Sponsored by:

Cobb PDK tune...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 12:46 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
The general consensus is that the PDK tune will allow you to tweak the shift points, rpms and maybe even clamp pressure to account for the higher HP and torque.
This is what is I am hearing but, dont know if it will actually work. I reverted back to my very first tune from Cobb/Mitch which was a monster.

I will find out if this is the solution or not.. stay "tuned"
Don’t want to derail, but what’s the difference in the initial tune vs. watered down? Did they think the pdk couldn’t take it? Would make sense to pair the stronger tune with the pdk tunes if it truly does something
Old 04-05-2020, 10:02 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

The initial maps provided by Cobb were more aggressive than the tunes currently being offered OTS (off the shelf).
There are threads from members (myself included) where the torque and HP was so high that the PDK was having trouble shifting properly.
I uploaded a video a while back, but in my case in 3rd or 4th (cant remember) right at redline the car would bounce off redline and not shift for about 1 second.
This killed all numbers for me. 1/4 mile, 0-60, 60-130, etc. If the car cannot shift cleanly then what good was having all the power.

Cobb was never really able to figure out why. I was told to PWIS my PDK (reset it) but that didnt work. The Cobb guys tried to work with it and couldn't really figure out why it was happening. Some thought it was a parameter in the ECU that couldn't be overwritten, to protect the engine. Some thought it was a torque limit. Some thought it was the PDK and it needed more clamp pressure.

In the end, the simplest solution was to reduce the boost and lower the overall aggressive tune to eliminate any problems, so thats what Cobb did.
What I never knew, until later on, was that a Pro tune starts from a factory OTS map and then the parameters are adjusted to optimize the tune to your specific car.
Tuners dont just start from scratch and build a map. That would take weeks or months of work. So a pro tune starts with a basic off the shelf Cobb Map and then it gets modified.
HOWEVER, pro tunes you get today are based on the neutered map so you cannot get the same performance getting a pro tune now without many many hours of tweaks.
They discovered many more tables since the early days of the tunes, so I have no idea what they did to these new maps, It is NOT just turning down boost, it is more involved than that.

If you can go back to the original maps and tune the PDK to shift sooner or increase clamp pressure or whatever it is they do, then it is possible the bigger power tunes could work.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:13 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Porschex3
For me, it will be worth it if it means that we can get more power on the engine tune side of things. It will definitely be valuable for those who have pro tuned and/or modded their cars are were running into slipping PDK clutches.
I think a lot of guys are missing the real benefits here.

1. The biggest benefit is the ability to do a PDK relearn by yourself. This is important to the health of your clutches. Doing this every year will vastly extend the life of your clutches. Its a must for people who track as well. If you don’t think this alone makes it worth it, go get a quote from Porsche for how much they charge for a PDK relearn. (I was charged $600) So this alone makes it worth the price.

2. More clamp. For those asking why can the turbo can handle more power, its because its software has more clamp. So you are getting increased clamp with the COBB PDK tune.

3. Better drivability. I never use efficiency mode because i hate the car changing up into 4th gear at 20km/hr.

My car has finally been scanned for MoTeC.

When the world stops ending, I’ll go the complete ECU change. That unlocks everything. Then i can upgrade the turbo’s.

I’m not satisfied with just taking down a GT2-RS. I want to take down the new 765LT McLaren.
The following users liked this post:
GONEIN10 (04-07-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 11:46 AM
Omega4
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
I think a lot of guys are missing the real benefits here.

1. The biggest benefit is the ability to do a PDK relearn by yourself. This is important to the health of your clutches. Doing this every year will vastly extend the life of your clutches. Its a must for people who track as well. If you don’t think this alone makes it worth it, go get a quote from Porsche for how much they charge for a PDK relearn. (I was charged $600) So this alone makes it worth the price.

2. More clamp. For those asking why can the turbo can handle more power, its because its software has more clamp. So you are getting increased clamp with the COBB PDK tune.

3. Better drivability. I never use efficiency mode because i hate the car changing up into 4th gear at 20km/hr.

My car has finally been scanned for MoTeC.

When the world stops ending, I’ll go the complete ECU change. That unlocks everything. Then i can upgrade the turbo’s.

I’m not satisfied with just taking down a GT2-RS. I want to take down the new 765LT McLaren.
Ok, now my interest is peaked. Thank you for breaking that down 4 Point 0. I was unaware of pdk relearn being a good practice. My car is a base C2 stage 1 93, so I was unsure what benefits I’d get.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Gonzalo38
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by 4 Point 0
You don't achieve this by doing a PDK transmission reset ? Several reports out there of people that have done it on its own and that the behavior of the car changes.....

PatrickBateman (06-01-2022)
Old 04-06-2020, 12:10 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

This is a new one to me. Never heard of this being a way to reset PDK. I was always told it needed a PIWIS computer to be performed. Hard to believe if this is true.
Forgetting the PDK reset, the PDK tune is primarily to change clamp pressure, shift points and RPM. Nothing from Porsche can do this, so if its something you need then the tune is beneficial.
Being able to reset the PDK is just an added feature.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:21 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

PDK relearn is certainly something beneficial, especially if you track the car. My dealer would do a PDK relearn for me at any time I ask for free, if there was a reason to do it, especially under warranty.
I have never heard of it being necessary to ever do a PDK relearn on a street car unless there was an issue. If the car is shifting properly and has no issues, I do not see any reason to do a relearn.

It is a program that essentially resets values to zero and then as you drive the car, the PDK relearns based on the way you drive. I think in the case of 4 point 0, the car is so heavily modified and
clearly tracked, that the dealer felt the need to charge him because it wasnt part of normal usage, but who knows..
Omega4 (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 12:28 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
This is a new one to me. Never heard of this being a way to reset PDK. I was always told it needed a PIWIS computer to be performed. Hard to believe if this is true.
Definitely hard to believe considering we need a damn computer to reset the oil change light... but good news if true.

Old 04-06-2020, 12:32 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

The problem is that we dont know when the PDK has been reset. There is no light or indicator letting us know it has been reset, so we could do this procedure and really never know if it works or not.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:38 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

If someone has the hot map files, I'll happily test with the PDK flash...
Old 04-06-2020, 12:40 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I think I might be able to pull them up from old Mac backups. Do you have the PDK flash software?
Old 04-06-2020, 12:46 PM
Aatish
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm planning on purchasing it and using it with my BBI ProTune.

Did baseline dragy times the other day. Hoping to do OTS this week.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:35 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
Looks like they have released a tune!

i have been dying for this. Does anyone have it yet or do I need to the the guinea?
I thought they released a PDK tune a while ago with reverse +/-, hold paddles for neurtral, no creep, etc. What exactly is new?
Old 04-06-2020, 01:38 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

This release is for the 991.2 not the older model. This was just released last week.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:17 AM
Porschex3
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Aatish
If someone has the hot map files, I'll happily test with the PDK flash...
A few of us tried a while back. The older maps won't load on the AP's with the 1.06 firmware. They only seem to load on the older versions (which required the CPU to be sent in).

Quick Reply: Cobb PDK tune...