Sponsored by:

Buying out of state - Oregon to CA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2020, 04:00 AM
Arxigos
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by stphzy
Thanks for the info! Off topic a little, but is your 991.1 full leather? I'm a little nervous about the door panel warping on the standard interior of the 991.1 I'm interested in.
Nope, not full leather. Haven't a problem with warping...🤞

I had my vin inspection done at my local chp office. Also had to do smog. All in all a good experience, especially for the amount of money you save for buying out of state...Cali prices are ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (02-29-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 11:27 AM
stphzy
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2sleep
I purchase a brand new car from out of state couple of years ago. All of the statements above are true...CA will collect the tax either way. Some dealerships collect the tax on CA's behalf or you can elect to pay on your own; it depends on the dealership, I guess. I paid my own when I visited the DMV. The county I reside in requires proof of smog check as with many other counties here in the left coast state. My car was brand new and it was still required. All in all, buying out of state is a fairly pain free process. It also makes a good excuse for a road trip.
You're right! I was going to try to not go to Beaverton because it's an 9+ hour drive each way, but... not sure if I can entirely trust CPO lol!

Originally Posted by mchrono
If you want to try something fun, try buying a car from a CA dealer as an out of state resident. Our local tax rate is 6.25%. I tried buying a 991 from a CA dealer last year. They gave me two choices: (1.) pay 9+% CA tax, or (2.) hire a "legit" transport company to take it over the state line where I could pick it up. No, they would not let my buddy be the transporter, and they did not care if I signed an affidavit stating im an out of state resident and I intend to drive it straight out of state.
That's so weird - does that mean you would have had to pay the 9% in CA on top of your local rate of 6.25%? *face palm*

Originally Posted by Sidvicious7
Don’t forget to have your vehicle smog inspected before walking into the DMV. The DMV will also need to inspect your vehicle since it’s out of state. To save time, I went online and scheduled an appointment.
Thanks for the tip! I will remember this.

Originally Posted by RTdeeOC
Live in WA. Bought my CPO 991.1 from Beaverton Porsche last year. They collected sales tax for my county, handled everything. Tabs came within two weeks. Seamless. They handle a lot of out of state transactions.
So good to hear! That gives me a little bit of relief. Were you able to visit and see the car in person before you pulled the trigger?
Old 03-02-2020, 11:39 AM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Even if you have an appointment and already got a smog test, remember to drive your car to the DMV inspection lane and have it inspected, before even getting into the building. The inspection form is needed for registration and new title
Old 03-02-2020, 12:03 PM
stphzy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by F1SML8R
I just bought mine in OKC and can confirm you only pay the selling out of state dealer the price of the car, maybe a doc. fee, nothing else. You then bring the sales contract and the title to your local CA DMV and you pay sales tax based on the sales price listed in the contract. Also, you have to do the inspection and you absolutely need a recent local smog check. A few pointers to save time, make an appointment at the DMV, and get the smog certificate before you go to the DMV. Otherwise, they can't complete it in one visit (I had to go back with the smog proof). Lastly, for those of you with AAA memberships, the DMV there cannot do out of state registrations. This is because they aren't equipped to do the necessary physical inspection. I hope that helps!
Good to know! Thank you!

Originally Posted by AlexCeres
You need a VIN inspection and a smog inspection. These can be done at certified centers. Some shops are certified to do both. I did that. They electronically transfer the results to the DMV and give you paperwork. You cannot register without paying the tax. Any competent dealership should withhold it for you properly and send it to the CA DMV. Just let them know the right county of residence.

if you’re buying from a dealership you shouldn’t have any problems

it’s not actually necessary to go to the DMV at all if you hire a private registration service, but that’s a little pricy. Ymmv. DMVs nearby didn’t have any appointments for months out and walk in around here is 3+ hours wait.
Thank you! Fingers crossed

Originally Posted by Cheshi143
I've heard if you keep the Oregon plates/registration for a year and there will be no sales tax tax when you transfer the car
Whaaaat?! Now I wish I knew someone who lived in Oregon lol!

Originally Posted by Arxigos
Nope, not full leather. Haven't a problem with warping...🤞

I had my vin inspection done at my local chp office. Also had to do smog. All in all a good experience, especially for the amount of money you save for buying out of state...Cali prices are ridiculous.
Aw man! That's great to hear! Gives me a little hope when looking for 991s. I asked the sales guy to check for warping and he said that there's slight lifting on one side but it can't be fixed under CPO. I think the issue will only get worse if I continue to own it.
Old 03-02-2020, 12:39 PM
RTdeeOC
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

So good to hear! That gives me a little bit of relief. Were you able to visit and see the car in person before you pulled the trigger?[/QUOTE]

I did get down there to see the car before I bought it. I only live a couple of hours away from the dealer..
Old 03-13-2020, 12:31 PM
jungkim1234
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Hi Stphzy,

I live ten min from Porsche Beaverton, let me know if you need another set of eyes on the car.

Jung
The following users liked this post:
stphzy (03-13-2020)
Old 03-13-2020, 02:29 PM
stphzy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jungkim1234
Hi Stphzy,

I live ten min from Porsche Beaverton, let me know if you need another set of eyes on the car.

Jung
Thank you so much for the offer! I will take you up on that offer in the future! Unfortunately the one I was eyeing was sold . They told me that they will give me a heads up for anything that comes in.

Quick Reply: Buying out of state - Oregon to CA?