Sponsored by:

Does my car have PASM or SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 04:50 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
can anyone confirm is the only diff between Pasm and Spasm are the springs? If I install pasm springs do I now effectively have Pasm and not Spasm? if so I don’t need to return this car - I would just replace the springs. I’d imagine the shocks are also diff tho?
The PASM/SPASM shocks have a different part number, maybe slightly different valving. But I used my original PASM shocks with the oem shorter sport springs and they work fine. The shorter springs with the PASM shocks did give a stiffer ride as expected.
The following users liked this post:
b1st (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 05:04 PM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have one hr to decide... I’m leaning towards keeping the car. Lower pressure then DCS. Install PASM springs as the last resort...
Pavegeno928 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 06:18 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
can anyone confirm is the only diff between Pasm and Spasm are the springs? If I install pasm springs do I now effectively have Pasm and not Spasm? if so I don’t need to return this car - I would just replace the springs. I’d imagine the shocks are also diff tho?
SPASM has shorter stiffer springs than PASM, and stiffer sway bars.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:20 PM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

I went to dealer and compared part numbers as I thought about swapping my PASM springs for SPASM Springs. The springs, bump stops (labeled helper springs in their system), and shocks are different. The sway bar part is the same IF you have PDCC.
b1st (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 03:03 AM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So I'm keeping the car. I lowered tire pressure from 31/37 to 28/32 and drove around for an hour tonight. I do feel difference but not enough. The car absorbs high-frequency-low-amplitude bumps/potholes beautifully. I have no prob going over potholes of say up to 1.5 inches in depth. I'd imagine it wouldn't be too terrible driving on a cobblestone road in old town in Europe. The issue is the sudden road elevation changes, mostly on the LA freeway - say something like 6" elevation change over 5-10 feet. Or speed-bump-sized road irregularity on the surface streets. The car eats them up in one short suspension cycle (short suspension travel and high damping) and my lower back feels the deceleration from that event. So I think my issue has more to do w the suspension travel (longer it is the less deceleration force and vice versa) and less to do w the tire pressure. Tire pressure has more to do with "jarring" ride where you get crashes over road imperfections from my experience.

The F82 M4 w adaptive suspension was sort of the opposite. It crashed all over imperfect roads to the point where my head hurt. But I had no problem going over large-and-high smooth bumps on the freeway. If this makes any sense...

So... my next step would be to get DSC and perhaps have them set the minimum setting to 5 as opposed to 10 or whatever the default is. And I'd set the max to be slightly softer than the factory SPASM in Sport. I read somewhere that factory PASM has damping values of "30" and "70" for normal and sport respectively. So I'd program the DSC to go from 5 to 60.

Good news is that I know myself - haven't kept the same car for more than a year the past 5 cars - so I leased this car instead of buying. If I end up trading it in 6 months from now so be it. At least I won't lose $10k+ in California sales tax.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:19 AM
_RS_
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 62 Posts

LOL a leasing benefit is sales tax. Good luck b1st
I've found the softer setting to use with my non PDCC car with SPASM is good. I feel uncomfortable if driven for uninteresting long journeys though.

Quick Reply: Does my car have PASM or SPASM