Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wheel hop.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 02:38 PM
SeeForce
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

i need to a make a video but if i hold my phone in my hand and floor it in first, it will look like im having some sort of seizure and probably induce some of you to seize as well.

i should detune and try again just to see if "stock" would do the same.
Old 01-29-2020, 04:54 PM
Penn4S
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 750 Posts

When you say comfort pressures are you at or close to 31 front and 34 rear? Surprised to hear you are getting wheel hop. Car should plant and go.
Old 01-29-2020, 05:49 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
it may indeed be the traction control, however
If the car had lsd then the traction control would not be doing the fuel cut so the actual issue is the lack of lsd.

Maybe. Here is a question for c4 guys. Can you just floor it going into a 90 degree from a stop in a c4 991.2?

I could in a base 991 and bet you could in a c4 991.2.
No way now in my 991.2 and that is on ps4s in the summer heat. C4 base 991.2 has got to be the bomb. I would consider trading in my base for a cpo version of that but with zero issues on my current car I just can't do it. Most dependable car I've ever had. Today
991.2 4 GTS will turn 90 from stop with heavy gas without issue.
Old 01-31-2020, 09:53 AM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack F
991.2 4 GTS will turn 90 from stop with heavy gas without issue.
thanks for the response, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I miss that and in my opinion this inability is the most crippling and rarely talked about flaw or the base. I attempted to order a c4 and the salesman just mumbled something about allotments and walked away. Great for you c4 and other 4 drivers that can just mash the pedal and not worry about the car going into spasms and or the ability to chip and get better utility. I came from 200k of driving a chipped quattro and now I have to think more driving this car. Which is ok if you are into that sort of thing. Ok, now I know.
Old 01-31-2020, 05:26 PM
Jack F
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 743 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by TimboCarrera
thanks for the response, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I miss that and in my opinion this inability is the most crippling and rarely talked about flaw or the base. I attempted to order a c4 and the salesman just mumbled something about allotments and walked away. Great for you c4 and other 4 drivers that can just mash the pedal and not worry about the car going into spasms and or the ability to chip and get better utility. I came from 200k of driving a chipped quattro and now I have to think more driving this car. Which is ok if you are into that sort of thing. Ok, now I know.
I initially would have ordered a C4 but the local dealer said that there were extremely few allocations. What I didn’t know is if you contact the correct dealer the allocation thing is. To an issue. Good dealers can get what they want. I am super happy with the C4 GTS in the end.
Old 01-31-2020, 06:34 PM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 285 Posts

It's likely that a flashed car without a limited slip is not ideal. The 3.0 tunes seem to bump the power quite a bit. If you add a PDK and maybe the tendency to get a little harder into the throttle from a stop that's likely the combo causing it. I had a base 991.2 also without a LSD, and it would hop on hills from a stop if I got on it hard. But not unless aggressively launching it. Never through multiple gears, but it was a manual and I never really launch hard because all 911's don't feel like they love to be launched. At least to me. All that said, if you gradually squeeze throttle and the thing is still hoping something might be wrong.
Old 01-31-2020, 08:19 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,015 Posts

You are getting wheel hop because your tires are intermittently losing and gaining traction. This is likely due to lower temperatures.

Don't allow wheel hop. It's unnecessary vibration.

Get winter wheels, or lay off the gas.
Old 01-31-2020, 10:04 PM
DOUGLAP1
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SeeForce
So my C2 base PDK has a serious case of the wheel hops under acceleration. As soon as torque hits either just nailing it or launch control, it hops all the way through first gear and most of the way through second.

Its very annoying. Why?
Traditionally, wheel hop is a sign of bad engine mounts or bad transmission mounts. Not sure if yours has the "dynamic" mounts or not, but you may want to check into that.

There are multiple aftermarket sources of semi-solid mounts for both the engine and transmission. If you go that route, don't go too crazy with replacing them all with solid mounts, as the vibration can trigger the sensors that prevent engine detonation, resulting in timing retardation, which obviously cuts back power.

Good luck.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:21 AM
BSO
Three Wheelin'

Received 554 Likes on 335 Posts

I ran into the same allocation issue when I was looking to buy my 911, a base C4 would have been fine for me and I found a dealer that initially stated that they could switch a C4S allocation to a C4.

The C4 order wasn't accepted by the German order side (so they told me, the way things are, hard to accept statements at face value). Salesman apologized and offered a further discount and ended up with a C4S.

I happened to look at sales figures by model and trim for 911s, I believe they were for 2018, and the number of C4 models was just a few hundred cars for all of the US. So I can see that they could be scarce.

Also, the profit margin for a higher trim is greater so they want their money.

As to the traction off the line for my C4S, I won't slip the clutch but as soon as the pedal is fully out, I can go WOT without any drama, the front end lifts up, no wheel spin/hop and off you go. Great feeling!!
Old 02-01-2020, 09:57 AM
TimboCarrera
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by BSO
I ran into the same allocation issue when I was looking to buy my 911, a base C4 would have been fine for me and I found a dealer that initially stated that they could switch a C4S allocation to a C4.

The C4 order wasn't accepted by the German order side (so they told me, the way things are, hard to accept statements at face value). Salesman apologized and offered a further discount and ended up with a C4S.

I happened to look at sales figures by model and trim for 911s, I believe they were for 2018, and the number of C4 models was just a few hundred cars for all of the US. So I can see that they could be scarce.

Also, the profit margin for a higher trim is greater so they want their money.

As to the traction off the line for my C4S, I won't slip the clutch but as soon as the pedal is fully out, I can go WOT without any drama, the front end lifts up, no wheel spin/hop and off you go. Great feeling!!
sweet

Quick Reply: wheel hop.