Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stolen Targa in California

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The other 2 cars are still missing. The BMW was older and only worth $5K or so..
Old 05-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,194 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Monster231
Crazy Update: The car was recovered. It was found 30 miles away in a very nice neighborhood. It was parked in the driveway of a very nice house, whose owners live there part-time and were not in at the time. The car was detailed, and the tank was filled. The key was missing so it was towed to the dealer. The DME looks great. too bad they did not put some new tires on!! more details to come!
So weird! Guess the thief was putting some love into the car.
Old 05-09-2020, 09:48 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,586 Posts

Crazy Update: The car was recovered. It was found 30 miles away in a very nice neighborhood. It was parked in the driveway of a very nice house, whose owners live there part-time and were not in at the time. The car was detailed, and the tank was filled. The key was missing so it was towed to the dealer. The DME looks great. too bad they did not put some new tires on!! more details to come!
That is hilarious.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Im just an old suspicious person. The entire story is very suspect. Insurance fraud?
Old 05-09-2020, 12:34 PM
maj75
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

There is still someone out there with keys to the car and knows where it is kept. Can Porsche change the key code so the old key won’t work?
Old 05-09-2020, 01:12 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

What if the owner just forgot it at his other home.... and then when he went back after a while he's like Oh! There you are!

I think we tend to over estimate the nefarious aspect of life, and underestimate our own forgetfulness / foolishness... I'm certainly guilty!
Old 05-09-2020, 01:45 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

See my previous post, the car was likely being "cooled off" prior to being moved/transported. Thieves may have known that this house was intermmitently occupied. There's no mention that the house where the car was found was connected to the car owner in any way.

Thieves are wary of tracking devices and will wait and see if enforcement agencies find the car.

This is common, lots of videos of car recoveries from parking lots and residential areas. Areas where cars are commonly seen.

Private tracking device companies, LoJack is one, provide tracking equipment to police agencies to fight car thefts and aid recoveries.

As to the car being cleaned, if this was a "very nice neighborhood", a dirty car in a driveway could have attracted attention.

Insurance fraud? Possible, if the owner was upside down in loan and was in financial straights or the car required expensive repairs that outstripped its value or any of many factors. There are insurance company investigators for this type of schemes.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:03 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

So we do have a nefarious element at large!
Old 05-09-2020, 02:08 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

He just forgot to move it from his mistress home and was too embarrassed to tell his wife.

Well, since we are dwelling in conspiracy theories. In any event, glad the owner got it back and sure, reprogram with new keys
Old 05-09-2020, 03:45 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,097 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Lojack is an option that used to be popular. I am not a fan of messing with factory wiring in these cars though for warranty and future electrical concerns.

I would say a garage and locking the car is your best bet. I can't imagine many thieves going beyond that.

Manual transmission does help.

I think that in general if my car is stolen, I probably don't want it back as long as insurance is paying out and getting a new one, as who knows how it was treated.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:20 PM
Monster231
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Definitely not insurance fraud. I think it was someone that had access to the house and knew their way around. Cleaning person, pool guy etc. It's a tough time for many, and people will do crazy things when it comes to money.
Old 05-09-2020, 07:30 PM
SeymourButts
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

How did they find the car? Did the cops just happen to find it by cruising through the neighborhood? Do you think the owner of the house bought it from the crooks not knowing it's a stolen car?
Old 05-09-2020, 07:50 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 34 Posts

Once while living n Belgium, my BMW 530 was stolen by some young joy riders. The police found it in another city parked outside
a housing project. One I verified to the police that I was the owner, they removed the tire valve stem cores, flattening all four tires. This preventing the thieves from returning and running off with car. A friend drove me to the scene where after appropriate identification and proof of ownership were provided, they reinstalled the valve cores, inflated the tires and sent me on my way.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:27 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Don't leave your Porsche keys lying around in plain sight when you're not at home, keep the car locked.

If you're away for any length of time and you have a safe, put your car keys there.

If the thieves are brazen and want the car, they will go into the house when it's occupied and look for your keys. Happened to an owner in one of the Nordic countries, he posted the incident on the forum. Not a common occurrence, but happens.

Quick Reply: Stolen Targa in California