Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 C2S Damaged by Transporter - How to Handle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2020, 02:39 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 158 Posts

Refusing the car would be the route I would take. Is this an option for you?
Old 03-13-2020, 02:43 PM
Troy Hebert
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am working to find another lawyer but the dealer won't take the car back because we executed a Bill of Sale and I purchased the car prior to transport.
Old 03-13-2020, 02:46 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 767 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Hebert
I am working to find another lawyer but the dealer won't take the car back because we executed a Bill of Sale and I purchased the car prior to transport.
Holy crap. This is not a good situation to be in. You purchased a vehicle in good condition and it was damaged by a party other then you are told you have to keep it? Why do you have to accept this car? Doesn’t sound right. I think dealer is trying to get you to keep it by blowing smoke. How did you pay for this vehicle?

My guess they are giving you the run around and because of this you will miss the window to refuse the car because of damage. Communications should be via email so you have a paper trail.

Last edited by Jack F; 03-13-2020 at 04:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Honda (03-17-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:54 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

Lawyer up!
sr5959 (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:55 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,302 Likes on 887 Posts

Who contracted with the carrier? That's the only question that matters. It sounds like you did, if you paid the transport fee?

It will be VERY hard to get the dealer to take the car back in that case. The fact that they recommended the carrier probably won't be very useful in court.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:07 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,190 Likes on 2,181 Posts

I do not see the dealer taking the car back. This is the transporters issue, unless it was the dealer actually delivering the car, which was not the case.

I would want the transport company to either be responsible for buying back the car which I have never heard of happening, or a substantial diminished value claim. You can go to a body shop and it will not be reported on Carfax most likely. If you had an insurance claim on it, then it would show up as a damage report on Carfax. If a police report was done, then it would be an accident on the Carfax.

I would recommend getting everything repaired and then trying to get around a $10k diminished value claim on that car. I know that if I was buying that car, I would want a discount on it over one that had not had panels replaced. Any buyer with a paint meter is going to find out that it had damage and if you were selling the car you should ethically report that.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:09 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

I mean, if the dealer arranged for transportation, I think part of this is on the dealer to make OP whole.

If I buy something through Amazon, and it gets damaged in the mail, yes I can pursue the carrier for it, but it's usually Amazon who will replace the object.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but if the dealer arranged transportation, it feels like it's partially on them to resolve it.
Old 03-13-2020, 03:36 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,350 Likes on 760 Posts

Get a lawyer and see if you can push the car back to the dealer. It sounds like that is already not an option from what I am reading. If you are still comfortable with the car get it fixed properly with OEM parts at a Certified shop. The car will drive just as well and could possibly even look better when finished. Sometimes you have to work with what you have. Everyone here telling you to just send it back would have the same issues you are having. Get the most you can, use the insurance company, and maybe use the lawyer to make sure you get a little extra.

Its a car not a rare piece of art or sculpture. Very fixable and still able to put a smile on your face.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:12 PM
Troy Hebert
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gents - get this. The transporter's insurance sounds inadequate to cover something like this. Do not ask me why; I did not review the transporter's insurance which sounds like the Dealer, who engaged them, should have. They are willing to pay for the repairs but not the potentially diminished value.

There are also based in Canada, so tough to litigate.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:21 PM
BlueShell
Racer

Received 179 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Hebert
Gents - get this. The transporter's insurance sounds inadequate to cover something like this. Do not ask me why; I did not review the transporter's insurance which sounds like the Dealer, who engaged them, should have. They are willing to pay for the repairs but not the potentially diminished value.

There are also based in Canada, so tough to litigate.
Do you have multiple Rennlist accounts? Looks like you're responding from two different accounts?

Anyways, I would consider getting the dealership involved at this point. Somebody needs to make you whole which in my opinion means replacing the car or a refund, or fixing the car to the point of your approval + diminished value + refund on the cost of transportation.
Old 03-13-2020, 04:24 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
I mean, if the dealer arranged for transportation, I think part of this is on the dealer to make OP whole.

If I buy something through Amazon, and it gets damaged in the mail, yes I can pursue the carrier for it, but it's usually Amazon who will replace the object.

I know it's not a direct comparison, but if the dealer arranged transportation, it feels like it's partially on them to resolve it.
The dealer arranged the transportation entirely and paid them, subsequently invoicing me (which I have not paid).
Old 03-13-2020, 04:25 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueShell
Do you have multiple Rennlist accounts? Looks like you're responding from two different accounts?

Anyways, I would consider getting the dealership involved at this point. Somebody needs to make you whole which in my opinion means replacing the car or a refund, or fixing the car to the point of your approval + diminished value + refund on the cost of transportation.
The dealership is involved but they are not willing to take the car back.
Old 03-13-2020, 05:37 PM
dodge
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pictures???
Old 03-13-2020, 05:46 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

OP, first of all I’m very sorry you’re having to go through this, the nightmare scenario for all of us having cars shipped. Secondly, it sounds to me like you have paid for the car, but not the transport. Is that correct?

In this case I agree with others, get a lawyer involved immediately you will benefit greatly by doing that. Try to get the lawyer to get you full cost of the car back and you in effect sell it to the transport company.

If the dealership has been paid in full for the car they are not going to help you.

Good luck.

Old 03-13-2020, 06:48 PM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 978 Posts

dealer will not take car back and they are well within their rights

you are fully covered via transporter insurance company. Its now up to You to hire an attorney (or try on your own) to not only get your car fixed but also recoup diminished value (hence why I mentioned lawyer)

this is part of the risk we all take when we buy out of state and when we say yes to transport. You may not like my answer but after running around in circles, you will return to this reality

good luck and stay the course.. it will all work out in the end.. but the ****y part is already done and there is no going back.. accept reality and make good long term decisions.
Honda (03-17-2020)

Quick Reply: 911 C2S Damaged by Transporter - How to Handle?