Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2020 | 11:15 AM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mgordon18
OP: No one on this thread actually answered your question about whether the Girodiscs are "worth it," but I'll give you a hint: they're not. Particularly if you're not tracking your car very often.

You can buy 3 sets of OEM rotors and 5-6 sets of aftermarket slotted rotors for the price of one set of Girodiscs. Will the Girodiscs last 3x-6x longer? I doubt it. Do the Girodiscs stop your car any faster? My car gets into ABS real quick when I stomp on the brakes, on track @140mph or on the street @65mph.

Are they cool? Sure. Will the .00001% of people who care/notice be impressed? Possibly. Will YOU be happier knowing they're on there? Maybe. But are they worth it? I don't think so.

Edit: Bad math - Girodiscs are $2400 all around, OEM are $850, and aftermarket slotteds are $625. So you can get almost 3 sets of OEM and almost 4 sets of aftermarket. Granted, the Girodiscs are 2-piece rotors, so you wouldn't have to re-buy the hats, only the rings. But the rings alone are still $1600 for a full set of 4.
To go further on this... if you are tracking regularly, you could buy one set of rotors from FCP Euro, and get free lifetime replacements for free going forward.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee

We're proud to offer some of the highest quality parts and reputable brands in the industry. Regardless of whether our parts are installed on a daily driver or a track car, we guarantee to stand by our promise.
But... Girodiscs are pretty damn sweet.
The following users liked this post:
rubenhak (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 07:06 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by mgordon18
You can buy 3 sets of OEM rotors and 5-6 sets of aftermarket slotted rotors for the price of one set of Girodiscs. Will the Girodiscs last 3x-6x longer? I doubt it. Do the Girodiscs stop your car any faster? My car gets into ABS real quick when I stomp on the brakes, on track @140mph or on the street @65mph.

Are they cool? Sure. Will the .00001% of people who care/notice be impressed? Possibly. Will YOU be happier knowing they're on there? Maybe. But are they worth it? I don't think so.

Edit: Bad math - Girodiscs are $2400 all around, OEM are $850, and aftermarket slotteds are $625. So you can get almost 3 sets of OEM and almost 4 sets of aftermarket. Granted, the Girodiscs are 2-piece rotors, so you wouldn't have to re-buy the hats, only the rings. But the rings alone are still $1600 for a full set of 4.
Looks is definitely an important part of consideration. Another reason i was thinking to go non-OE is to get rotors that wouldn't rust. I hate to see rust on rotors, even if they go away seconds after driving.

Any other aftermarket rotors you can recommend?

I found OEM rotors for $690 at sunset/suncoast online stores. With the pads combined, girodiscs are 2.5x more expensive. Still expensive.

Old 03-03-2020 | 07:28 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Track rotors and low-dust pads? I hope you do not intend to run those pads on the track because low/no-dust pads will literally explode, hence manufacturers' explicit warnings.
Wow, that's quite appealing. FCPEuro has basically 2 options: Sebro and Zimmerman. How should I choose between drilled OEM, slotted Sebro and drilled Zimmerman? Price is pretty close. Would strongly prefer rotors that don't rust. Thanks!
Hawkdog21 (04-02-2024)
Old 03-03-2020 | 07:35 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

if you are going to the track go with the slotted.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
FCP Euro (03-25-2020), rubenhak (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 09:41 PM
circuiticon
Rennlist Member

I have a lot of experience with Girodisc brakes. Feel free to PM me.
rubenhak (03-03-2020)
Old 03-03-2020 | 11:21 PM
skru_fase
Instructor

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
if you are going to the track go with the slotted.
The slotted you are referring to are the sebro correct? If so, is there any downside to those over OEM? I have seen them mentioned a lot, but it seems more on older generations for track use.
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:15 AM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by skru_fase
The slotted you are referring to are the sebro correct? If so, is there any downside to those over OEM? I have seen them mentioned a lot, but it seems more on older generations for track use.
Yes, Sebro slotted. Have experienced no downside at all. In fact I found the brakes to work significantly better in all aspects with the slotted rotors. Older generation cars or newer the slotted are better.
Old 03-04-2020 | 10:39 AM
The Fat Kid
Pro

Originally Posted by rubenhak
Wow, that's quite appealing. FCPEuro has basically 2 options: Sebro and Zimmerman. How should I choose between drilled OEM, slotted Sebro and drilled Zimmerman? Price is pretty close. Would strongly prefer rotors that don't rust. Thanks!
You are fine with either slotted or drilled, just avoid drilled AND slotted. I have rear Sebro drilled and have not noticed any issues with both the street and the track. I wanted to buy Sebro drilled for my fronts but FCP only had Porsche in stock. Friends have used both Sebro and Zimmerman on the track and have not heard anything negative about either, so they are both fine for the street.

Upgrade to PCCBs if you really hate rust and dust
Old 03-04-2020 | 08:13 PM
rubenhak
Racer

Originally Posted by The Fat Kid
Upgrade to PCCBs if you really hate rust and dust
I hate rust and dust, but its not yet worth $17k

Last edited by rubenhak; 03-04-2020 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-24-2020 | 11:03 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MikeGirodisc
Just thought I would pop in here and clarify a few things. We actually have two different rotor options for the front of the 991.1 S/GTS. The p/n on we website A1-122 is specific to the 991.1 and the OEM brake pads. The rotor does increase the diameter to 350mm and includes the necessary spacers and bolts to accommodate the increase in diameter for a 100% plug and play solution.

Alternatively we also offer an option to run our p/n A1-032 which has a taller swept area and allows the use of the taller GT3 brake pad shape as Sidvicious7 did with his vehicle. This opens up pad options a bit and increases the mass of the disc which provides some additional thermal capacity. The A1-032 p/n is also 350mm however it does not require spacers because the taller pads accommodate for the increase in diameter. This is exactly what Porsche did on the 991.2, that car uses the same caliper and upright as the 991.1 however it utilizes a larger 350mm rotor and the taller brake pad.

Hope that clears things up!
So, I run your rotors/hats on my turbo track car w/PFC's and love that combo, but what you describe above may be my next go-to replacement on my 991.1s if I'm hearing correct.
From your post, I could run OE 991.2s front rotors and OE 991.1 GT3 pads?
Mine is a 991.1S and that part wasn't mentioned.
Thanks for the help
Old 08-22-2021 | 10:29 PM
Rapter
Racer

Has anyone run the girodisk rotors through 1 or more winters?
how do they hold up?

I want to upgrade but am lazy to swap oem rotors back and forth Sumer/ winter.
Old 08-23-2021 | 12:19 AM
X51
Rennlist Member

I will add that I was warping OEM rotors on my GTS on long tracks due to the heat build up and then excessive cooling before hammering the brakes again for the corner at the end of a mile long straight. I purchased the Giros to eliminate that problem and so far so good. I spoke to a number of drivers who had the same issue I had and Giros cured it. So, while you can buy a couple two or three sets of OEM for the price of Giros, if you track your car these can prove to be a good purchase. I love mine and would buy them again. "Your mileage may vary..."
rchaas (08-24-2021)
Old 08-23-2021 | 03:28 AM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rapter
Has anyone run the girodisk rotors through 1 or more winters?
how do they hold up?

I want to upgrade but am lazy to swap oem rotors back and forth Sumer/ winter.
I've run them through 4 winters no problem.
They're about as easy to swap as tires just in case you were reading about tires and too lazy to reply to that, hahahha
Old 08-23-2021 | 07:26 AM
Rapter
Racer

Originally Posted by 911mhawk
I've run them through 4 winters no problem.
They're about as easy to swap as tires just in case you were reading about tires and too lazy to reply to that, hahahha
funny, tire changes are easy you are right.
‘seatless winter is different than the Canadian Toronto Ontario winter, no?
Old 08-23-2021 | 08:47 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

For anyone considering replacement discs, keep in mind that we (Essex Parts) are forum sponsors and supply AP Racing J Hook 2-piece Discs for the various iterations of the 991. Our AP Racing Discs have proven to be the longest-lasting option available, come from arguably the top brake manufacturer in the world, and cost about the same as Girodisc. As an added bonus, the J Hooks look way cooler than straight slots.

You can find all our brake options on our site. The search results in the link below are for a 991.2 T.

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...0T/Iron%20disc

You can read lots of owner reviews on our site here, including many reports from Porsche owners running our 2-piece J Hook discs:
https://www.essexparts.com/news-blog

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 08-23-2021 at 08:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake service and is Girodisc worth it?