Sponsored by:

Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2020, 07:45 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 464 Likes on 206 Posts
Default Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS

A new set of these tires were mounted on factory 20 inch wheels and installed on my 2012.5 C2 last month after alignment. My car was delivered with PZero tires in June 2012 and they were replaced with a set of Michelin PSS.

I am grateful to the dealer who talked me into purchasing a 5 year tire and wheel policy,then only about $1300 as the Pirelli and Michelin tires effectively removed every bit of road debris they encountered - the warranty provider bought more tires than I can recall, replaced a wheel and fixed a few others. Winters tires (factory Pirelli Sottozero II) on 19 inch wheel were used every year without any problems and they have now aged out even though they still have tread.

I wanted an all season set to avoid the rush to the dealer to swap tires and to allow me to use my daily driver in all temperatures - I avoid snow and not because I do not believe that the car is not capable, but I fear the 4 wheel bandits around here who do not understand the concept of coefficient of friction on ice.

I have noticed that the new tires seem what I can only describe as more stable or firmly planted than the Pirelli or Michelin tires. Almost as if they are heavier.
The also seem to require a lot of "wake up" time to heat up before they provide their best performance. The mileage appears to be lower but the smoothness of ride, noise (my Michelin tires were horribly noisy), tracking (which may be a function of the new alignment), grip, low temperature performance before and after heat up is very good, fatigue factor (my own term for lack of twitchy performance) is low. The tires seem to not over or understeer and hard left and right turns at speed are compliant. I do not track my car and if I did I would probably get separate wheels and dedicated racing tires.

Overall, I am pleased with these tires that cost $905 before a $70 rebate at tire rack
The following users liked this post:
subwoofer (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 08:20 AM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

Very nice summary and thanks for the recommendation. I am thinking of them as well as my rears (Michelins) are down to 4-5/32nds. BTW, the tires are heavier by 4-6 lbs according to the specs on TR's website.
Old 05-03-2020, 12:51 PM
koala
Three Wheelin'

Received 540 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm planning to give these a try when my rear Pirelli's wear out. The main appeals for me would be potentially adding a month or two to my driving season, along with less tire noise. I'm fearful, though, that they'll negatively impact the steering feel/weight, but from your review, that appears to not be an issue?

If and when I ever get back into going to the track, I'd probably be more inclined to use my Golf R for that purpose. Both cars are way beyond my driving ability anyway.
Old 05-03-2020, 02:12 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

OP I love this line...’I avoid snow and not because I do not believe that the car is not capable, but I fear the 4 wheel bandits around here who do not understand the concept of coefficient of friction on ice.’ 😊

Also I have the Bridgestones and I am very pleased with them.
rnl (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 02:37 PM
GKGEIGER
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 78 Posts

I hope you know there is an identical thread with over 250 replies about this tire. Good reading. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...a-re980as.html
Old 05-03-2020, 04:06 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GKGEIGER
I hope you know there is an identical thread with over 250 replies about this tire. Good reading. https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1103...a-re980as.html
thanks
Old 05-03-2020, 04:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

It is dawning on me that these tires make a lot of sense, even if the purists hate them. First, the stock Pirellis are downright dangerous below 40F, and particularly when it is damp. Second, for street use, how much performance is really needed? Lastly, maybe I will get a chance to use my heated seats and steering wheel. I hate not using the car during cold weather, and buying a winter set is not on my shopping list. Probably about one more season for the rears on my Carrera, then will go to the Bridgestone AS.
T3X4S (05-03-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 05:43 PM
wilsonaudio
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

I just added a set of these to my C2 which is my daily driver. So far so good. Much better than the Pirelli's.
Old 05-03-2020, 11:20 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
It is dawning on me that these tires make a lot of sense, even if the purists hate them. First, the stock Pirellis are downright dangerous below 40F, and particularly when it is damp. Second, for street use, how much performance is really needed? Lastly, maybe I will get a chance to use my heated seats and steering wheel. I hate not using the car during cold weather, and buying a winter set is not on my shopping list. Probably about one more season for the rears on my Carrera, then will go to the Bridgestone AS.
Performance? I was thinking about the Pzeros and Mpss and their weight. With lighter tires, acceleration is probably better, however, slightly twitchy and on poor roads (meaning every fricking road in Pennsylvania) uncomfortable. The Pennsylvania Turnpike is in a constant state of repair. For some reason unknown to me they keep digging up the road at the seams that cross perpendicular to travel. In most cars I barely notice the thumps and vibrations, not the 991 with the stock and mpss tires. I traveled east towards Philadelphia yesterday at at steady speed just below 80 mph (it's 70 speed limit and the staties spot you 10) and noticed the absence of annoying vibration and noise with these new tires.

Could the heavier tire account for a more "planted" feel, less noise and vibration?

Old 05-03-2020, 11:56 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

My point on performance is that on the street, the AS should have plenty of stick. Your MPSS are likely pretty rigid, but as tires wear, the ride and noise does tend to deteriorate. Perhaps the renewed tread the rebalanced tires and wheels have restored your ride quality.
rnl (05-04-2020)

Quick Reply: Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS