Sponsored by:

Cobb PDK tune...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 02:07 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

@PTS-BRG thank you for the sound advice

I was curious to see if there was any performance increase, or synergy to be had from the ecu tune... in terms of order of operations, I'll probably put this off, and find some other mod to suit my fancy

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
What are you expecting the tune to do? I am all about tweaks and improvements, but what do you think the PDK tune is going to do? Make shifting faster? More crisp? Better performance? From what I have been told its none of the above. It changes shift points, yes. It changes the feel of the shift, yes. But, in the end I have no problems with either of those issues so I never bothered with it..
Old 06-21-2020, 08:04 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

I did the Pdk update from Cobb when I did my tune. It actually made the shifting in normal much more driveable and in sport and sport plus I did feel the shifts were quicker, crisper and more like GT3 type shifting. For me I thought it was worth doing. Running the PdK relearn is a must after the install or uninstall.

Last edited by Penn4S; 06-22-2020 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:20 AM
Steven31371
Pro

Received 301 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I wish this was available to those who do not want/need a Cobb Engine tune. I have a 991.1S with SC and have no real interest in buying Cobb Engine tune (or any other tune) , which means, as I understand it, I cannot have the Cobb PDK tune.

I hope this changes in the future, as i would love to add Cobb PDK tune to the car.
just get it and don’t look back lol

the a ABR engine tune and higher torque PDK tune with the clutch relearn is how it should have come from the factory lol
Old 06-22-2020, 05:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Received 3,632 Likes on 2,358 Posts

Originally Posted by desmotesta
I wish this was available to those who do not want/need a Cobb Engine tune. I have a 991.1S with SC and have no real interest in buying Cobb Engine tune (or any other tune) , which means, as I understand it, I cannot have the Cobb PDK tune.

I hope this changes in the future, as i would love to add Cobb PDK tune to the car.
that's incorrect (certainly for the 991.1 w/AP v3) you can install the default OEM engine map and a PDK tune AFIAK
Old 07-04-2020, 04:48 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

I have had the PDK tune for awhile now. I had a bad day at the track Friday. The shift issue from the Pro-tune had become consistent since the PDK tune. However Mitch has now fixed the shift issue, which is awesome.

I just wanted to post here for COBB. After the bad track day and Prior to loading Mitch's new Pro-Tune, I scanned for errors and had these PDK errors.

P0731 Gear 1 Incorrect Ratio
P199A
UC418
UC418

I had that last one twice, So I wrote it twice. Just as it appeared in AP. I cleared them all, just prior to loading the new Pro-Tune. I haven't had any come back as yet. But I have only driven 50km's so far.

Old 07-04-2020, 05:08 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
The PDK tune comes with 5 different files and I tried out the 4th file (aggressive + OEM shifts at low demand). I usually drive in sport mode and I can honestly say that the shifts are quicker and snappier. The factory PDK tune is already excellent but the COBB PDK tune definitely pushes it over the edge IMO. For me, it’s most noticeable when I floor it during cruise and it down shifts quicker to the proper gear. In the stock mode, I always felt that ever so lag but the tune definitely fixed that! The PDK tune also holds it in the respective gear longer and seems to shift at what probably is the optimum shift point. Of course, this is all according to my butt dyno.
When it stops raining here in SoCal, I’ll load the “aggressive” file and test out the Sport+ mode as well. So far, I really like the PDK tune. IMHO, it definitely complements the stage 2 tune on my GTS.
load the “Sequential” file and manually shift with the center lever like a racing sequential gearbox...it’s a hoot lol

but for sure the ‘high torque’ PDK option is the best...after running it for several days then trying a different one I can’t live without the High Torque profile.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:09 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven31371
load the “Sequential” file and manually shift with the center lever like a racing sequential gearbox...it’s a hoot lol
that's the PDK tune I use too - no issues that I am aware of.
The following users liked this post:
Steven31371 (07-04-2020)
Old 07-04-2020, 05:15 PM
Steven31371
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
that's the PDK tune I use too - no issues that I am aware of.

try the high torque profile but follow the special instructions for it...you have to get the gearbox up to operating temp...about 10 minutes of driving, then do a clutch relearn after you load the file...once you start the clutch relearn it instructs you.

it adjusts the clamp force of the clutch and combined with the ABR ECU map really adds some zing to mid rpm range driving

its even funner than the Sequential because both that PDK and ECU profiles ran together it almost feels like a SuperCharger car with more immediate torque hit when you mash the pedal.
Old 07-04-2020, 05:18 PM
Larry Cable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steven31371
try the high torque profile but follow the special instructions for it...you have to get the gearbox up to operating temp...about 10 minutes of driving, then do a clutch relearn after you load the file...once you start the clutch relearn it instructs you.

it adjusts the clamp force of the clutch and combined with the ABR ECU map really adds some zing to mid rpm range driving

its even funner than the Sequential because both that PDK and ECU profiles ran together it almost feels like a SuperCharger car with more immediate torque hit when you mash the pedal.
interesting ...
Old 06-01-2022, 01:04 AM
bricheun
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Cable
interesting ...
Brining an old thread back - i bought this PDK tune for my 997.2 turbo in 2019, today i wanted to download the "high torque" map but there is no link or anywhere to find ANY PDK maps now.
Does anyone else know what happened to COBB? Have they stopped all support and downloads for PDK? I can find the maps for the engine tunes though like stock and Stage 1.

ps: tuned turbo needs higher clutch clamp force :-)
Old 06-01-2022, 03:09 AM
PatrickBateman
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by bricheun
Brining an old thread back - i bought this PDK tune for my 997.2 turbo in 2019, today i wanted to download the "high torque" map but there is no link or anywhere to find ANY PDK maps now.
Does anyone else know what happened to COBB? Have they stopped all support and downloads for PDK? I can find the maps for the engine tunes though like stock and Stage 1.

ps: tuned turbo needs higher clutch clamp force :-)
E-mail them.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:06 AM
bricheun
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
E-mail them.
thanks for the reply. Yes i have done so for 2 days, lets wait a bit more till they reply - if all else fails i will call them.

I think their website is just messed up because i found it with a bit of detective work from old links from my orders, here they are just in case anyone needs them, just added "high-torque" to the aggressive address and it works :-)

https://www.cobbtuning.com/porsche-9...-map-pack.html

Sorry it's not exactly 991 topic, its Cobb PDK related.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:18 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,875 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Perhaps they are the same, but it appears you linked to 997.2 PDK files, not 991 PDK files.

Old 06-02-2022, 03:29 AM
bricheun
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by pfbz
Perhaps they are the same, but it appears you linked to 997.2 PDK files, not 991 PDK files.
oops..yeah

Just replace the 997-2 with 991 and you have the maps.

For example :

Quick Reply: Cobb PDK tune...