Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Cup 2's

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 10:34 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

PSC2s are not nearly as good on the track as my Bridgestone RE-711s; however, as a dual purpose tire that you can use to drive to the track, track your car and drive home, I understand the allure. I ran the PSC2s at Sebring and Homestead and actually hated them compared to the Bridgestones. But hated them for dedicated track use. Love the Bridgestone for dedicated track use. Hated the Bridgestones on the road. Haven’t switched to r-compounds yet, but will do so later this year after the Bridgestones wear out. For the street, the PSC2s are overkill.
The following users liked this post:
zoomzoommo (04-02-2020)
Old 04-03-2020, 12:02 AM
97supratt
Rennlist Member

Received 279 Likes on 182 Posts

Sport cups should be a track only tire. Heat cycle them, shave them and enjoy. Why the hell would you street them? No point, they are pricey and useless on the street.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:53 AM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ericmeds
SC2's are lighter than my OEM tires by 2lbs each in the rear while 4S are heavier over OEM - quite a differential. Only about $236 more for 4.
Where are you getting these weights? Tire racks says the Cup2 and 4S weight the same, and the PZero are 1lbs less per tire.
Old 04-03-2020, 09:55 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

The cup2's on my Z06 delaminated after a couple of track days and it happens commonly on Corvettes. I think there are better tires out there for the street and the track. The MPSS are great overall in my experience. For a track DOT tire, I like the R888R tires.
Old 04-03-2020, 10:17 AM
ericmeds
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...port-Cup-2.htm
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S.htm

Shows 22 vs 25 in the front - 27 vs 30.5 in the rear (OEM rear were 29).

Originally Posted by marinb
Where are you getting these weights? Tire racks says the Cup2 and 4S weight the same, and the PZero are 1lbs less per tire.
Old 04-03-2020, 12:07 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ericmeds
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/...port-Cup-2.htm
https://tiresize.com/tires/Michelin/Pilot-Sport-4S.htm

Shows 22 vs 25 in the front - 27 vs 30.5 in the rear (OEM rear were 29).
I don't think you're pulling the right weights. Also, they aren't listing the exact N spec Porsche tires. But even on that site you link to, if you pull the XL weights, it says they weigh the same:

305/30ZR20: Cup2 = 30, 4S = 30.7
245/35ZR20: Cup2 = 24, 4S = 24
Old 04-03-2020, 12:26 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 728 Posts

Ya'll are forgetting one of the most important driving factor for these things, Sport Cup 2's look the business. One of the sexiest tires on the market.

When I walk into the dealership and see a brand new GT3/RS/2RS sitting on these things. All I can think about it is, give me those damn tires, I don't care they suck in the cold. I don't care they suck in the rain. I picture myself tearing *** around some twisties on a sunny day running through the gears.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:14 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Ya'll are forgetting one of the most important driving factor for these things, Sport Cup 2's look the business. One of the sexiest tires on the market.

When I walk into the dealership and see a brand new GT3/RS/2RS sitting on these things. All I can think about it is, give me those damn tires, I don't care they suck in the cold. I don't care they suck in the rain. I picture myself tearing *** around some twisties on a sunny day running through the gears.

^ Amen.

But even skipping the aesthetics, some of the responses here surprise me. I don't doubt the comments on the Bridgestones being better on track while worse on the street, but it's pretty hard to beat the Cup 2 as a tire you can drive to the track, track, and drive home. The earliest Cup 2 was a stunner on a wet track the first time I tried a set on a 918 prototype, and it remains an impressive tire to me. And the N-spec tire package forms the foundation of a Porsche's suspension setup...so there's that. I briefly mulled the idea of switching my GT4 to something better in the rain and discussed it with a friend who happens to be a suspension/handling engineer (not for GT cars), and his take was he wouldn't be able to give up the balance cooked into the chassis setup on the N-spec Cup 2 tires. I do suspect he's more sensitive to that given his day job, but his comments stuck with me.

While I would probably stick with the P4S for a Carrera/S/T on the street, and even consider "down-grading" to the A/S3 were it available for the plain 991.2 Carrera, I can see why someone might like to try Cup 2s for the fun of it—as bolting on stickier rubber is a time-honored tradition and a first step down that slippery slope of suspension mods we're all susceptible to: stiffer springs, different ARBs, alignment, etc. It's okay to live a little…
Old 04-03-2020, 01:20 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
Truth! Worth it just for the looks. 😉
Old 04-03-2020, 02:59 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Originally Posted by marinb
Truth! Worth it just for the looks. 😉
^ And you're driving a 991.2 model where the Cup 2 would get sorely tempting for me. Just drove a .2 GTS on the "loop" for a story in Issue 013 and suspect it could put Cup 2s to good use.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:13 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stout
^ And you're driving a 991.2 model where the Cup 2 would get sorely tempting for me. Just drove a .2 GTS on the "loop" for a story in Issue 013 and suspect it could put Cup 2s to good use.
I actually just put new 4S tires on this week. But would have definitely considered A/S3 if they were available in the right sizes, since I daily this car too. I do have a set of Cup2 on my track wheels for added fun though. 😃
Old 04-03-2020, 03:14 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

No one has talked about the other drawback of the Cup2's. They are super loud on the road, also much stiffer than most other tires, and they tramline.
When mine are done (should be soon) I'm going with PS4's.

If I didn't have a GT car and could get normal tires, Re11's would be my choice. I feel they are what the Cup2's should be.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:54 PM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Interesting topic. I am curious if anyone really pushes a tire that hard on backroads. I drive aggressively (within my ability) but I also am very cognizant about safety and what is around the next corner so I don't think I'd get value out of the tire for street only use, which is what the OP is using them for. I've done some back road tours following GT3s and they weren't really shaking me that much even with the upgraded performance of the car and tires. On a track I would be waving bye bye to them...

As an aside, we had some torrential rains in SoCal a few weeks back and ran into many rivers on the freeway coming back from Orange County. Car got upset but quickly composed itself and I was glad I had the 4S' on my car and not something else.
Old 04-03-2020, 07:51 PM
Need4S
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I think a lot depends on the climate where you are and whether your car is RWD or AWD. I'm somewhat risk adverse (odd to say since I track) so do fall and spring changeovers from street tires to Cup2s for summer, so I don't have do any swaps for track days. But my turbo is AWD, and it really doesn't get too crazy cold here in the San Francisco Bay Area. I've waited well into colder months to do my changeover and only had mild, easily controllable slip with Cup2s into November. I've also changed them back a tad early once, in March, and had the same experience when it was really colder than ideal. I'm sure if my car was a RWD GT3, though, it would have been more, uh, "exciting." And wet streets have not been a problem, but standing water is.

Quick Reply: Sport Cup 2's