Sponsored by:

Mysterious leak!

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 12:36 AM
Robert4S
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mysterious leak!

I’m a week new in the 911 world with my 2015 991 4S.
Need some help with this;
Drove the car about 110 miles car ran beautifully.
When we got to our destination I parked on a hill with the rear on the downslope.
Parked for about 20 minutes, got back in the Carrera to our next stop about 5 miles away traffic was heavy and slow through town. I noticed very light smoke from the left rear; I pulled over to investigate and noticed liquid dripping onto the left exhaust and causing the smoke. Car wasn’t overheating or running sluggish. The liquid I’m assuming was coolant (but clear, no color at all to the fluid that was leaking) and only about 1/2 cup hit the ground after stopping and never started up again.
What would cause that??
I checked the coolant cap and it wasn’t on completely (clicked when I turned clockwise) no sign of the coolant back flow around the cap area.
Any ideas with areas of concern to check?
Thanks for the advise

UPDATE:
I took the car to the dealership for inspection as to what and why on this issue, I will update the post on theatre they find and repairs if any.

Last edited by Robert4S; 02-20-2020 at 11:13 AM.
Old 02-17-2020, 02:51 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Check this forum for water pump failures. Some have described substantial sudden failures of the system, to the point of advising to have the cars flat bedded for repairs.

Do not ignore in any case..
The following users liked this post:
Robert4S (02-17-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:07 AM
BOPE
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
Check this forum for water pump failures. Some have described substantial sudden failures of the system, to the point of advising to have the cars flat bedded for repairs.

Do not ignore in any case..
I agree.
Can you look directly above the drip stains for the source?

Jason
Old 02-17-2020, 10:56 AM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 534 Posts

So after 110 miles of ownership you noticed this? Either the timing is absolutely horrible or this was an issue for the previous seller.
The coolant system is pressurized when driving. If the cap was not tight I would think you would get a display warning. Is that photo of the coolant cap just as it was when the leak happened? The cap is in the closed position. If so then it didn’t leak out the filler neck since there is not coolant on the plastic trim around the oil and coolant caps.
I would schedule service at the dealer to have this system evaluated.
Coolant pumps have been replaced by others so this would be a primary point of concern.
Old 02-17-2020, 12:49 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Your coolant overflowed a little. It dripped on the exhaust system. It happened to me when I overfilled the cooling system. The overflow drains via a small hole at the base of the filler neck and is not visible if the cap is on. See photo. Overflow probably happened because the cap was loose or your system was slightly overfilled. Most likely it was just the loose cap. Check the coolant level with the engine cold to make sure your indicator ball is still between Max and Min.

Old 02-17-2020, 08:02 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, happened to me too. Coolant over flow.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:59 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 456 Likes on 308 Posts

This is probably NOT the feared water pump problem. This issue generally affects 991.2 turbo cars manufactured during 2017.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:30 PM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
This is probably NOT the feared water pump problem. This issue generally affects 991.2 turbo cars manufactured during 2017.
There's a post of a 992 water pump crapping out at 100 miles.

Right after the drive home from dealer delivery.
Old 02-18-2020, 11:57 AM
Robert4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by BOPE
I agree.
Can you look directly above the drip stains for the source?

Jason
I don’t have a lift to get under the car that well but this picture is a close as I can get to the source without a lift

Last edited by Robert4S; 02-18-2020 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:00 PM
Robert4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by Southbranch
Your coolant overflowed a little. It dripped on the exhaust system. It happened to me when I overfilled the cooling system. The overflow drains via a small hole at the base of the filler neck and is not visible if the cap is on. See photo. Overflow probably happened because the cap was loose or your system was slightly overfilled. Most likely it was just the loose cap. Check the coolant level with the engine cold to make sure your indicator ball is still between Max and Min.

checked the coolant levels and it’s still at max level
Old 02-18-2020, 12:05 PM
Robert4S
AutoX

Originally Posted by Jack F
So after 110 miles of ownership you noticed this? Either the timing is absolutely horrible or this was an issue for the previous seller.
The coolant system is pressurized when driving. If the cap was not tight I would think you would get a display warning. Is that photo of the coolant cap just as it was when the leak happened? The cap is in the closed position. If so then it didn’t leak out the filler neck since there is not coolant on the plastic trim around the oil and coolant caps.
I would schedule service at the dealer to have this system evaluated.
Coolant pumps have been replaced by others so this would be a primary point of concern.
The picture I posted was “after” I tightened it to the “click”, It was at about the 2:00 position before I tightened it.
no display warnings at all - temp was running at 194 which is normal I believe.
The picture is also to show no fluid marks around the coolant lid was noticed.
I did have a thorough PPI inspection performed before I purchased the car with a 99.9 only a couple cosmetic issues were found and that the five year service needed to be performed which I had that performed prior to purchase

my concern is the coolant fluid color is reddish brown;
the fluid I observed leaking was as clear as water only a little tacky after it dried on my fingers.
Old 02-19-2020, 01:53 PM
Southbranch
Pro

Received 227 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert4S
The picture I posted was “after” I tightened it to the “click”, It was at about the 2:00 position before I tightened it.
no display warnings at all - temp was running at 194 which is normal I believe.
The picture is also to show no fluid marks around the coolant lid was noticed.
I did have a thorough PPI inspection performed before I purchased the car with a 99.9 only a couple cosmetic issues were found and that the five year service needed to be performed which I had that performed prior to purchase

my concern is the coolant fluid color is reddish brown;
the fluid I observed leaking was as clear as water only a little tacky after it dried on my fingers.
The list of "clear" fluids includes gasoline, brake fluid, hydraulic fluid and windshield washer fluid, depending on how your car is equipped. Does it have a rear wiper or PDCC?

Quick Reply: Mysterious leak!