Sponsored by:

Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2020, 10:12 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
For the rears yes, OEM pads are the same size. For the front calipers I was able to use a GTS pad which is slightly larger.
Is that a 991.2 GTS pad you are talking about? Which would be the same size as the S pad...
Old 03-02-2020, 12:53 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by rubenhak
Any change you have a part number? They seem to be the same... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99135194902.html
For clarification I installed a low dust brake pad. The brand I installed is the Carbotech pads Mfr. Part # CT1741-1521 (Front Pads). The second set of numbers (1521) signify street pads. The width of the OEM vs the Carbo pads are the same. The difference is the height of the pad (not thickness) that makes up for the additional 10mm diameter increase in the rotor (OEM 340mm to Gyro 350mm). When I was conducting my research I was informed by Gyrodisc the GT3 pad would fit perfectly on my rotors. Plus I was also informed the OEM front pads will work just fine with the Gyrodisc front rotors. The rear pads are unchanged.

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Is that a 991.2 GTS pad you are talking about? Which would be the same size as the S pad...
I own a 2014 991.1 50th model. The brake pads for a GT3 fit perfectly on my six piston front calipers with the two piece Gyrodisc 350mm rotors. The increase in rotor size by 10mm diameter (340mm to 350mm) is the governing factor that allows one to upgrade brake pads from a CS to GT3. I recommend you call Gyrodisc and ask to speak to their Porsche or technical support department.

Last edited by Sidvicious7; 03-02-2020 at 01:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
rubenhak (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 03:11 PM
MikeGirodisc
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunP
I’ve been eyeing the girodisc rotors, but wanted to keep the standard size pads. I didn’t want to have to use the GT3 size
Just thought I would pop in here and clarify a few things. We actually have two different rotor options for the front of the 991.1 S/GTS. The p/n on we website A1-122 is specific to the 991.1 and the OEM brake pads. The rotor does increase the diameter to 350mm and includes the necessary spacers and bolts to accommodate the increase in diameter for a 100% plug and play solution.

Alternatively we also offer an option to run our p/n A1-032 which has a taller swept area and allows the use of the taller GT3 brake pad shape as Sidvicious7 did with his vehicle. This opens up pad options a bit and increases the mass of the disc which provides some additional thermal capacity. The A1-032 p/n is also 350mm however it does not require spacers because the taller pads accommodate for the increase in diameter. This is exactly what Porsche did on the 991.2, that car uses the same caliper and upright as the 991.1 however it utilizes a larger 350mm rotor and the taller brake pad.

Hope that clears things up!
Old 03-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MikeGirodisc
Just thought I would pop in here and clarify a few things. We actually have two different rotor options for the front of the 991.1 S/GTS. The p/n on we website A1-122 is specific to the 991.1 and the OEM brake pads. The rotor does increase the diameter to 350mm and includes the necessary spacers and bolts to accommodate the increase in diameter for a 100% plug and play solution.

Alternatively we also offer an option to run our p/n A1-032 which has a taller swept area and allows the use of the taller GT3 brake pad shape as Sidvicious7 did with his vehicle. This opens up pad options a bit and increases the mass of the disc which provides some additional thermal capacity. The A1-032 p/n is also 350mm however it does not require spacers because the taller pads accommodate for the increase in diameter. This is exactly what Porsche did on the 991.2, that car uses the same caliper and upright as the 991.1 however it utilizes a larger 350mm rotor and the taller brake pad.

Thanks for your input Mike.
Old 03-02-2020, 04:28 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for info. Does that make A1-032 slightly heavier than A1-122? Also, on the web site it says that A1-032 is made for 996 and there is no mention of 991.

How would one choose A1-032 vs A1-122 for 991.1S? Is it just based on preference of using spacers vs no spacers?
Old 03-02-2020, 04:31 PM
rubenhak
Racer

For clarification I installed a low dust brake pad. The brand I installed is the Carbotech pads Mfr. Part # CT1741-1521 (Front Pads). The second set of numbers (1521) signify street pads. The width of the OEM vs the Carbo pads are the same. The difference is the height of the pad (not thickness) that makes up for the additional 10mm diameter increase in the rotor (OEM 340mm to Gyro 350mm). When I was conducting my research I was informed by Gyrodisc the GT3 pad would fit perfectly on my rotors. Plus I was also informed the OEM front pads will work just fine with the Gyrodisc front rotors. The rear pads are unchanged.
Thanks! Is it fair to assume Carotech pads perform as good as oem?
Old 03-02-2020, 05:30 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Thanks! Is it fair to assume Carotech pads perform as good as oem?
I have noticed the more miles on put my vehicle and applied my brakes under normal street and highway driving the better the pads grab. So the difference in performance is very close. There is also a big plus to these pads; they give off virtually almost no dust. When my vehicle had the OEM pads a quick drive around the block on freshly washed wheels they end result was a set of dusty rims. Lastly, I bedded the rotors and pads following the manufacturer’s recommendations where I have zero squeaking.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:41 PM
rubenhak
Racer

I have noticed the more miles on put my vehicle and applied my brakes under normal street and highway driving the better the pads grab. So the difference in performance is very close. There is also a big plus to these pads; they give off virtually almost no dust. When my vehicle had the OEM pads a quick drive around the block on freshly washed wheels they end result was a set of dusty rims. Lastly, I bedded the rotors and pads following the manufacturer’s recommendations where I have zero squeaking.
That's definitely important for most of us. Did you follow GiroDisc or Carotech bedding instructions?

Also, didn't you have luck in finding low dust rear pads?
Old 03-02-2020, 07:39 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

That's definitely important for most of us. Did you follow GiroDisc or Carotech bedding instructions?

Also, didn't you have luck in finding low dust rear pads?
Memory serves me I believe I followed the pads bedding instructions. I’m also using CarboTech rear pads and I’m extremely happy how they perform and I love that they emit almost zero dust. The lowest brake dust output in my opinion are carbon ceramic brakes. When comparing dust output with iron rotors on OEM pads vs CarboTech pads it’s 98% to 2% difference; and the drums on my wheels are finished in a high gloss black which has a tendency to amplify dust & dirt.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 169 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes! Thank you. This is exactly the information I was looking for.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:56 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Memory serves me I believe I followed the pads bedding instructions. I’m also using CarboTech rear pads and I’m extremely happy how they perform and I love that they emit almost zero dust. The lowest brake dust output in my opinion are carbon ceramic brakes. When comparing dust output with iron rotors on OEM pads vs CarboTech pads it’s 98% to 2% difference; and the drums on my wheels are finished in a high gloss black which has a tendency to amplify dust & dirt.
Got it. by any chance do you have the part # for rear pads? would it be CT1417-1521?
Old 03-03-2020, 09:14 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

OP: No one on this thread actually answered your question about whether the Girodiscs are "worth it," but I'll give you a hint: they're not. Particularly if you're not tracking your car very often.

You can buy 3 sets of OEM rotors and 5-6 sets of aftermarket slotted rotors for the price of one set of Girodiscs. Will the Girodiscs last 3x-6x longer? I doubt it. Do the Girodiscs stop your car any faster? My car gets into ABS real quick when I stomp on the brakes, on track @140mph or on the street @65mph.

Are they cool? Sure. Will the .00001% of people who care/notice be impressed? Possibly. Will YOU be happier knowing they're on there? Maybe. But are they worth it? I don't think so.

Edit: Bad math - Girodiscs are $2400 all around, OEM are $850, and aftermarket slotteds are $625. So you can get almost 3 sets of OEM and almost 4 sets of aftermarket. Granted, the Girodiscs are 2-piece rotors, so you wouldn't have to re-buy the hats, only the rings. But the rings alone are still $1600 for a full set of 4.

Last edited by mgordon18; 03-03-2020 at 11:13 AM.
The following 7 users liked this post by mgordon18:
AdamSanta85 (03-03-2020), Fullyield (08-23-2021), LargePuppy (03-03-2020), oolor13 (03-03-2020), Rich_Jenkins (03-03-2020), rubenhak (03-03-2020), Wolpertinger (03-03-2020) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 344 Likes on 188 Posts

Thank you for your review, this was the real world review I was looking for

Originally Posted by mgordon18
OP: No one on this thread actually answered your question about whether the Girodiscs are "worth it," but I'll give you a hint: they're not. Particularly if you're not tracking your car very often.

You can buy 3 sets of OEM rotors and 5-6 sets of aftermarket slotted rotors for the price of one set of Girodiscs. Will the Girodiscs last 3x-6x longer? I doubt it. Do the Girodiscs stop your car any faster? My car gets into ABS real quick when I stomp on the brakes, on track @140mph or on the street @65mph.

Are they cool? Sure. Will the .00001% of people who care/notice be impressed? Possibly. Will YOU be happier knowing they're on there? Maybe. But are they worth it? I don't think so.
Old 03-03-2020, 10:27 AM
B Russ
Rennlist Member

Received 818 Likes on 545 Posts

Part of the CPO on my car was new front rotors, Can I add Carbotech pads now after 1000 miles of use? Im tired of the car puking break dust. Its a 17 4S which ones would I get
Old 03-03-2020, 11:02 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I own a 2014 991.1 50th model. The brake pads for a GT3 fit perfectly on my six piston front calipers with the two piece Gyrodisc 350mm rotors. The increase in rotor size by 10mm diameter (340mm to 350mm) is the governing factor that allows one to upgrade brake pads from a CS to GT3. I recommend you call Gyrodisc and ask to speak to their Porsche or technical support department.
Track rotors and low-dust pads? I hope you do not intend to run those pads on the track because low/no-dust pads will literally explode, hence manufacturers' explicit warnings.

Originally Posted by mgordon18

+1. They are "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements" for most people...

Quick Reply: Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?