Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Something I discovered today to get crap out of buttons that may be helpful

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2020, 05:50 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts
Default Something I discovered today to get crap out of buttons that may be helpful

So I was in the coffee stand drive thru and the sun came into the cab just right for me to see some dried gross crap in between some of my console buttons (thank you previous owner).
It was wedged in there pretty good, but after I was done with my ice raspberry black tea, I pinched one end of the straw and stuck it in between the buttons and trim and it worked great! It's flexible enough to even go around the corners.

Anyway, that is my public service announcement. Seems like someone was having an issue not too long ago? Thought my discovery could help. 😊
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (04-30-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 06:38 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

At least it wasn't a used prophylactic or soiled underwear under the seats. The joys of buying a used car. Those 'discoveries' can be so enthralling.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:45 PM
SConn
Drifting

It was more about the tool for tight places rather than the gunk stuck in the buttons...
Old 04-29-2020, 06:51 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Received 718 Likes on 480 Posts

Great. Ill give it a try.

So far, contact Cleaner liberally sprayed into the crevices has helped a little.

Old 04-29-2020, 06:55 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins
Great. Ill give it a try.

So far, contact Cleaner liberally sprayed into the crevices has helped a little.
My buttons weren't sticking, but there was definitely something spilled there at one point. The straw just flicked it right out.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:59 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
So I was in the coffee stand drive thru and the sun came into the cab just right for me to see some dried gross crap in between some of my console buttons (thank you previous owner).
It was wedged in there pretty good, but after I was done with my ice raspberry black tea, I pinched one end of the straw and stuck it in between the buttons and trim and it worked great! It's flexible enough to even go around the corners.

Anyway, that is my public service announcement. Seems like someone was having an issue not too long ago? Thought my discovery could help. 😊
​​​​​
u mustn’t be in Ca. They outlawed straws there😀😀
Old 04-29-2020, 07:05 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by Homeles
u mustn’t be in Ca. They outlawed straws there😀😀
Ha! No, Washington. But I was actually surprised when they handed me the straw. They usually use the sippy cup lids. Must have run out because they're so busy with everyone staying home so well...
Old 04-29-2020, 07:09 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 393 Posts

It was more about the tool for tight places rather than the gunk stuck in the buttons...
Cool. I only permit H2O for myself during the longer drives in the summer. I am the only driver. No coffee, no sticky fluids of any kind or food. The crevices do collect dust/pollen and it is very annoying. A strong vacumm cleaner gets it clean. Annual spring detailing also helps keep the car clean after NH winters.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:18 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

My buttons weren't sticking, but there was definitely something spilled there at one point. The straw just flicked it right out.
Phew. I had visions of you sucking the gunk out through the straw
_RS_ (05-05-2020)
Old 04-29-2020, 07:20 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
Cool. I only permit H2O for myself during the longer drives in the summer. I am the only driver. No coffee, no sticky fluids of any kind or food. The crevices do collect dust/pollen and it is very annoying. A strong vacumm cleaner gets it clean. Annual spring detailing also helps keep the car clean after NH winters.
Same here. Nothing. Ever. I remember a bad experience the one and only time I ever had a coffee in my 996 way back when. Learned my lesson
Old 04-30-2020, 12:50 PM
SConn
Drifting

Well, again, this was from the previous owner, but I do drink more than just water in my car. However, I don't use my over engineered cup holders. Lol! I got one of those other ones that fits in the passenger foot well.

Not sure how a a vacuum would have gotten this stuff out. And I wouldn't have wanted to scratch up the console trying.

It was gunked up here:

​​Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this. Just thought I'd share an easy way to get it out without damaging anything. For those of you who are allowed straws in your state... And drink stuff in their cars... Or have a used car with a previous owner who drank stuff in their car. 😁
Old 04-30-2020, 12:51 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Phew. I had visions of you sucking the gunk out through the straw
Cause that's what you would have tried first? 😂
Old 04-30-2020, 01:35 PM
worf928
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,089 Posts

... I'm sure I'm not the only one who's experienced this.
True Dat. But sometimes you have to nuke it from orbit. (It’s the only way to be sure.)

Rich_Jenkins (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 01:38 PM
SConn
Drifting

Originally Posted by worf928
True Dat. But sometimes you have to nuke it from orbit. (It’s the only way to be sure.)

​​​​​​Oh man! That sucks!
Old 04-30-2020, 02:42 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

In my pre-Rona life I spent a good deal of time driving in my car for work and ate and drank everything in there short of alcohol. I don't use the Porsche cup holders as that is just asking for trouble. Ultimate cup holder for the win.

Quick Reply: Something I discovered today to get crap out of buttons that may be helpful