Sponsored by:

2012 991 C2S - Has Back up camera in bumper but does not appear to work

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 10:49 AM
64chevelle383
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 991 C2S - Has Back up camera in bumper but does not appear to work

I recently purchased a a 2012 C2S. After buying it I noticed that there is a factory type rear camera right above the licence plate. When I put the car into reverse in all other cars I have which have back up cameras, the displayed will show what is displayed on the camera.

On this car nothing happens to the screen in centre console.

I was wondering if there is a setting you have to enable to get the rear camera to turn on? Or if it is possible that they installed the camera lens on these cars at manufacture but did not install the remaining hardware/software to enable them to operate?

I suppose a 3rd option is that this rear bumper was replaced as some time with a one that had a camera installed.

Has anyone come across this before with a 991.1 C2S?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 11:02 AM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

2012 911 did not come with a backup camera. Perhaps the prior owner installed an aftermarket camera which either was never installed and programmed correctly or is now malfunctioning.
Old 02-01-2020, 02:29 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

If your car is a manual transmission, verify that your reverse lights are functional. If the reverse lights don't come on, it's a big issue unfortunately, one that a few of us, myself included, have experienced first hand.
Old 02-01-2020, 10:17 AM
Jnizbt
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The possible good news is that there is indeed a rear view camera installed with wiring that presumably goes to the PCM or an aftermarket unit near the PCM. There are, for example, aftermarket units that add CarPlay to the 991.1 with capability to also add a rear view camera, so the previous owner may have taken that interface with them or it is simply malfunctioning. My guess is that someplace around or behind the PCM is something aftermarket that will lead you to more information to troubleshoot. There is great content on this forum and YouTube for PCM removal and also for CarPlay and/or RV camera installation that will show you how to go about that so you can investigate further. And as Koala mentioned, good to verify back up lights as well, which presumable are functioning.

This is helpful for background as well, and to sort out what to look for.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...ml#post4202821

Quick Reply: 2012 991 C2S - Has Back up camera in bumper but does not appear to work