Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 C2S Damaged by Transporter - How to Handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 11:55 AM
Troy Hebert
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 C2S Damaged by Transporter - How to Handle?

Hi guys,

I wanted to get some advice from you all regarding how you would handle the situation. Think some of you will find this interesting!

I bought a nice used 911 C2S from a great indy dealer in Texas. They've been great to work with. After a month or so, we finally got a transporter that they use frequently (not a broker with a low cost) to get the car to me in CT.

The car arrived yesterday, and the driver hit a pothole and the car came loose in the trailer causing a good amount of body damage. Think $12-$15k. All body damage, but likely needs front bumper and the protector seal, the plastic front bumper part, passenger door, quarters panel, and side skirt all replaced and repainted.

What would you guys do in this scenario? The current process is we are bringing it straight to a "Porsche CPO certified" repair shop to get fixed on the transporters dime, but they are not going to use their insurance so it's not reported to CarFax. There is not a material amount of damage to the parts, but enough dents/scratches to have them replaced and repainted.

I guess the question is how would you handle the situation? I am now 2 weeks more delayed on the car, and would like my transport fee refunded. Further, I'm wondering primarily if you guys would think it's better to go through their insurance and have it on the CarFax, everything is done perfectly and I can always have a record of it for law suit. I think the CarFax would would depreciate the value of the car even though it wasn't in an on-road accident, it's just something to explain to a buyer which will considerably devalue the car.

So do you force them to use their insurance and file a law suit against the the transporter for the full value of the transport ($1,500), and diminished car value? Do you allow them to repair at the shop, do an inspection once completed before signing for acceptance of delivery, and just call it a day? Or do you even just refuse to take delivery of the car and have the dealer and the transporter handle it.

It is a unique car to some extent (manual, a rare color, sport chrono & exhaust etc. dont want to give away too many details), so I would HATE to return the car especially since I got a really good deal on it.

Of course this happens the biggest one day market decline since 1987 and I'm canceling the spring break trip due to the coronavirus!
Old 03-13-2020, 12:03 PM
oolor13
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't know, how do you feel about having so much repair work done to the car?

If it were me, there would be two scenarios I would accept:
(1) Full repair at Porsche-certified body shop to your approval, refund of transporter fee, and diminished value.
Or
(2) A full refund of total purchase price and transporter fee, they return the car back to the dealer.

Old 03-13-2020, 12:07 PM
SH2
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by oolor13
I don't know, how do you feel about having so much repair work done to the car?

If it were me, there would be two scenarios I would accept:
(1) Full repair at Porsche-certified body shop to your approval, refund of transporter fee, and diminished value.
Or
(2) A full refund of total purchase price and transporter fee, they return the car back to the dealer.
No to part 1, yes to part 2. The vehicle goes back with entire refund back to you.
Old 03-13-2020, 12:08 PM
jasonl88
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am a broker in the heavy haul industry (construction equipment) and I can at least shed some light on how I handle cargo claims. Hopefully the carrier has proper cargo insurance. If you can provide a DOT # for the carrier I can check them out. First, make sure everything is documented. I assume when the car delivered pictures were taken and all damage notated on paperwork. Hopefully the driver signed this document as well. I am sure you have alerted the dealer and hopefully this is a carrier they use often and have a relationship with which helps. I would immediately file a claim with the carrier's insurance company. I would also go ahead and have a dealer or body shop with experience with 911's evaluate and provide an estimate for repairs. The carrier may also send someone to look at the car. Typically you will need to come to an agreement on repair cost with the insurance company. Once that is done you can choose the path you want to take on the repairs and they will cut you a check.
The following users liked this post:
Honda (03-17-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 12:48 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 136 Likes on 86 Posts

In my opinion what is the transporter trying to hide by not notifying his insurance company? Carfax doesn’t capture and record all accidents. Your Porsche will not be the same and its value will diminish. If you can accept and live with the transporter’s blunder it’s your call. Personally I would not accept the car, move on, you don’t need our advice to make a rational decision.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:33 PM
Troy Hebert
Track Day

I wasn't sure that if there was a ton of body work done by a certified Porsche dealer that it wouldn't be reported to CarFax. I thought it would be for sure.

Why are you saying the value of the car will be diminished if it's not reported? I figured it would only be diminished if it was reported to CarFax as an accident, or if it was noticeable/repairs were not done perfectly. If the repairs are done perfectly, how would you tell if there was a repair?
Old 03-13-2020, 01:36 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 563 Likes on 300 Posts

Get all your money back and shop for another drama free car. There are plenty out there.
The following 3 users liked this post by Catharpin:
George from MD (03-14-2020), m5biemer (03-14-2020), rouxeny (04-21-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:37 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 272 Posts

>>the driver hit a pothole and the car came loose in the trailer causing a good amount of body damage. Think $12-$15k. All body damage, but likely needs front bumper and the protector seal, the plastic front bumper part, passenger door, quarters panel, and side skirt all replaced and repainted.<<

A pothole caused that much damage? An offroad excursion maybe, but a pothole?

Regardless, I'm with Sid: >>If you can accept and live with the transporter’s blunder it’s your call. Personally I would not accept the car, move on, you don’t need our advice to make a rational decision.<<

DaveGee
Old 03-13-2020, 01:47 PM
plenum
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
A pothole caused that much damage? An offroad excursion maybe, but a pothole?
I just read a story somewhere recently where a transporter did not properly strap the car down, straps loosened, and when the truck had to stop suddenly the car on the bed lurched-forwards and smashed into the back of the truck cab. Caused enough front-end damage that the car was further totaled, apparently. So not surprising at all. Cars have also fallen-off flatbeds, or off the ramps going-on or coming-off the bed. It happens!
Old 03-13-2020, 01:48 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

I would have refused the vehicle and moved on. Too many nice cars out there. I know you want your car buts it’s really not that special.
Old 03-13-2020, 01:50 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

The fact that this car suffered this sort of damage before you even took ownership of it is the sort of thing that'll bother me as an owner.

It's almost like it'll always have an invisible asterisk next to it. I would personally attempt to return it and get a different car.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:01 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 188 Likes on 125 Posts

Do not accept it and do not waste your time repairing it.
I'd walk away.. It's not some rare specimen.
Hit the reset button and find another.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:05 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by jasonl88
I am a broker in the heavy haul industry (construction equipment) and I can at least shed some light on how I handle cargo claims. Hopefully the carrier has proper cargo insurance. If you can provide a DOT # for the carrier I can check them out. First, make sure everything is documented. I assume when the car delivered pictures were taken and all damage notated on paperwork. Hopefully the driver signed this document as well. I am sure you have alerted the dealer and hopefully this is a carrier they use often and have a relationship with which helps. I would immediately file a claim with the carrier's insurance company. I would also go ahead and have a dealer or body shop with experience with 911's evaluate and provide an estimate for repairs. The carrier may also send someone to look at the car. Typically you will need to come to an agreement on repair cost with the insurance company. Once that is done you can choose the path you want to take on the repairs and they will cut you a check.
Don't forget diminished value. If you're going to keep it a long time then get it fixed [right] and take the DV.

Personally, I would not have taken delivery....
Old 03-13-2020, 02:33 PM
Troy Hebert
Track Day

Dealer will not take the car back. I never signed for delivery, but I technically own the vehicle and they won't take the car back.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:34 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

This could end up on Carfax even if insurance is not involved. Want to take that chance?

If there are new panels, and they need painting, then any future buyer doing due diligence would instantly find that out.

I would send it back and forget the endless drama that is guaranteed to unfold.

Quick Reply: 911 C2S Damaged by Transporter - How to Handle?