Sponsored by:

Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 06:45 PM
ShaunP
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
It does not void the warranty. The cars aren't "beaten up", they are driven vigorously day in and day out, but they are also meticulously maintained by Porsche USA.

I am just curious how ShaunP knows it is a PSDS car?
I’ve posted this on a few threads but an easy way to tell is a combination one or a of the following items:

On the Carfax:
First offered for sale with substantial (4-5k ++) mileage.
First service is Birmingham, AL (for PSDS cars usually at a Lexus dealership for some reason)
First sale is an auction in GA or CA

There are multiple cars for sale at the same time with the same EXACT same spec.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:07 PM
tthebert908
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I’ll chat with the dealer regarding the history. They may not tell me, but let’s see.
Old 02-16-2020, 05:59 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 555 Likes on 335 Posts

I've posted a number of times on the Barber PTX cars, you can look back at my posts. Been there twice and will be back in May.

These cars are maintained but also driven on a race track by drivers of varying skill levels and redlined, day in and day out, heat, cold, rain or dry, hard on the brakes, clipping curbs and eating rubber tire chunks. These are not race prepped, they are stock. That they do so well is a testament to Porsche.

One of the cars I drove in November, a GTS, had over 10k miles, that's all race track miles, think about it.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:31 AM
SBARacing
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I went to see they GR GTS at HRG in FL. Great car build but it was a Porsche Experience Center car. The sales guy tried to hide it saying it isn’t, but that car had Porsche Experience Center written all over it. Front bumper dings (not through the paint, but very visible) that are visible to the naked eye after they removed the PPF front cover. Black plastic front bumper parts full of these ding’s as well. Head lights and fog lights as well. Inside the car is in relative good shape, but you can see the many in/outs and the fact it wasn’t a single driver car.

now, there may be nothing working with a car that has been Porsche Experience Center, and it may be a car you want, but just wanted to share my 2 cents on it.
i decided to pass on that car since I thought it wasn’t the car for me for the price they were asking.

I heard the sales manager telling one of the other guys there they must replace the front bumper, so be aware it may have been replaced.

Good luck with your search!
Old 02-16-2020, 08:37 AM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Sorry for the silly question but why would you want to buy an expensive sports car and sell it in 7 months at all? Does not make any sense financially. It's not worth keeping and storing through the winter?
You will lose more money keeping it for that short a time. The scenario does not make sense to me.

Last edited by Penn4S; 02-16-2020 at 11:20 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:36 AM
JSETarga
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 104 Posts

Also need to factor in possible accidental damage like dings, wheels, tires, or worse collisions. These cars are super expensive for repairs so one incident will be super costly. GTS centerlock wheel cost $3k just for 1! I think I would go with a cheaper car personally! Lots of fun sports cars out there that cost way less.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:24 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by JSETarga
Also need to factor in possible accidental damage like dings, wheels, tires, or worse collisions. These cars are super expensive for repairs so one incident will be super costly. GTS centerlock wheel cost $3k just for 1! I think I would go with a cheaper car personally! Lots of fun sports cars out there that cost way less.
On collisions, my insurance has a $500 deductible. Sure I could factor in an increase in insurance and depreciation hit after an accident, but think that’s consistent across other cars.

Had initially read your comment as saying the wheel lock was $3k lol! Rough night last night.

Yeah, I mean the wheels are a consideration for sure. My M3 also had a set of wheels that were $5k total, it’s not a fun feeling every time you have to drive off the beaten path or hit a pot hole. Unfortunately being in NYC, think you might be right on this one. Undoubtedly I’ll have to replace one of those wheels on the GTS.

Last edited by tthebert908; 02-16-2020 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:22 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Sorry for the silly question but why would you want to buy an expensive sports car and sell it in 7 months at all? Does not make any sense financially. It's not worth keeping and storing through the winter.
You will lose more money keeping it for that short a time. The scenario does not make sense to me.
Well, to start I need a car IF I don’t want to have to spend 2-4 times a week at Enterprise rental car shop through September.

But, from my perspective, it’s $15.4k total hit to my net worth now through the summer season / warm months for the carrera. Factors in all expenses including estimated depreciation, which after discussing here might be a bit low.

If I store it and pay $150/month storage and the $100 insurance to cover comprehensive which it still needs, plus additional depreciation due to aging model of let’s say $2-$3k from November - April, it costs an additional $4,500 just to hold it. Total net worth hit is now $20k and I’m not even driving it. So I’m looking absolute dollars. Sure on a monthly basis it’s lower in that case.

The only thing that’s “expensive” so to speak to me on this car, given it is under warranty, is the sales tax and the parking expense. I pay both, albeit a bit less, with a car that has a lower sticker. I’ve done the math with a $60k car, say a Land Rover still under warranty, and the total expense is $14k. So to me it’s less about the initial price and more the total cost of ownership.

Someone made the case though that depreciation is not significant if it’s not being driven due to miles being the driving factor of depreciation (no pun intended). If that’s the case; might make sense to store it through the winter.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:30 AM
tthebert908
Advanced

Originally Posted by spiderv6
Agree that your cost of ownership will be higher than you state. When you have your fire sale in October you are selling the car at wholesale.....so up those numbers.

Did you look into the Porsche rental program they announced recently? Is that an option?
After researching, Porsche passport is only available in Atlanta, GA; Las Vegas, NV; Phoenix, AZ; San Diego, CA; and Toronto, ON.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:35 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

It seems to me you're making this overly complicated. If I understand correctly you:
#1. Need a car for a short period of time
#2. Are prepared to lose $15k
#3. Don't want to lose more on the car via storage over winter when not driving it
#4. Like math

Buy a $15k car outright, depreciation will be lower, maintaining it will be lower, the worry will be lower. Store the thing (hey, it's paid for right? Drop the insurance), drive the crap out of it when needed and sell it after a couple years for a Pcar you plan to keep and love for longer than just a few months. Just my 02
The following 5 users liked this post by SConn:
m5biemer (02-17-2020), PatrickBateman (01-26-2022), polobai (02-16-2020), Rich_Jenkins (02-16-2020), Sajan (02-18-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 12:37 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Here is my 2 cents. Stick to 2017 or newer. 991.2 is more desirable than 991.1. Keep whatever car you buy and store it. Find one that has CPO or buy a Fidelity warranty. Most of the depreciation you incur will be due to the miles you put on it during your summer use. It won't depreciate much being stored. A Porsche is not a fast selling car, unless it's a very unusual combination and the price is right. The S model is probably the easiest to sell. Porsche buyers are incredibly picky. You don't want to have to deal with them every year. I don't know what the sales tax is in NY, but paying sales tax every year would far exceed depreciation and storage costs.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:57 PM
dmk2
Three Wheelin'

Received 763 Likes on 378 Posts

Perhaps my prospective experience will be of some help.

My cherry 2018 GTS has been listed for two weeks:

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1180332

The discussion following the listing may be useful.

Last edited by dmk2; 02-16-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:04 PM
Mojo.K
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not rent one from Hertz or Sixt? You should be able to do it within that budget and possibly even lower.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:10 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 759 Posts

Originally Posted by tthebert908
Well, to start I need a car IF I don’t want to have to spend 2-4 times a week at Enterprise rental car shop through September.

But, from my perspective, it’s $15.4k total hit to my net worth now through the summer season / warm months for the carrera. Factors in all expenses including estimated depreciation, which after discussing here might be a bit low.

If I store it and pay $150/month storage and the $100 insurance to cover comprehensive which it still needs, plus additional depreciation due to aging model of let’s say $2-$3k from November - April, it costs an additional $4,500 just to hold it. Total net worth hit is now $20k and I’m not even driving it. So I’m looking absolute dollars. Sure on a monthly basis it’s lower in that case.

The only thing that’s “expensive” so to speak to me on this car, given it is under warranty, is the sales tax and the parking expense. I pay both, albeit a bit less, with a car that has a lower sticker. I’ve done the math with a $60k car, say a Land Rover still under warranty, and the total expense is $14k. So to me it’s less about the initial price and more the total cost of ownership.

Someone made the case though that depreciation is not significant if it’s not being driven due to miles being the driving factor of depreciation (no pun intended). If that’s the case; might make sense to store it through the winter.
Sorry still doesn't compute, buying and owning a 911 for 7 months. Breaking even on a sale will not be the easiest assuming NY streets and drivers don't impact the ownership and value during that short period of time.
You will need a car in the winter too, won't you? Why not lease or buy a Macan
Old 02-16-2020, 11:39 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,458 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Penn4S
Sorry still doesn't compute, buying and owning a 911 for 7 months. Breaking even on a sale will not be the easiest assuming NY streets and drivers don't impact the ownership and value during that short period of time.
You will need a car in the winter too, won't you? Why not lease or buy a Macan
I agree. You are a finance guy, not a car guy, so stick with what you are doing now and get a poster for your bedroom wall.

Quick Reply: Really Appreciate Help: GTS vs. Base Carrera & Resale Time