Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:35 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time

Hi guys,

First time Porsche buyer here! REALLY appreciate the advice or general opinions, biggest purchase I’ve made personally and looking forward to becoming part of the community.

I’m making moves on a purchase here after having no car for the last two years. I live in NYC, but this upcoming season do not want to rent cars every week for golfing, weekend trips with the wife to Hamptons or CT/Rhode Island, etc.

Below are the two that I’m contemplating:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F202895669373

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Porsch...-/402087225440

In summary, 2017 carrera base, white ext/red int, 7k miles for $79.5k. Or, 2018 GTS, guard red and black wheels 15k miles for $103k (auction doesn’t have that but their website does).

I have to ship them closed container either way, so that’s $1k.

I like both of them a lot but the guard red GTS is obviously ridiculously awesome IMO.

I’m a finance guy so of course have the spreadsheet with all costs.

Both are under factory warranty, obviously GTS has an extra year.

Bottom line difference is cost of ownership through October (7 months), when I’d like to sell the car, is $4,200.
GTS: $19.5k, ($8600 tax, $6k depreciation assuming $95k sale and $101k purchase, $1600 parking, $1400 insurance)
Carrera: $15.3k ($6800 tax, $5,500 depreciation assuming $80.5k purchase incl. shipping and $75k sale, $1600 parking, $1400 insurance).

KEY question also, is how fast can I sell the car and are my depreciation numbers in line for a 1 month sale? I’d only be putting 5-7k miles on it driving it once or twice a week max. I used KBB with additional miles and a year to factor in what it could look like in 7 months.

I.e. Does a GTS move quicker, or would the carrera? I’m a little skeptical that I can move a car for $95k, even if it is a GTS spec’d out beautifully with 20k miles. Just fewer buyers out there right? I honestly don’t know. I moved my Audi S5 pretty quick, but at the $30k price range you have such a huge addressable market.

Ive read other topics on this as well, but nothing definitive. The dealer thinks I’ll be with everyone else trying to sell in October, and prices will plummet due to oversupply on the market. I can always store it at my buddies garage for the winter in CT to avoid my $250/month parking, but not sure how much seasonal buying patterns are a factor.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:58 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,610 Posts

If you are that concerned about resale you shouldn't buy either of these. The depreciation rate is still high and resale price will be high and therefore limiting. Buy a 911 a couple of years older, in the $60k range
The following users liked this post:
Rich_Jenkins (02-15-2020)
Old 02-15-2020, 01:19 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

I’m not interested in older model that is out of warranty, and the older nav system etc. is extremely dated.

My alternative was a Range Rover sport, 2017ish.

But if it’s going to depreciate more than I thought, then it definitely becomes too expensive. Not that I can’t afford it, but could just not get the car and save $3k/month.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM
polobai
Drifting

Received 1,125 Likes on 670 Posts

Neither are a good buy considering you will sell in October. Why not look into taking over someone’s lease that is almost up?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:23 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

I hear you on the dilemma and I am sort of in a similar boat.

If depreciation is as big of a concern to you, go for the base car. The delta between what you buy it for today vs. what you will sell it for later will be less than the cost for the GTS and it's depreciation. Although GTS's typically hold value well, the 991.2 (maybe because similar turbo engine to non-GTS models) seems to be bucking the trend and depreciating faster than prior editions.

If you are really concerned about depreciation, look elsewhere. In that price range, maybe a 997.2 GT3 or a 997.2 Turbo S if you don't want a manual or maybe a GT4?

Good luck, I've been pulling my hair out overanalyzing stuff like this for months... paralysis by analysis. Just remember, it's hard to go wrong and you'll probably like any car you decide on, they are all incredible.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:37 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by polobai
Neither are a good buy considering you will sell in October. Why not look into taking over someone’s lease that is almost up?
I actually looked at this - I couldn't find anything that excited me in my area, but more importantly, the total cost was the same if not more. A lot of $1,750-$1,800/month and nothing expiring in the next 7-10 months. So if you assume I have to hold for 12 months on the lease, looking at $21-$22k in lease expense, vs. total ownership costs outlined in OP. But, a smart idea, particularly if I could've found a great car expiring in 7 months! Assuming everyone else has the same mindset; already in the lease, so why not hold through the summer? Unless special situation, like divorce or financial distress.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:42 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I hear you on the dilemma and I am sort of in a similar boat.

If depreciation is as big of a concern to you, go for the base car. The delta between what you buy it for today vs. what you will sell it for later will be less than the cost for the GTS and it's depreciation. Although GTS's typically hold value well, the 991.2 (maybe because similar turbo engine to non-GTS models) seems to be bucking the trend and depreciating faster than prior editions.

If you are really concerned about depreciation, look elsewhere. In that price range, maybe a 997.2 GT3 or a 997.2 Turbo S if you don't want a manual or maybe a GT4?

Good luck, I've been pulling my hair out overanalyzing stuff like this for months... paralysis by analysis. Just remember, it's hard to go wrong and you'll probably like any car you decide on, they are all incredible.
Ha! I feel you on this. I did read a prior post about how except in pretty rare cases, it's never a smart financial decision. More of the intangible benefits. I'm a car guy, always have been, so if I'm gonna be dropping $6-$7k over the summer on rental cars every week, I mine as well get a car like this. $150/day+ insurance & tax on a Toyota Rav 4, or a 991.2 carrera? Hmmmmmmm
Old 02-15-2020, 01:47 PM
shammerman
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by polobai
You may want to keep an eye on this site for people looking to get out of their lease. https://www.swapalease.com/lease/Por...11/search.aspx
Old 02-15-2020, 01:52 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Wouldn’t it be most cost effective for you to buy either of the cars you mentioned, keep for a few years, and just pay for the storage in the months you don’t need a car?
Old 02-15-2020, 01:53 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by shammerman
You may want to keep an eye on this site for people looking to get out of their lease. https://www.swapalease.com/lease/Por...11/search.aspx
Polobai mentioned the same thing - here's an example:
https://www.swapalease.com/lease/det...?salid=1408756

This would be good, but it has 27 months remaining. I mean, assuming I could again try and get someone else to take over the lease, but that has it's own risks. I.e. need to offer cash incentive, etc. And this is $2,100+/month. When factoring in the parking and insurance, this is actually more than my total monthly costs above through October.

I guess what I'm most concerned is how liquid these are. Can I offload a GTS with 20k miles, nice spec's, in say a month at $92k? Or do I need to go super low to get rid of it, let's say $85k, which is lower than a lot of 2016 carrera S models out there.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:55 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by sr5959
Wouldn’t it be most cost effective for you to buy either of the cars you mentioned, keep for a few years, and just pay for the storage in the months you don’t need a car?
Think you're entirely correct, from a monthly perspective. I'm looking at an absolute $ perspective; which may be the wrong way to look at it. The issue though also for holding longer, is that it will continue to depreciate so I still incur that expense when not driving it, albeit a little less. And then of course, the longer I hold the less of a factory warranty there is on the car, which will take it even further down.

On that note; how important is a factory warranty to buyers? I mean, I know these are not going to have a ton of issues with 20k miles on them out of warranty, but still.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:17 PM
sr5959
Burning Brakes

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by tthebert908
Think you're entirely correct, from a monthly perspective. I'm looking at an absolute $ perspective; which may be the wrong way to look at it. The issue though also for holding longer, is that it will continue to depreciate so I still incur that expense when not driving it, albeit a little less. And then of course, the longer I hold the less of a factory warranty there is on the car, which will take it even further down.

On that note; how important is a factory warranty to buyers? I mean, I know these are not going to have a ton of issues with 20k miles on them out of warranty, but still.
I think these cars depreciate more based on mileage than age, and even taking that into account it will be a lot less than the hit you’ll take trading in the car, then re-buying next season at retail price. I personally wouldn’t run without warranty, but if the car is low mileage aftermarket warranties like Fidelity are not that much.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:34 PM
Catharpin
Burning Brakes

Received 562 Likes on 299 Posts

Why the hell do they only show one side of the Carrera?
Old 02-15-2020, 02:39 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 765 Likes on 544 Posts

Base vs GTS. Well, do you like more torque and power? Some do and some don’t need it but do like it.

I would recommend driving the base only. If you like it then go with it. I think if you drive the GTS the base might just seem blah.

I was going to order a base and would likely have been super happy with it. I live at 6000ft and the 3L TT is absolutely stellar. It’s stellar at sea level. Then things evolved and the GTS was the one for me.
Old 02-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by tthebert908
I’m not interested in older model that is out of warranty, and the older nav system etc. is extremely dated.

My alternative was a Range Rover sport, 2017ish.

But if it’s going to depreciate more than I thought, then it definitely becomes too expensive. Not that I can’t afford it, but could just not get the car and save $3k/month.
You should consider a 2016 or even a 2015 with a factory extended Porsche CPO warranty. The nav and tech on those cars is not extremely dated. Initial purchase cost is much lower and resale will be much easier/faster.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carlo_Carrera:
PatrickBateman (01-26-2022), sr5959 (02-15-2020)

Quick Reply: Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time