Sponsored by:

Does my car have PASM or SPASM

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2020, 03:54 AM
b1st
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does my car have PASM or SPASM

So the good news is that I finally got my 991.2 C2S last Saturday after 3+ months of searching. Bad news is that I may have jumped the gun way too fast and gotten a car with an option I absolutely did not want: SPASM. I have back issues and the roads around me are very rough so that's one option I wanted to completely avoid.

https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A96KS115121/

I think in haste I read the option as "PDCC with PASM, Sport Suspension" as opposed to "PDCC with PASM Sport, Suspension" I did ask the sales guy over the phone and he confirmed that it did not have SPASM but in retrospect, he didn't know what he was talking about.

So... does my car have PASM or SPASM?

Angeles Crest Highway this Sunday
Old 03-11-2020, 03:57 AM
b1st
Advanced

The dealer has a "5 day no questions asked" return policy and I bought the car Saturday so I have one day lol.
Old 03-11-2020, 07:00 AM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 233 Posts

I have Sport PASM on my 991.1. The certificate of authenticity reads "PASM w/Sport Suspension" and the window sticker reads "PASM Sport Suspension" and the configurator listed it as "Option code 030 PASM Sport Suspension." From this link: https://vinanalytics.com/car/WP0AB2A96KS115121/ it says you do have PASM Sport with PDCC. This matches the Option Code 031 you have from your VIN link. Option Code 030 would also indicate Sport PASM, but without PDCC.

I do not find SPASM uncomfortable in either the normal (light off) or sport (light on) setting. PASM=10 mm lower than non-PASM cars. Sport PASM=20 mm lower than PASM. Note the car does not move up or down based on button setting. It is a static ride-height regardless of normal or sport mode on your PASM/SPASM button. The only suspension that will physically move the car up or down is the Air Suspension which wasn't offered on the 911. PDCC is a separate option you could get with or without PASM/SPASM and is strictly anti-roll. You will see "PDCC" on the suspension button, though I believe early on there was no "PDCC" on the button. They added it later because people want to see that they have the option installed.

I have a bad back from a helicopter crash. I've put 60K miles on my 991 with SPASM and driven many 10-12 hour days in my 991 without any back issues. Best thing for your back is seat heating and the lumbar support with 14/18 way seats. The 991 is the firmest of the cars I own but not jarring. How good are the roads where you live? If they suck, no car will mask that. If they are decent, you might be ok.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
b1st (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:21 AM
swagon
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

It says PASM Sport Suspension, so it's got it. You could have either PASM, SPASM, PDCC with PASM, or PDCC with SPASM (in conjuction only with RWS). You have the last option. One other clue is that cars with this option have an extended front lip on the bottom of the bumper.

You didn't say whether the ride is too rough for you, though? And also, to help with ride comfort, you could downsize to 19" wheels maybe if, otherwise, you like the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by swagon:
b1st (03-11-2020), Pavegeno928 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 07:34 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,138 Likes on 641 Posts

It's tough for me to imagine a world where a Porsche OEM suspension on a non-GT car is noticeably too rough, even on bad roads. My 981 Boxster GTS has the X73 sports suspension and I was concerned about the option before I bought it as well, but it rides better than the F82 M4 I had before it and WAY better than the 2015 STI I had before that.

I'd think that if you haven't noticed it as being terrible by now and have to ask- it probably is fine and you'll enjoy the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by manifold danger:
Pavegeno928 (03-11-2020), _RS_ (03-12-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 08:46 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

"031 PDCC with PASM Sport Suspension i.c.w. Rear Axle Steering"

means you have the sport suspension-
Other than when in "Sport Plus" (which activates the engine/trans stiff setting) both PASM and SPORT PASM are quite supple. Also, PDCC effectively disengages the stiffer sway bars of the Sport PASM shocks except when cornering, so that will smooth out road irregularities some.

So, you really ought to go back to the dealer and test drive a non- sport "PASM" for a "back to back" comparison before you jump out of a beautiful build.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:04 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Wow. That build ticks all the right boxes. Sport chrono, adaptive seats, leather, exhaust, wheels, rws, PDCC... Take another Aleve and keep the car!

Last edited by mgordon18; 03-11-2020 at 11:15 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by mgordon18:
manifold danger (03-12-2020), Pavegeno928 (03-11-2020), Yojeffo (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 10:44 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

If you really like the car maybe you can try the DSC module and have Tom set it up for the softest settings.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:38 AM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Check the tire pressure,setting the "partial load comfort pressure" makes all the difference in the ride. My 2017 C2S manual says 29psi front, 31psi rear. It came from the dealer with the door placard pressures of 35f,45r and rode like a rock! (PASM, non-sport suspension)
Pavegeno928 (03-11-2020)
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 PM
ryandarr1979
Three Wheelin'

Received 837 Likes on 417 Posts

Having owned both 991.1 and 991.2s with PASM and SPASM (and I also have a bad back) a SPASM car not in sport + mode, suspension is fine to me. Pretty comfortable. In sport + mode, its very rough, and my car is not a GT car (Carrera GTS which sits even lower than an S/4S). If the car is too rough for you in normal, try reducing tire pressures a little bit to a more comfortable PSI.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:16 PM
b1st
Advanced

All great comments. Here are some of the answers:

0. I live in downtown Los Angeles. The roads around me are some of the worst I've seen. I've lived in NYC, Upstate New York where the snowplow destroys the pavement every other day during winter months.
1. I do find the ride a bit harsher than I'd like. I can drive 2-3 hrs in a day without too much of an issue. But I think I would be in pain if I drove for 5 hrs on a day, even with breaks.
2. I've had F82 M4 with 19" and even with adaptive suspension that car was too rough for me. And that was before my current back issues. This car does ride noticeably better than the F82.
3. My last car was 718 Cayman S passive suspension w 19". My current 911 ride a tad better than the 718. In the 718 I couldn't drive for more than a couple hrs on a given day. I couldn't do anything remotely athletic after driven it. For example, I couldn't drive it to the tennis court to play tennis and then drive back. I'd had to drive my other car, X3.
4. From my research PDCC disengages the anti-roll bars at speeds under 17mph. Anything over, it's fully engaged. My issues is that the every day roads (roads on which you'd cruise at 30-50mph) around here are terrible and I couldn't drive under 17mph.
5. I'm aware of the DSC and it sounds very promising. But wouldn't it give me even better ride with PASM?
6. The car did come w 35/45psi front and back. My manual says 31/37 for front and back for comfort partial load. I did change that and that did make some difference but still on the side of uncomfortable.

There is a car that I was going to get until this one came around. It's a 17 C2S w Sports Chrono 14-way and lots of other interior bits (but no sports exhaust, RWS, and PDCC). I do find RWS and PDCC interesting but I don't do much tracking so don't feel they are necessary for me - I just do spirited drives on the canyons near LA. As for sports exhaust, I can always get an aftermarket one. But that one has 34k miles (cheaper but paint could use some work)

I do LOVE the car. It does check every box for me except for SPASM. It's very clean and already came w clear bra - This was a former Porsche Experience Center car w 5000 miles so I got a good deal on it. But I want to maximize the enjoyment I get out of the car as much as I can. For example, I want to be able to drive to 4-5 hrs on a day around town and up and down the mountain and not be in pain so that I can do something else in the evening. I have about 6 hours to decide...

Is the diff between PASM and SPASM only the springs? If so, can I just swap out the SPASM springs for PASM ones?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:35 PM
g00dparsh
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ryandarr1979
Having owned both 991.1 and 991.2s with PASM and SPASM (and I also have a bad back) a SPASM car not in sport + mode, suspension is fine to me. Pretty comfortable. In sport + mode, its very rough, and my car is not a GT car (Carrera GTS which sits even lower than an S/4S). If the car is too rough for you in normal, try reducing tire pressures a little bit to a more comfortable PSI.
Just echoing this - I would imagine that Porsche considered a clientele that won't always want stiff damper settings on a car like this.

Reducing PSI goes a loooooong way also as someone who also has an iffy back.
Old 03-11-2020, 02:04 PM
fsmich
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 107 Posts

Set 29f/31r cold and drive. 37 rear is too hi, it's going to be at 40 after 15 min on the fwy. For reference, I start at 26/27 at the track, take it easy for a lap, and then start working. The first lap is still more aggressive than you would drive on the street, and I have had no tire issues. If you keep the car and still want the PASM springs, I have a set I'll sell for $200.
Old 03-11-2020, 03:59 PM
b1st
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsmich
Set 29f/31r cold and drive. 37 rear is too hi, it's going to be at 40 after 15 min on the fwy. For reference, I start at 26/27 at the track, take it easy for a lap, and then start working. The first lap is still more aggressive than you would drive on the street, and I have had no tire issues. If you keep the car and still want the PASM springs, I have a set I'll sell for $200.
can anyone confirm is the only diff between Pasm and Spasm are the springs? If I install pasm springs do I now effectively have Pasm and not Spasm? if so I don’t need to return this car - I would just replace the springs. I’d imagine the shocks are also diff tho?
Old 03-11-2020, 04:38 PM
s26singh
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by b1st
can anyone confirm is the only diff between Pasm and Spasm are the springs? If I install pasm springs do I now effectively have Pasm and not Spasm? if so I don’t need to return this car - I would just replace the springs. I’d imagine the shocks are also diff tho?
Shorter/different springs for sure - not too sure about the shocks but I would assume they are also different.

Try DSC Sports module - that will really help.
b1st (03-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Does my car have PASM or SPASM