Sponsored by:

Cobb PDK tune...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2020, 09:36 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by PTS-BRG
No matter how much HP my car has, between the AWD and traction control (on or off) I never can spin the tires. I wish I could
hence my going from a NA C4S to a tuned C2! Sometimes its fun.
Old 04-09-2020, 12:03 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

Received 308 Likes on 206 Posts

The PDK tune comes with 5 different files and I tried out the 4th file (aggressive + OEM shifts at low demand). I usually drive in sport mode and I can honestly say that the shifts are quicker and snappier. The factory PDK tune is already excellent but the COBB PDK tune definitely pushes it over the edge IMO. For me, it’s most noticeable when I floor it during cruise and it down shifts quicker to the proper gear. In the stock mode, I always felt that ever so lag but the tune definitely fixed that! The PDK tune also holds it in the respective gear longer and seems to shift at what probably is the optimum shift point. Of course, this is all according to my butt dyno.
When it stops raining here in SoCal, I’ll load the “aggressive” file and test out the Sport+ mode as well. So far, I really like the PDK tune. IMHO, it definitely complements the stage 2 tune on my GTS.
The following 2 users liked this post by luv2sleep:
Aatish (04-09-2020), GT3FZS (04-15-2020)
Old 04-09-2020, 11:18 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,063 Likes on 975 Posts

I wish this was available to those who do not want/need a Cobb Engine tune. I have a 991.1S with SC and have no real interest in buying Cobb Engine tune (or any other tune) , which means, as I understand it, I cannot have the Cobb PDK tune.

I hope this changes in the future, as i would love to add Cobb PDK tune to the car.
Old 04-12-2020, 07:54 AM
Ed-209
5th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed it. I have not had the chanced to fully test it yet but with the sports map loaded I notice slightly faster shifting. More to come.
Old 04-15-2020, 01:26 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Received 1,280 Likes on 677 Posts

I have installed mine and took it for a run. It feels great. The economy mode, which I have never used before is now usable. The shift points in all settings are nicer.

Its a nice little up grade. Thanks COBB.

We who take care of our cars, understand that when you do a PDK relearn, you change the fluid. So it won't be free. None of this is new. Its just new to 991.2.

I installed the Sport + Version. I never installed the Aggressive version, as I don't like slamming the plates together for no purpose other than to FEEL fast. My car IS fast. I don't need slamming gear changes to enhance anything.
It might be fine. I may try it down the track, but at present the Sport+ version suits my driving style perfectly. Its a nice up grade. The extra clamp won't get tested until I go to the track. It's the one criticisem I have with the Ferrari Pista in Track mode it just slams the plates together and its like someone kicks you in the back. Totally unnecessary. I don't know how aggressive COBB went, but the Sport + is perfect for street and is a very nice up grade, so I doubt I will need the Aggressive one. Happy to hear feedback on anyone who loads the Aggressive one. (Young fellas usually like that sort of thing.)

The following 2 users liked this post by 4 Point 0:
GT3FZS (04-15-2020), luv2sleep (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 03:52 AM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

It was a nice day here in SoCal so I loaded the "Aggressive" file and went for a test drive. I personally didn't feel any increase in performance/faster shifts than the other files and I particularly didn't like the slamming of the plates(?). I only felt this during spirited driving and appeared to shift normally during "normal" driving which is rarely in this beast. I prefer smoother shifts so I'm going to try out the Sport+ file next.
The following users liked this post:
4 Point 0 (04-15-2020)
Old 04-15-2020, 04:26 AM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
It was a nice day here in SoCal so I loaded the "Aggressive" file and went for a test drive. I personally didn't feel any increase in performance/faster shifts than the other files and I particularly didn't like the slamming of the plates(?). I only felt this during spirited driving and appeared to shift normally during "normal" driving which is rarely in this beast. I prefer smoother shifts so I'm going to try out the Sport+ file next.
Thats great feedback. I thought they would do that with the aggressive mode. Its not necessary IMHO. Each to their own. But the Sport+ mode is spot on and no harshness or overly aggressive shifts.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:17 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

Received 636 Likes on 347 Posts

4 point 0: Did you happen to see if your 0-60 race launch rpms are any higher before launch? Someone said it was, but my Cobb source said they didnt change a thing.
Also, are the shift point different on the sport + PDK map? Does the car go faster now with optimized PDK map for performance rather than full economy?

What are your impressions of performance rather than drivability and smoothness? THX
Old 04-15-2020, 06:06 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

4 point 0: Did you happen to see if your 0-60 race launch rpms are any higher before launch? Someone said it was, but my Cobb source said they didnt change a thing.
Also, are the shift point different on the sport + PDK map? Does the car go faster now with optimized PDK map for performance rather than full economy?

What are your impressions of performance rather than drivability and smoothness? THX
We are on a pretty tight lock down at present, so I never wanted to **** the cops off by doing launches. So I haven't tried that as yet.
The only way that would be noticeably faster would be if your clutches were slipping before. Which yours were, so hopefully, this will sort you out.
More clamp is piece of mind that they won't start to slip with the power of our cars. I run a 50/50 mix of E85 and 98 RON (Your 93). I can take down a GT2-RS in a roll race from 40km/hr.
So my concern was that my clutches would start to slip.
Coming onto to the main straight under full power, I would occasionally experience what I thought was a similar problem to yours. I expect the extra clamp will solve this, however with all the tracks closed, I won't know until they open again.

I hear a lot of guys complaining that they are always spinning the tyres. I rarely spin mine. Unless I just mash the throttle from a stand still. There are a number of reasons for this. Tyres, warmth of tyres and pressure.

I bet most guys are still on the rubbish Pilot Super Sports. Ditch them, they are crap. Complete and utter garbage. In fact they are the worst tyre ever. Even if you are not a track guy, get rid of them. Mine looked brand new and took them off. I gave them to a mate. He has a high powered M3, and immediately he said these are rubbish. And he took them off. (It was just to get him out of trouble).
I went to Cup2's. It transformed the car on the street. Improved cornering out of sight. Nice improvement on the track, however the sidewall is a little soft for hard tracking. I ended up splitting the bead. Next up were TrofeoR. They are a fantastic tyre all round. Silent on the street. Much stiffer sidewall for the track. They really are one of my favourite tyres. If you go from Pilot Super Sport to TrofeoR you won't know yourself. You won't get huge miles out of them, but you will get huge smiles. Next I went to Nankang AR-1. Now these are cheap as chips. No guilt power slides lol. They are rubbish on the street from a noise perspective. At 80km/hr they sound like a 4 x 4. Its their only down fall. But they have miles of grip. They are a no brainier on the track, as they are half the price of TrofeoR, so you can burn up more sets.

Now listen up people with traction problems. I guarantee your tyres are over inflated. The first thing you need to do is set your Tyre pressure monitor to COMFORT. Its poorly named. Porsche should change the name COMFORT to TRACK. Because thats where you want your tyres for grip. So around town, you want your tyres at 30 Psi front and 34 rear COLD. (At the track I run 30 front 33 rear HOT)
I'll bet most of the spinning guys have 38 cold and they go for a drive and get above 40 and then want to mash the throttle and wonder why they are frying the tyres. Set tyres to COMFORT, let them down until it is At that level. And start enjoying some grip. If you do some highway driving, the tyres will heat up and increase anyway.

On a side note, my car now has finally been scanned for MoTeC ECU replacement. Hoping to have it installed in a couple of months. That will allow me full control over everything. I will add Port injection, and maybe go catless. Then I can run full flex fuel, upto 100% E85. Then I can up grade the turbos and add Motorsport ABS.

The COBB PDK TCU tune is a nice up grade. Your car won't suddenly leap tall buildings in a single bound, but it is looking after your equipment. It is preserving your PDK. They aren't cheap to replace. So you can have guilt free, worry free fun. That is worth the price of admission in my opinion.
Old 04-15-2020, 06:23 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

4 point 0: I'm sorry I dont remember, but do you have a RWD GTS? I think I remember you did but, not sure. On my AWD there is no way to get the car to spin. I could inflate the tires to 50psi and the car just automatically adjusts the slip and transfers the power to the other wheels to keep them from spinning. I am thinking I can improve my 0-60 with less air in tires, I will try that soon.

As far as the clutches slipping, I dont think mine were except at that one shift point in 4th. The issue I have is that Cobb has not confirmed that they increased the clutch pressure, only changed shift points.
If they increased the pressure then perhaps this would solve my issue, but Cobb states otherwise. Here is a quote from an email I recently had with them:

"the issues (shift flutter in 4th) stem from torque requests overshooting a limiter table(s) and if those tables are adjusted properly, the shifting issues should resolve. Unfortunately, now that we've completed our PDK testing and table discovery, we can confirm that the issue lies solely with the ECU tuning and the addition of the PDK tuning will not improve the issue whatsoever."

They went on to say regarding the 4th gear flutter and the PDK Tune: "it almost assuredly will not improve the shifting issues with your car if they still exist."

I no longer have the flutter but, the latest Pro Tune I have was based on a lower boost "neutered" Cobb map, so I have lost the Beast Mode of the original tune with no shift issues.
I want Beast mode back with no shift issues
Old 04-15-2020, 06:35 PM
4 Point 0
Rennlist Member

4 point 0: I'm sorry I dont remember, but do you have a RWD GTS? I think I remember you did but, not sure. On my AWD there is no way to get the car to spin. I could inflate the tires to 50psi and the car just automatically adjusts the slip and transfers the power to the other wheels to keep them from spinning. I am thinking I can improve my 0-60 with less air in tires, I will try that soon.

As far as the clutches slipping, I dont think mine were except at that one shift point in 4th. The issue I have is that Cobb has not confirmed that they increased the clutch pressure, only changed shift points.
If they increased the pressure then perhaps this would solve my issue, but Cobb states otherwise. Here is a quote from an email I recently had with them:

"the issues (shift flutter in 4th) stem from torque requests overshooting a limiter table(s) and if those tables are adjusted properly, the shifting issues should resolve. Unfortunately, now that we've completed our PDK testing and table discovery, we can confirm that the issue lies solely with the ECU tuning and the addition of the PDK tuning will not improve the issue whatsoever."

They went on to say regarding the 4th gear flutter and the PDK Tune: "it almost assuredly will not improve the shifting issues with your car if they still exist."

I no longer have the flutter but, the latest Pro Tune I have was based on a lower boost "neutered" Cobb map, so I have lost the Beast Mode of the original tune with no shift issues.
I want Beast mode back with no shift issues
Yeah mine is RWD.
COBB like most businesses, are extremely cautious and reserved in their emails and promises. They tend to heavily under promise, so they don't create issues. Having more clamp certainly will not hurt your issue.

I'm running out of spark and then fuel, and after I fix that, I will run out of turbo. I need to put fresh plugs in and gap them down. When you increase boost, it blows the spark out. So you gap the plugs closer together. You usually go a step colder as well, but I haven't found a suitable colder plug as yet. So I may just replace with OEM and have them gapped closer.

I am unaware of your driving ability, so you need to use your own judgement on this. At the track, everyone starts off with Full Traction on. And it seems fine. But as you get better, it starts to get intrusive. SO you go the next step and have it half off. That is a massive improvement and suits most people until they get very serious. But eventually you get to the point where that holds you back. By then, you understand the relationship between under steer and over steer and you can get into and out of both. You can catch all slides. Now you are ready for Full traction off. If you are confident in your ability, and you find a nice deserted place, such as a track, I think you should try full traction off and see if the problem still occurs. Cause there is a couple f things going on. Yes I agree the torque request tables are an issue. But it is also traction control in the back ground interfering as well. So the way to be certain is be in a safe place and turn it all off and do a test. If you are not comfortable with Full off, see if you can go with an Instructor and have them turn it fully off and see if the problem still occurs.

MoTeC will solve all issues, as we can customise every single parameter in the entire car. It's extreme, but I want to up grade the turbo's in the future, s its necessary for me.

Old 04-15-2020, 06:49 PM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

I have done dozens of pulls, both with Traction Control (TC) on and off. The problem exists in both modes. In 4th gear there is no issue with traction for any of us in a straight line. The car is not capable of breaking the tires loose from the 4th -5th gear change at 120mph or whatever speed it is going at that point, so traction isnt the reason its fluttering. On the track its another story and coming into a turn this could be an issue. However, the problem some of us are having is not TC related, its definitely clutch or ECU limiters that are coming into play. Again, if Cobb did increase the clamp pressure in the clutch and that was the problem then the issue would be solved. When they specifically tell me its not the PDK or clamp pressure (which I have always felt wasnt the problem) then I have to believe them.

These PDK's can accept far more HP and TQ than my little tune is putting out. The Turbo and Turbo S use the same PDK's and are able to be trouble free with 800-1000hp over and over.
The problem has to be what they say. Its a limitation in one of the tables where the TQ overshoots the predetermined limit right at 4th gear. It also happens to be the gear and location where the car/engine
is producing the most TQ and HP so it makes sense..

Please do comment back, I very much like reading your posts and opinions as I think you do know your ****... THX
Old 04-15-2020, 08:14 PM
luv2sleep
Burning Brakes

I loaded the Sport+ file and was able to get in one launch. There were too many gentlemen eating doughnuts in their black and white. My wife was with me and it was her first launch, and the look on her face was priceless. As usual, I had momentary tire slip mainly because I’m still running PZeros. I run 33 PSI cold, FYI. I’m happy to report that I didn’t feel any clutch slippage. As for the shift feel, I personally like this Sport+ file the best. It is now more enjoyable to drive in normal mode as it holds in gear longer and in Sport mode, it is noticeably more aggressive than stock without the plate slam. Sport+ file seems like the sweet spot, IMHO.
Old 06-21-2020, 11:31 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Has anyone else adopted the PDK tune? I'm very curious... and have an itchy index finger on the mouse...
Old 06-21-2020, 11:36 AM
PTS-BRG
Three Wheelin'

What are you expecting the tune to do? I am all about tweaks and improvements, but what do you think the PDK tune is going to do? Make shifting faster? More crisp? Better performance? From what I have been told its none of the above. It changes shift points, yes. It changes the feel of the shift, yes. But, in the end I have no problems with either of those issues so I never bothered with it..

Quick Reply: Cobb PDK tune...