Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY2017+ Wireless Carplay

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2021 | 07:05 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Default MY2017+ Wireless Carplay

I thought I would share with everyone that I dove in without much to back up that
this this
wireless carplay module is working with my 2017 C4 991.2. The module plugs in to the USB just as a normal phone cable would and you follow the onscreen instructions to setup; it took about 30-45 seconds for initial setup. I read a couple things about delayed audio so I tested Pandora and there didn't appear to be any delay at all. Since the phone was connected to the device for wifi and bluetooth, I was questioning if my internet connection would still work, so i switched over to waze and typed in a destination and it all loaded fine. I haven't put it through thorough testing but from first glance everything appears to be working exactly as you would want. The only downside I can think of is that my phone is nolonger connected to the car built-in-hotspot anymore, but its not a big deal and I can always plug it in for wired carplay and use the hotspot if im driving in rural areas. I am not paid or incentivized to write this, but thought there wasn't too much data out there and I couldn't be the only one wanting wireless carplay.

LINK:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by smgkc; 02-16-2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2021 | 07:40 PM
smgkc
Instructor

I must have gotten too excited too quick, even after an update there is an audio lag. Wouldn't matter if listening to music but for calls and videos its annoying. Im going to try the JoyeAuto version, its claimed that there is no lag after you update it. I'll keep you all posted.

LINK: https://www.joyeauto.com/wireless-ca...carplaywjuc-1/
Old 08-25-2021 | 04:54 PM
smgkc
Instructor

Ok reporting back in, I got the JoyeAuto version and am pretty disappointed, it does work but it takes forever to boot and connect (think a minute plus), it makes you click the liability disclosure every time, you have to connect your phone (on-screen) every time, and the range of the Bluetooth and wifi are incredible (bad thing) which means that if you don't lock your car at your house it will constantly pick up the call and switch to the device. There's more negative but i think the point is to avoid the JoyeAuto dongle unless you need the ability to stream youtube from your phone.

So I finally got so fed up with the Joyeauto unit that I did a little research and found this (LINK) and ordered the Ottocast
here (LINK) here (LINK)
. I love it, it auto connects to the iPhone without pressing anything on-screen, and it boots in 19 seconds to the full carplay menu, not some UI for the controller itself (it feels pretty quick), and it just works. I am extremely pleased compared to the Joyeauto, I haven't tried anything to measure any lag but haven't noticed any music lag, ill report back on it. I would say this and the rennline & spiegel charger combo are some of the best additions I've made to the car.

**I am not paid or incentivized by anyone, just giving my feedback as I am excited to have this and really enjoy using my carplay.**

Last edited by smgkc; 08-25-2021 at 04:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
r00t61 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021 | 01:14 AM
jeffucd
Advanced

Wow, thanks for your persistence and sharing your learning experience here. I might give it a shot!
Old 08-27-2021 | 12:57 PM
marinb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by smgkc
So I finally got so fed up with the Joyeauto unit that I did a little research and found this (LINK) and ordered the Ottocast here (LINK).
Thanks! I'll try this one too.

Quick Reply: MY2017+ Wireless Carplay