:17 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ClassJ
I am slightly skeptical that these inlets help a great deal in real world applications on the street where partial throttle is normal and bursts of full throttle are far and few between. They might help. The value is TBD. Especially if you are trying to push beyond GTS stock levels

With that said, they probably work well on the dyno or race track.
The higher the airflow, the bigger difference they will make. So you are correct, if you're just driving around on the street, it's not going to do much because the airflow is very low. You're only using like 20hp-40hp just cruising on the street. Where the benefit is gained is with sustained full-throttle use, so on a road course, drag strip, etc.
Old 05-09-2020, 01:46 AM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
The higher the airflow, the bigger difference they will make. So you are correct, if you're just driving around on the street, it's not going to do much because the airflow is very low. You're only using like 20hp-40hp just cruising on the street. Where the benefit is gained is with sustained full-throttle use, so on a road course, drag strip, etc.
I am looking to reduce the IAT's on my GTS which has a boxed tune from GIAC. Currently the car will see IAT's of over 180°F on a 75°F day and pull a fair amount of power. I have intercoolers, Fabspeed Headers, IPD and BMC filter getting ready to go on but I figure while I was in there it would be too hard to add the piping. The goal is to reduce the turbo discharge temps by lowering the pressure ratio.

My cars has the sport design package so I also plan to test with the spoiler in the high and low positions to see if the change in inclination might help also.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:22 AM
ClassJ
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by dsddcd
I am looking to reduce the IAT's on my GTS which has a boxed tune from GIAC. Currently the car will see IAT's of over 180°F on a 75°F day and pull a fair amount of power. I have intercoolers, Fabspeed Headers, IPD and BMC filter getting ready to go on but I figure while I was in there it would be too hard to add the piping. The goal is to reduce the turbo discharge temps by lowering the pressure ratio.

My cars has the sport design package so I also plan to test with the spoiler in the high and low positions to see if the change in inclination might help also.
How do these IAT’s compare to the stock tune?

From what I read in Porsche documents and below the car will automatically raise the rear spoiler if it sees intake temps rising.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1053...ervations.html

Quick Reply: Tial Charge Piping Impressions & Suppliers