Sponsored by:

Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 01:29 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I agree. You are a finance guy, not a car guy, so stick with what you are doing now and get a poster for your bedroom wall.
Just went with a Guards Red 2017 Carrera S manual instead, 7k miles from Merit Partners out of Georgia. Got a great price and the right car.

The following 2 users liked this post by tthebert908:
Chillywon (02-18-2020), I am the Walrus (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 01:35 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Nice looking car, and it appears to be lowered, and much better than a poster!
Old 02-17-2020, 01:37 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tthebert908
Just went with a Guards Red 2017 Carrera S manual instead, 7k miles from Merit Partners out of Georgia. Got a great price and the right car.

Looks great! I’d keep it for a few years and store when you’re not using. That will be most cost-effective.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:19 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,315 Likes on 611 Posts

Front 3/4 shot is on fire—what a great looking 991.2. Love the color, and the spec. Two quick thoughts: 1) It's seriously low, which looks cool but the car will handle better if you raise it even 0.5 to 1.0 inch—which may be easy depending on how it was lowered, and 2) I wonder if you could find a way to "timeshare" it with another 911 enthusiast living in Florida or similar (just thinking out loud).

Enjoy the ride ahead...these remain highly underrated 911s imo.
The following users liked this post:
Sajan (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 10:01 PM
CarreraJimmy
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

That car looks phenomenal. Do you have a filter on that camera? Congrats. I hope it stays pristine in New York. Check out the AmmoNYC guy for tips on that; he's got a great YouTube channel. Hope you get it up to Lime Rock some time.
Old 02-17-2020, 10:18 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Do you really think you will be able to bring yourself to sell that car in 7 months? I think you'll be posting about how they'll have to pry your cold dead hands off the wheel. Congrats and happy motoring.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by stout
Front 3/4 shot is on fire—what a great looking 991.2. Love the color, and the spec. Two quick thoughts: 1) It's seriously low, which looks cool but the car will handle better if you raise it even 0.5 to 1.0 inch—which may be easy depending on how it was lowered, and 2) I wonder if you could find a way to "timeshare" it with another 911 enthusiast living in Florida or similar (just thinking out loud).

Enjoy the ride ahead...these remain highly underrated 911s imo.
100% agree - it’s on H&R springs, it’s the only mod. They are raising it back up to factory height and sending me factory springs.

Timesharing is smart. I love the idea with a reliable partner. There is Toro. I’ve run the math and the mileage impact, etc. It’s definitely positive even after depreciation due to mileage. Other variables to consider, but it’s definitely an option.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:16 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Do you really think you will be able to bring yourself to sell that car in 7 months? I think you'll be posting about how they'll have to pry your cold dead hands off the wheel. Congrats and happy motoring.
Lmao - great comment and again, I’m taking words from the wiser!
Old 02-18-2020, 12:19 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by CarreraJimmy
That car looks phenomenal. Do you have a filter on that camera? Congrats. I hope it stays pristine in New York. Check out the AmmoNYC guy for tips on that; he's got a great YouTube channel. Hope you get it up to Lime Rock some time.
100% will check that out, need all the help I can get.

Would have no problem heading out to Lime Rock - I absolutely love CT for all it’s glory and non-glory. Used to ride the Merritt Parkway with the S5, so maybe there’s a nice run in late spring lining up...
Old 02-19-2020, 06:33 AM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

100% agree - it’s on H&R springs, it’s the only mod. They are raising it back up to factory height and sending me factory springs.

Timesharing is smart. I love the idea with a reliable partner. There is Toro. I’ve run the math and the mileage impact, etc. It’s definitely positive even after depreciation due to mileage. Other variables to consider, but it’s definitely an option.
looks really low (and awesome) for h&r springs! I have h&r’s adjusted to the lowest perch and they are not that low. You sure you don’t have the h&r vtf coil overs? If you find out you do you should have the dealer send you those parts and sell them here. You should be able to get a decent penny for them as they are over $800 new I believe.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:33 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by polobai
looks really low (and awesome) for h&r springs! I have h&r’s adjusted to the lowest perch and they are not that low. You sure you don’t have the h&r vtf coil overs? If you find out you do you should have the dealer send you those parts and sell them here. You should be able to get a decent penny for them as they are over $800 new I believe.
Pretty sure they’re just the springs, but am double checking. I’d ideally like to keep it stock, so would love to sell them. Problem is I was told it was 5 hours of labor to swap it back to stock, so figured I’d just adjust to stock height and call it a day vs dropping $1k on labor.
Old 02-19-2020, 10:35 AM
Franz Hayek
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Interesting thread.Your new S is a beautiful car. I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it over the next 6-7 months.

Please report back in October after selling the car. I bet most here would like to know how the story ends.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!
FH

Old 02-19-2020, 10:38 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by Franz Hayek
Interesting thread.Your new S is a beautiful car. I hope you get lots of enjoyment from it over the next 6-7 months.

Please report back in October after selling the car. I bet most here would like to know how the story ends.

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!
FH
I will report back. I appreciate everyone’s input and information, without it I’d probably be settling for one or the other original cars here that I posted. Sure, would not be unhappy so to speak, but one was always a “what if” I got the S or GTS, and the other was damn I got this GTS but I’m paying a stupid amount for it. Happy medium is where it’s at!

I will also post a video of when it comes off the closed container in March. Probably no one will care to watch it but seeing my reaction might enable some vicarious enjoyment.
The following users liked this post:
sr5959 (02-19-2020)
Old 02-19-2020, 03:08 PM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Another idea is to see if you can find someone who lives in a state that rarely receives snow (like North Carolina, for instance) and would be willing to store it for you in the winter months, and take it out maybe once every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged and the oil warm.

Yes, I'm offering, you know, since you got the proper transmission and everything. Good choice! Congrats.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:31 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by MJBird993
Another idea is to see if you can find someone who lives in a state that rarely receives snow (like North Carolina, for instance) and would be willing to store it for you in the winter months, and take it out maybe once every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged and the oil warm.

Yes, I'm offering, you know, since you got the proper transmission and everything. Good choice! Congrats.
Haha! I love it.

Quick Reply: Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time