991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020 | 08:21 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Default Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?

Folks,
It is really time for brake service. Thinking about getting parts from SunCoastParts and get them installed by indy. Are 991 brakes any different from other cars in regards with installation?

How much do you get charged for installation?

i dont track much. I hope i will. Saw Girodiscs. look very nice. Any feedback on those? Do they last longer? Are custom things needed like some spacers or they fit perfectly?

cheers,
Ruben
Old 02-28-2020 | 08:49 PM
Rich_Jenkins
Rennlist Member

Ruben - Lots of good 991 Brake info here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1180...ally-last.html
The following users liked this post:
rubenhak (03-03-2020)
Old 02-28-2020 | 09:03 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Default Gyrodisc

The front OEM rotors on your 991 are likely 340mm and the rears are 330mm. The Gyrodisc rotors come slotted at 350mm and reduce approximately two pounds off each corner. I’m not sure if they still offer a flat rotor. They no longer drill the rotors due to the likelihood of cracking due to excessive heating when tracking. The rear rotors come with 12mm spacers and longer caliper bolts to accommodate the increased diameter. Since you plan on tracking your vehicle I’m sure you’re aware you will require a brake pad to handle the demand. If your 991 has the larger six piston caliper you can fit a GTS brake pad; however the rear caliper you will need to use a pad that is the same size as OEM.

Front Gyrodisc Rotor 350mm

Rear OEM Caliper Bolts vs Gyrodisc 12mm Spacers and Longer Bolts
Old 03-01-2020 | 04:56 AM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
The front OEM rotors on your 991 are likely 340mm and the rears are 330mm. The Gyrodisc rotors come slotted at 350mm and reduce approximately two pounds off each corner. I’m not sure if they still offer a flat rotor. They no longer drill the rotors due to the likelihood of cracking due to excessive heating when tracking. The rear rotors come with 12mm spacers and longer caliper bolts to accommodate the increased diameter. Since you plan on tracking your vehicle I’m sure you’re aware you will require a brake pad to handle the demand. If your 991 has the larger six piston caliper you can fit a GTS brake pad; however the rear caliper you will need to use a pad that is the same size as OEM.
Do the girodiscs come with those longer bolts and spacers? Yes there seems to be 10mm difference in the front and 20mm in the back. Would I need 2 spacers in the back?
Old 03-01-2020 | 05:01 AM
rubenhak
Racer

If your 991 has the larger six piston caliper you can fit a GTS brake pad; however the rear caliper you will need to use a pad that is the same size as OEM.
How do i determine how many pistons are there? Got a 2013 C2S
Old 03-01-2020 | 06:16 AM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rubenhak
How do i determine how many pistons are there? Got a 2013 C2S
6-piston calipers in front. 4-piston calipers in back.
Old 03-01-2020 | 11:31 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Brakes on the 991 are not anything special so if you have changed brakes on another vehicle you can change the brakes on a 991.
The following users liked this post:
Class5Kayaker (03-02-2020)
Old 03-01-2020 | 12:36 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rubenhak
Do the girodiscs come with those longer bolts and spacers? Yes there seems to be 10mm difference in the front and 20mm in the back. Would I need 2 spacers in the back?

When i purchased my rotors (Front & Rear) the kit came with everything including the larger caliper bolts for the rear and 12mm spacers. The front kit includes right & left front rotors. You will need to supply OEM front caliper bolts for the front (x4) if you want to follow Porsche recommendations which is replacing the caliper bots when removing the calipers. I used the same bolts since I don’t track my car. The rear kit comes with left and right rotors plus two (x2) 12mm spacers for each side and two sets or (x4) longer caliper bolts for the rear calipers.

Gyrodisc made it easy for the client by marking each box for the correct mounting position on your vehicle. The part number listed is specific for my model and the DSR signifies (Drilled - Slotted - Right) and DSL (Drilled - Slotted - Left).

Rear Rotor with spacers & longer bolts (2 for each side-rear)

Marked orientation For Each Rotor RF or “Right Front” & LF - “Left Front”
Old 03-01-2020 | 02:09 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Are you using the same OEM sized pads front and rear with the Girodisc rotors?

Old 03-01-2020 | 02:59 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ShaunP
Are you using the same OEM sized pads front and rear with the Girodisc rotors?
For the rears yes, OEM pads are the same size. For the front calipers I was able to use a GTS pad which is slightly larger.
Old 03-01-2020 | 08:59 PM
rubenhak
Racer

When i purchased my rotors (Front & Rear) the kit came with everything including the larger caliper bolts for the rear and 12mm spacers. The front kit includes right & left front rotors. You will need to supply OEM front caliper bolts for the front (x4) if you want to follow Porsche recommendations which is replacing the caliper bots when removing the calipers. I used the same bolts since I don’t track my car. The rear kit comes with left and right rotors plus two (x2) 12mm spacers for each side and two sets or (x4) longer caliper bolts for the rear calipers.

Gyrodisc made it easy for the client by marking each box for the correct mounting position on your vehicle. The part number listed is specific for my model and the DSR signifies (Drilled - Slotted - Right) and DSL (Drilled - Slotted - Left).
Does it mean that front caliper will get 10mm closer and the rear - 8mm (20mm - 12mm)?

How about other things like rotor retaining screws, springs? Is there a need to replace piston seals? car has 40k miles.
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:07 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Brakes on the 991 are not anything special so if you have changed brakes on another vehicle you can change the brakes on a 991.
I didn't, but I watched few youtube videos on that Also a friend of mine that changed brakes couple of times before will be supervising and drinking craft beer....
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:10 PM
rubenhak
Racer

For the rears yes, OEM pads are the same size. For the front calipers I was able to use a GTS pad which is slightly larger.
Any change you have a part number? They seem to be the same... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/99135194902.html
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:20 PM
ShaunP
Racer

I’ve been eyeing the girodisc rotors, but wanted to keep the standard size pads. I didn’t want to have to use the GT3 size
Old 03-01-2020 | 09:25 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by ShaunP
I’ve been eyeing the girodisc rotors, but wanted to keep the standard size pads. I didn’t want to have to use the GT3 size
My understanding was that pads stay same

Quick Reply: Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?