Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadside tire repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2020 | 03:37 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Default Roadside tire repair

I recently had the joy of getting a flat while driving and discovered that I wasn't well prepared to deal with it. Luckily I wasn't far from home and the tire didn't deflate immediately so I made it to my garage. Since I carry a decent tire repair kit, I always figured I could handle a roadside emergency repair. My plan was to jnstall a temporary plug and then drive to my regular tire/wheel shop to get the tire properly repaired. Wrong - several issues - and this was in the comfort of my garage - not on the side of a road!! First, I quickly discovered that plugging a tire by crawling under the car isn't so easy - no leverage and limited clearance. Since I was home I decided to use my floor jack, remove the wheel, and insert the plug more easily. Nope - since the tire was now totally flat, my home jack would not fit under the car at the jackpoints. I handled that by finding a safe place to jack the car from the rear. So I finally got the wheel off, inserted the plug, aired up the tire and started to remount the wheel. I quickly discovered that the huge 11.5" rear wheel is pretty heavy - not so easy to mount for this old guy with no lug guides. Anyway, this story ended well as I got the tire mounted, drove to my tire shop and had it properly repaired. But after this experience its clear that if I want to be able to handle a roadside tire repair, at a minimum, I need to carry a portable low profile jack and a lug guide tool. Any recommendations?
Old 04-10-2020 | 03:45 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

And a AAA card.

DaveGee
The following 2 users liked this post by DaveGee:
hartmn (04-11-2020), NJBThor (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020 | 04:08 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

A few years ago I got a flat at 10pm at night.
Tried to use the repair goop / kit, which was absolutely useless.
Ended up getting a flatbed (for a small fortune) to take me home.
Porsche will ONLY tow you to their dealership, even if the dealership is lot further away than your home, and they won't patch a tire either.
Only a new tire, and most likely will suggest that it's done in pairs.
Don't ask how I know...
Old 04-10-2020 | 06:18 PM
Dkk16
Racer

I just purchased a mini portable air compressor off Amazon. $40. I tested it & it inflated my front from 20 to 35 PSI in 1 minute. All of my flats have been screws in tread & no sidewalls, so very slow developing. That along with my on board TPMS will hopefully get me to a Tire Shop with minimal stress.

Cheesy but handy.
Old 04-10-2020 | 07:34 PM
DanQ
Pro

Buy a stop n go pocket plugger tool. You don't even have to jack up the car and remove the wheel on the side of the road if you have a 2x4 to drive on. You lay on the ground and work the tool. Then use the Porsche compressor. 10 minutes, and on your way.

I bought multiple kits, one for each car with no spare. For my motorcycle I have the kit with co2 cartridges.

I'll never use one of the old fashion rope plugs again!
Pocket plugger
The following 3 users liked this post by DanQ:
CSK 911 C4S (04-11-2020), Driveby (04-11-2020), koala (04-11-2020)
Old 04-10-2020 | 07:44 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Originally Posted by onedae
>. . . I need to carry a portable low profile jack and a lug guide tool. Any recommendations?
Carry 2 lug guide tools - much easier than using just one.
Old 04-10-2020 | 07:57 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the tip on the stop and go plug kit. I've used this kit on motorcycles and its a mixed bag. Sometimes it works perfectly and other times its a disaster. In my experience, simple old fashioned rope plugs are still the most overall reliable temporary fix.
Old 04-10-2020 | 08:47 PM
DanQ
Pro

In that case, you should add a breaker bar and socket, or lug wrench to a 996 jack (9967217110) that 'may' work.
eBay link:
996 jack
Old 04-10-2020 | 10:43 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Here's my personal perspective. 991 drivers have 3 options:

1. Rely on outside assistance, from Porsche, AAA, or local tow truck. That could be tire repair, replacement, or tow. The only tools required are phones and credit cards. The down side is waiting (and the risk of lack of service).

2. Minimum self help. This includes the factory goop and compressor, or a plug kit. As ondae discovered, using a plug kit with the wheel on the car can be difficult to impossible. So in addition to the plug kit, add a compact jack (easy to find original aluminum Porsche jacks on eBay) and a deep 19 mm socket and breaker bar. The down side is the attempt to plug still might fail, or the tire damage is beyond plugging.

3. Maximum self help (my choice). Carry some sort of spare tire, plus jack and tools. The down side is giving up space in the frunk or back seat.
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (04-10-2020)
Old 04-10-2020 | 10:50 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by onedae
I recently had the joy of getting a flat while driving and discovered that I wasn't well prepared to deal with it. Luckily I wasn't far from home and the tire didn't deflate immediately so I made it to my garage. Since I carry a decent tire repair kit, I always figured I could handle a roadside emergency repair. My plan was to jnstall a temporary plug and then drive to my regular tire/wheel shop to get the tire properly repaired. Wrong - several issues - and this was in the comfort of my garage - not on the side of a road!! First, I quickly discovered that plugging a tire by crawling under the car isn't so easy - no leverage and limited clearance. Since I was home I decided to use my floor jack, remove the wheel, and insert the plug more easily. Nope - since the tire was now totally flat, my home jack would not fit under the car at the jackpoints. I handled that by finding a safe place to jack the car from the rear. So I finally got the wheel off, inserted the plug, aired up the tire and started to remount the wheel. I quickly discovered that the huge 11.5" rear wheel is pretty heavy - not so easy to mount for this old guy with no lug guides. Anyway, this story ended well as I got the tire mounted, drove to my tire shop and had it properly repaired. But after this experience its clear that if I want to be able to handle a roadside tire repair, at a minimum, I need to carry a portable low profile jack and a lug guide tool. Any recommendations?
Thanks for the caution on this. I have plugged many tires on my SUV's when they are still on the car and been on my way in short order, and had mistakenly assumed I could do the same on my Porsches. Now I need to get one of those jacks to carry around in my emergency kit. Thanks again!
Old 04-11-2020 | 09:03 AM
raaizin
Racer

Originally Posted by DOUGLAP1
Thanks for the caution on this. I have plugged many tires on my SUV's when they are still on the car and been on my way in short order, and had mistakenly assumed I could do the same on my Porsches. Now I need to get one of those jacks to carry around in my emergency kit. Thanks again!

I purchased this for my car, it is a nice little jack.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton...hoChwwQAvD_BwE
Old 04-11-2020 | 12:37 PM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by raaizin
I purchased this for my car, it is a nice little jack.

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-Ton...hoChwwQAvD_BwE

You store this in your Porsche for emergency tire fixes?
Old 04-11-2020 | 06:16 PM
raaizin
Racer

In front it is 22"X10" and 32lbs , it is compact. I have a small air pump that I purchased I really dont have faith in the one porsche supplied that a plug kit. I am not concerned about added weight although I may be in the minority here. I tend to take long rides and have been in areas without cell service. I had a scissor jack but I really didnt trust it. I too think it would be difficult to plug a tire while it is still on the car
Porsche_nuts (04-11-2020)
Old 04-13-2020 | 07:49 PM
CBS
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Here's my personal perspective. 991 drivers have 3 options:

1. Rely on outside assistance, from Porsche, AAA, or local tow truck. That could be tire repair, replacement, or tow. The only tools required are phones and credit cards. The down side is waiting (and the risk of lack of service).

2. Minimum self help. This includes the factory goop and compressor, or a plug kit. As ondae discovered, using a plug kit with the wheel on the car can be difficult to impossible. So in addition to the plug kit, add a compact jack (easy to find original aluminum Porsche jacks on eBay) and a deep 19 mm socket and breaker bar. The down side is the attempt to plug still might fail, or the tire damage is beyond plugging.

3. Maximum self help (my choice). Carry some sort of spare tire, plus jack and tools. The down side is giving up space in the frunk or back seat.

Pertaining to Option #3 - do you have a recommendation for a 991.2 C4S?

Thanks and Cheers,
Chris
Old 04-13-2020 | 10:30 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CBS
Pertaining to Option #3 - do you have a recommendation for a 991.2 C4S?

Thanks and Cheers,
Chris
I have the collapsable spare designated for the 991.2 C2, part number 99136205000. I can guess that this would work for the C4S, but you should confirm that.

You can see my solution for transporting the spare in this thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/9833...-mounting.html
CBS (04-14-2020)

Quick Reply: Roadside tire repair