Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991.1 Market

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 10:02 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 289 Posts

Here is another perspective. I have watched the market closely for 3 years on C2s cars. . I have a friend who wants one so I recently searched all areas including PCA. I also monitor the sale areas with alerts.

The S cars with 20K miles or less that are manual with SC have had ZERO depreciation. If you have the other correct bits like sunroof delete etc and a warranty/clean carfax there will be a line of people waiting to buy your .1 C2s at a premium (not auction type cars). This may change in the next 2 to 3 years due to lending institutions rules on how old a car may be for them to lend on. It also seems the non S cars have a normal depreciation curve so those are a much better deal if you are price limited. The .2's also seem to have normal depreciation including the T. I think that the T is a good deal right now and has exponentially more power with a tune than a .1 base.
The following 4 users liked this post by Bud Taylor:
acwild70 (05-01-2020), FlyJacket (05-04-2020), GT3FZS (05-02-2020), RSBro (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:19 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
Here is another perspective. I have watched the market closely for 3 years on C2s cars. . I have a friend who wants one so I recently searched all areas including PCA. I also monitor the sale areas with alerts.

The S cars with 20K miles or less that are manual with SC have had ZERO depreciation. If you have the other correct bits like sunroof delete etc and a warranty/clean carfax there will be a line of people waiting to buy your .1 C2s at a premium (not auction type cars). This may change in the next 2 to 3 years due to lending institutions rules on how old a car may be for them to lend on. It also seems the non S cars have a normal depreciation curve so those are a much better deal if you are price limited. The .2's also seem to have normal depreciation including the T. I think that the T is a good deal right now and has exponentially more power with a tune than a .1 base.
You aren't wrong. I've seen 2S.1 cars with 40-50k miles in the high 60s, even low 70s. I wanted one badly but couldn't spend that much on our third car and my wife wants a Cayenne and a baby this year, so, had to adjust. But the special first-gen 2S.1 cars are very strong value if you have one and as you said, is well optioned and kept low-miles. I've been watching seriously the last 18 months and that trend has held valid most that whole time.
The following users liked this post:
acwild70 (05-01-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:23 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,147 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by jskenefick
I think that there are deals to be had, but I always think that is the case. Presently, you have another card to play, as it appears that sales are down. Buyers may be cautious due to uncertain times, so a willing purchaser may have an advantage. It's up to ypu to see how that advantage might play out.

I know this, the MBZ dealer keeps contacting me about an early termination on my car, and it is a year out. The Volvo dealer keeps contacting me about trading in the kid's car (my old wagon) and the Lexus shop wants us to trade in my wife's car. So, I read that as showroom traffic being down.
I might be misreading it, but that is how I would approach it.
They have no interest in your cars. They want to get you in so you will buy one of their's. If they wanted certain inventory then they would just go to auction and get it.
The following 2 users liked this post by garfunkle:
m5biemer (05-06-2020), sr5959 (05-04-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 10:25 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by rugu6869
Correct. Sales are down across the board. Once the Covid-19 is "over" there will be an influx of used cars everywhere. Most people are trying to sit on them right now. Dealers have leases ending and taking in the cars and can't move them (no auctions are going right now either).

It's VERY good to be a buyer in this market. Not so much a seller.
similar thing in real estate.... With the stay at home order, realtors are having people hold off on listing. Inventory is terrible. Well.... that and realtors now being able to collect 1K a week in unemployment and stack their closings for later....
Old 04-30-2020, 12:42 PM
JCZ5
Pro

Received 372 Likes on 198 Posts

Great perspective, thank you for sharing. It is unfortunate that some of these cars have so low miles, thus keeping the value high. For me personally, I am looking to drive the hell out of my next car and mileage is a moot point, as long as the vehicle is mechanically sound. I did do a search on AutoTrader for some well equipped S (all have SC, MY 17/18) and they're going for high $80K to mid $90K with less than 15K miles. This actually seems pretty good in my view compared with Ts of the same year that are running the same price.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCZ5:
acwild70 (05-01-2020), flgfish (04-30-2020)
Old 04-30-2020, 02:16 PM
vodkag
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

the 991.1 will continue to depreciate...almost all car will depreciate (with a few exceptions on collector's cars)

the only thing about buying a 911 is the rate of depreciation is less than other car (look at those residual rates on a new BMW lease and you will see what I am talking about)

So at the end of the day, you buy a 911 to enjoy the car.....not as an investment. and the lower depreciation is just a bonus :-)

I bought my 2012.5 CS 2 years ago CPO for 72.5k with 25k miles is now at 33k miles (dont drive much with 3 other cars in the HH...and try not to drive the P car to work.......) my guess is the car probably worth around $60k these days if i want to sell.

I do agree the prices of the 911s ranges a LOT. i have seen some crazy asking price, and you just have to shop around....what I find is that the option, color condition combo have a HUGE factor on prices.....example...the non-chrono cars are way less money, any other other than black can fetch more $$. cabs resale are usually the same or a bit less than coupe (even they cost more new in MSRP) also red interior cars are priced lower .....These are just my observations........

acwild70 (05-01-2020)
Old 05-01-2020, 05:26 PM
acwild70
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This has been my observation as well!!

Thanks All for the Great input!!

I'm going back in forth on weather to keep her-I really have no desire to let her go but I'm in the airlines and don't know what the future may hold. Until we get a game plan back to normal its so hard to plan - Oh Well-- I'll cross that bridge--- NOT Trolling!! just talking out loud

Its so hard to beat the driving experience and is optioned right for me!! So replacing it will take a little homework but not undoable if need be. Until then I'll be watching the market like a hawk

Thanks Again

Last edited by acwild70; 05-01-2020 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2020, 08:39 PM
Explorer16
Instructor

Received 99 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by vodkag
the 991.1 will continue to depreciate...almost all car will depreciate (with a few exceptions on collector's cars)

the only thing about buying a 911 is the rate of depreciation is less than other car (look at those residual rates on a new BMW lease and you will see what I am talking about)

So at the end of the day, you buy a 911 to enjoy the car.....not as an investment. and the lower depreciation is just a bonus :-)

I bought my 2012.5 CS 2 years ago CPO for 72.5k with 25k miles is now at 33k miles (dont drive much with 3 other cars in the HH...and try not to drive the P car to work.......) my guess is the car probably worth around $60k these days if i want to sell.

I do agree the prices of the 911s ranges a LOT. i have seen some crazy asking price, and you just have to shop around....what I find is that the option, color condition combo have a HUGE factor on prices.....example...the non-chrono cars are way less money, any other other than black can fetch more $$. cabs resale are usually the same or a bit less than coupe (even they cost more new in MSRP) also red interior cars are priced lower .....These are just my observations........
I agree with your observation. I got my 13 C2S 2 months ago for 70k with 8600 miles. MSRP is 129K. The only thing missing is PDCC and entry and drive. it has full leather and Burmester. Between the sales tax, transport, extended warranty, new PS4s, 20K mile service, I'm in it about 80k. I don't know if I could sell it for 70K in a years time. like you said, you don't buy this cars for investment. It's for enjoyment and enjoyment cost money.
vodkag (05-11-2020)
Old 05-03-2020, 10:48 PM
ajeffrey10
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Explorer16
I agree with your observation. I got my 13 C2S 2 months ago for 70k with 8600 miles. MSRP is 129K. The only thing missing is PDCC and entry and drive. it has full leather and Burmester. Between the sales tax, transport, extended warranty, new PS4s, 20K mile service, I'm in it about 80k. I don't know if I could sell it for 70K in a years time. like you said, you don't buy this cars for investment. It's for enjoyment and enjoyment cost money.
Was the car purchased CPO from a dealer or private party? If the latter, does it have an extended warranty?

Nice find, btw. Do you have a build sheet? Sounds a lot like mine + Burmeister
Old 05-04-2020, 01:08 AM
Explorer16
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Was the car purchased CPO from a dealer or private party? If the latter, does it have an extended warranty?

Private party sale from a rennlister. No warranty. I bought a 6 year, 60k mile warranty from fidelity for $2500. I don't have the PDF build sheet but he VIN is WP0AB2A97DS123148 if you wanna look it up.
In addition to the build sheet, the previous owner added PSE, sport design steering wheel, a third radiator and sport design mirrors. Very clean car. He did not drive it in the rain. Very OCD this dude, The kind of person everyone wished they could buy a used car from.
Old 05-04-2020, 01:15 AM
Explorer16
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10

Here's a pic.
The following 2 users liked this post by Explorer16:
afk (05-04-2020), daddyscar (05-04-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 03:01 AM
artsd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had about 10 cars saved on Autotrader for the last few weeks. Three of them are no longer listed this week but hard to say if they sold or were delisted by a private seller.
Several dealer cars have had price decreases in the 5-8% range.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:33 PM
SimonSays911
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSBro
Yes, not much play.

I was trying to work a deal with a 2014 C2S in Dallas a few mos. back, they wanted like $67k for it with I want to say 45-50k miles on it. Wasn't in good enough shape and CarFax was all messy for their price, but saw it sold for $65k-ish soon after. Glad I had a PPI done!

I just bought a 52k mile 2013 C2 in immaculate condition with an $111k original MSRP for $53k even. Bought it sight unseen so I initially thought I was paying too much, but the car is in better shape than described, so I'm okay with it. I'll maybe put 25k miles on it the next 5 years, so should hold it's value okay.

Was hoping to score a C2S for a deal but stuff isn't budging price-wise much and is still moving, at least in my limited experience.
I think I'm actually the dummy that overpaid for that 14 C2S in dallas you're talking about. And if it is my car you're talking about then confirmed it went for $65k. Maybe I didnt look long enough but the selection of guards red C2S with chrono under 70k was quite limited. I'm almost afraid to ask but out of curiosity what did you find in your PPI that I didnt?

I had a pretty extensive PPI done by RAC Performance in carrollton and they were convinced it was in pretty good condition other than an old battery, a cracked door seal, and the driver side door panel coming loose.

Is this the car you were talking about?

Old 05-04-2020, 03:41 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

^^^ don't take any comment in this forum, including mine, seriously. Rennlist is like a sports bar, where everyone wants to be Cliff the mailman
Old 05-04-2020, 03:53 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by SimonSays911
I think I'm actually the dummy that overpaid for that 14 C2S in dallas you're talking about. And if it is my car you're talking about then confirmed it went for $65k. Maybe I didnt look long enough but the selection of guards red C2S with chrono under 70k was quite limited. I'm almost afraid to ask but out of curiosity what did you find in your PPI that I didnt?

I had a pretty extensive PPI done by RAC Performance in carrollton and they were convinced it was in pretty good condition other than an old battery, a cracked door seal, and the driver side door panel coming loose.

Is this the car you were talking about?

Lots of people agonize over 2 or 3 thousand bucks and mis out on some great cars. The price only matters; within reason, if you're a professional flipper. These are toys that satisfy an emotional high. They're all overpriced and unjustifiable transportation. We buy them because we love the feeling we get. Just don't over extend yourself or buy one when you know you may have to dump it because you might need the money and you're fine. The experience is worth it.

More people have regretted walking away from the car they really wanted over a small amount than over paying a couple grand one they drive it.
The following 3 users liked this post by garfunkle:
acwild70 (05-08-2020), daddiomk2 (05-31-2020), Green & Silver (05-10-2020)

Quick Reply: 991.1 Market