Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Buying out of state - Oregon to CA? (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1183867-buying-out-of-state-oregon-to-ca.html)

stphzy 02-28-2020 05:39 PM

Buying out of state - Oregon to CA?

Hi all! :)
I'm in the market for a CPO 991.1 and I've found one I really like at the Beaverton dealership in Oregon! The problem is, I live in California and I've never purchased a vehicle out of state. I was hoping to see if anyone has had experience with buying out of state OR even experience with the Beaverton dealership? Should I just handle all the title/tax stuff myself at my local DMV (to be safe) or are they pretty good with this? Any tips you can provide about your buying experience will be appreciated. Thank you!

mchrono 02-28-2020 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by stphzy (Post 16450943)
Hi all! :)
I'm in the market for a CPO 991.1 and I've found one I really like at the Beaverton dealership in Oregon! The problem is, I live in California and I've never purchased a vehicle out of state. I was hoping to see if anyone has had experience with buying out of state OR even experience with the Beaverton dealership? Should I just handle all the title/tax stuff myself at my local DMV (to be safe) or are they pretty good with this? Any tips you can provide about your buying experience will be appreciated. Thank you!

Welcome and congrats on your first post!
CA resident? You will pay the tax one way or the other. Don't worry about that.

If the OR dealer collects the tax, show that to the CA DMV. If not, CA DMV will collect when you go to get reg & title.

Arxigos 02-28-2020 07:04 PM

super easy. I bought my 991.1 in Dallas and drove it back to the bay area. they handle everything at the dealership. I paid my cali taxes there and they sent a check to my local dmv within a week. they had it on hand when I registered my car.

MikeL31 02-28-2020 07:18 PM

i bought a car in colorado from a porsche dealer and brought it back to ca. they collected all the sales tax in the % of the county i live in. they gave me temp tags to drive the car home. the dealer will mail a check for the tax to your local dmv with other paper work. in about a month or so, you will get a letter from the dmv closest to your house telling you to come in to complete your registration by certain date. they make you get a vin verification there and then after you pay the registration fees, they will issue you your ca plates and registration. the dealer i worked with said this was the process from buying from an out of state dealer and told me that if i bought private party, then i would just pay the tax to the dmv when i register it here. either way ca dmv will get their money.

visitador 02-28-2020 07:25 PM

Looks like the requirement of the dmv requiring an inspection of your emissions tag is no longer required?

In the old days, an out of state dealer would give you temp tags from that state, and you had to bring car to dmv for inspection before paying $ for the taxes. In those days dmv would swap your out of state title with a California one

stphzy 02-28-2020 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by mchrono (Post 16450989)
Welcome and congrats on your first post!
CA resident? You will pay the tax one way or the other. Don't worry about that.

If the OR dealer collects the tax, show that to the CA DMV. If not, CA DMV will collect when you go to get reg & title.

Thank you! :D Good to know!

Originally Posted by Arxigos (Post 16451094)
super easy. I bought my 991.1 in Dallas and drove it back to the bay area. they handle everything at the dealership. I paid my cali taxes there and they sent a check to my local dmv within a week. they had it on hand when I registered my car.

Thanks for the info! Off topic a little, but is your 991.1 full leather? I'm a little nervous about the door panel warping on the standard interior of the 991.1 I'm interested in.

Originally Posted by MikeL31 (Post 16451119)
i bought a car in colorado from a porsche dealer and brought it back to ca. they collected all the sales tax in the % of the county i live in. they gave me temp tags to drive the car home. the dealer will mail a check for the tax to your local dmv with other paper work. in about a month or so, you will get a letter from the dmv closest to your house telling you to come in to complete your registration by certain date. they make you get a vin verification there and then after you pay the registration fees, they will issue you your ca plates and registration. the dealer i worked with said this was the process from buying from an out of state dealer and told me that if i bought private party, then i would just pay the tax to the dmv when i register it here. either way ca dmv will get their money.

Thank you for sharing your experience!! I'm trying to avoid any out of state horror stories :P

stphzy 02-28-2020 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by visitador (Post 16451131)
Looks like the requirement of the dmv requiring an inspection of your emissions tag is no longer required?

In the old days, an out of state dealer would give you temp tags from that state, and you had to bring car to dmv for inspection before paying $ for the taxes. In those days dmv would swap your out of state title with a California one

Really! I will look into this. I figured since it was a 2015, I would have to get it smogged soon anyhow.

luv2sleep 02-28-2020 07:51 PM

I purchase a brand new car from out of state couple of years ago. All of the statements above are true...CA will collect the tax either way. Some dealerships collect the tax on CA's behalf or you can elect to pay on your own; it depends on the dealership, I guess. I paid my own when I visited the DMV. The county I reside in requires proof of smog check as with many other counties here in the left coast state. My car was brand new and it was still required. All in all, buying out of state is a fairly pain free process. It also makes a good excuse for a road trip.:burnout:

mchrono 02-28-2020 09:13 PM

If you want to try something fun, try buying a car from a CA dealer as an out of state resident. Our local tax rate is 6.25%. I tried buying a 991 from a CA dealer last year. They gave me two choices: (1.) pay 9+% CA tax, or (2.) hire a "legit" transport company to take it over the state line where I could pick it up. No, they would not let my buddy be the transporter, and they did not care if I signed an affidavit stating im an out of state resident and I intend to drive it straight out of state.

Sidvicious7 02-28-2020 09:42 PM

Don’t forget to have your vehicle smog inspected before walking into the DMV. The DMV will also need to inspect your vehicle since it’s out of state. To save time, I went online and scheduled an appointment.

bkrantz 02-28-2020 09:59 PM

Wow, California still allows people to bring ICE vehicles into the state!

RTdeeOC 02-28-2020 10:36 PM

Live in WA. Bought my CPO 991.1 from Beaverton Porsche last year. They collected sales tax for my county, handled everything. Tabs came within two weeks. Seamless. They handle a lot of out of state transactions.

F1SML8R 02-28-2020 11:21 PM

I just bought mine in OKC and can confirm you only pay the selling out of state dealer the price of the car, maybe a doc. fee, nothing else. You then bring the sales contract and the title to your local CA DMV and you pay sales tax based on the sales price listed in the contract. Also, you have to do the inspection and you absolutely need a recent local smog check. A few pointers to save time, make an appointment at the DMV, and get the smog certificate before you go to the DMV. Otherwise, they can't complete it in one visit (I had to go back with the smog proof). Lastly, for those of you with AAA memberships, the DMV there cannot do out of state registrations. This is because they aren't equipped to do the necessary physical inspection. I hope that helps!

AlexCeres 02-29-2020 03:19 AM

You need a VIN inspection and a smog inspection. These can be done at certified centers. Some shops are certified to do both. I did that. They electronically transfer the results to the DMV and give you paperwork. You cannot register without paying the tax. Any competent dealership should withhold it for you properly and send it to the CA DMV. Just let them know the right county of residence.

if you’re buying from a dealership you shouldn’t have any problems

it’s not actually necessary to go to the DMV at all if you hire a private registration service, but that’s a little pricy. Ymmv. DMVs nearby didn’t have any appointments for months out and walk in around here is 3+ hours wait.

Cheshi143 02-29-2020 03:31 AM

I've heard if you keep the Oregon plates/registration for a year and there will be no sales tax tax when you transfer the car