Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I won a ‘16 911 Carrera 4 GTS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2021, 07:25 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Wow I know there's fraud everywhere in the used car business, but doctoring a car like that to make it look like it's not damaged, cutting off the airbags and putting the covers back on, that stuff takes some serious bad guy chops.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:04 PM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,309 Posts

This is a very common tactic, unfortunately, and the bigger kick in the nuts is that it's not actually fraud either. Car is sold as-is, it does technically run and drive as they state, it was in a front-end collision, and it is being sold as pictured. What you see is what you get. At no point do these places say "the car is clean/undamaged" -- that's lawsuit territory, and they will do what they can to protect themselves from these sue-happy people who would want to retaliate.

A number of the youtubers that buy/fix/sell copart and other auction cars have made videos about this. The general takeaway is that if things look good but not perfect (such as OP's identification of frunk tub bends and bumper cover misalignment), the car is completely hoopajooped under the plastic skin. Many of these places will just get cheap cosmetic parts, set them on the car, sometimes ziptie them, tape them, or even bolt them up, take just vague enough pictures to help hide it, and list it.

If it's too good to be true, chances are it's a scam of some sort. No free lunch in this world.
Old 08-27-2021, 12:31 PM
AGrush
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by asellus
This is a very common tactic, unfortunately, and the bigger kick in the nuts is that it's not actually fraud either. Car is sold as-is, it does technically run and drive as they state, it was in a front-end collision, and it is being sold as pictured. What you see is what you get. At no point do these places say "the car is clean/undamaged" -- that's lawsuit territory, and they will do what they can to protect themselves from these sue-happy people who would want to retaliate.

A number of the youtubers that buy/fix/sell copart and other auction cars have made videos about this. The general takeaway is that if things look good but not perfect (such as OP's identification of frunk tub bends and bumper cover misalignment), the car is completely hoopajooped under the plastic skin. Many of these places will just get cheap cosmetic parts, set them on the car, sometimes ziptie them, tape them, or even bolt them up, take just vague enough pictures to help hide it, and list it.

If it's too good to be true, chances are it's a scam of some sort. No free lunch in this world.

Yep, 100% to all of that. And that's why I'm counting myself lucky considering the boneheaded mistake I made.

Quick Reply: I won a ‘16 911 Carrera 4 GTS