Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Start Stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 06:13 AM
Robuk
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The small warning triangle is there for life and you cannot remove it from the display. To me it is annoying and will ultimately burn in the screen.
It`s the size of a pinhead and it can`t burn in, the fix is free and it works.

I have no idea about smart charging,
Do a voltage check while driving car, if car has smart charge voltage will vary between about 12.5 volts (no charge) up to about 16 volts regeneration charge. Under engine power the alternator wont charge battery beyond 75/80%, that`s why on short journeys with little regeneration the starter battery can remain undercharged for long periods, this shortens the battery`s life. I disconnected it, that`s why my 8 year old battery is still OK.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:42 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Msgm1
Does anyone use this feature either in the city on on the highway or both?

If so do your think it puts additional stresses on the battery and starter motor vs the tiny amount of gas you will save?
Nope - Never and Yes For Sure!!!
Mine goes into individual mode as fast as I can switch it after a start.
Old 02-02-2020, 01:50 PM
Wolpertinger
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't mind it in my F150, but it stays permanently off in my 991.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:03 AM
achtung6
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by DHL
Hate it. Always switched off when I remember (or when the car shuts down the first time). No way it does not wear batteries and starter motors. On short trips there is no way the current drain from repeated starts will be replenished by the charging system, hence it will kill the battery. Am planning on installing the memory module from design9 so I don't have to disable this every time I start the car. Sad compromise by Porsche to the EPA Gods and the Nanny State.
Good call on the T-Design module to bypass *** (so properly named) on the 991.2 I have it installed for over a year now and love it. On an internal combustion engine car without an electric motor, the system is a crappy compromise to appease the EPA which in my opinion, is dangerous. I proved it to myself by stopping the car with *** activated and I simulated a situation where I needed the car to accelerate quickly as I was being rear ended. Try this and see what happens. It's scary to see the car stumble in an emergency situation which anyone could find themselves in, especially in a the days of more and more distracted drivers. EV's don't have this problem as the electric motor is always ready to go. Hybrids don't either as they have an electric motor to get them going. Internal combustion cars are a different story. You could find yourself in a situation where you need a brisk getaway....but the engine is not running when you need it. Crazy.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:56 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 268 Posts

I don’t understand this thread at all. Why anyone would buy a 911 and drive it in anything other than Sport mode is a mystery to me. And as everyone knows, when in Sport mode, *** is disabled.

Now standing by for the inevitable replies, “I don’t drive in Sport mode because...”

DaveGee
The following 3 users liked this post by DaveGee:
AlexCeres (05-03-2020), GT3FZS (02-04-2020), rockrdude (02-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:00 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I don’t understand this thread at all. Why anyone would buy a 911 and drive it in anything other than Sport mode is a mystery to me. And as everyone knows, when in Sport mode, *** is disabled.

Now standing by for the inevitable replies, “I don’t drive in Sport mode because...”

DaveGee
yep I turn it on right away as soon as I start it. plus you can just turn the exhaust off if you need quiet.
Old 02-03-2020, 11:11 AM
Jay-S
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 50 Posts

DaveGee
I don't understand most threads on Rennlist and the ones I like die quick deaths.
The following users liked this post:
AlexCeres (05-03-2020)
Old 02-03-2020, 11:40 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

DaveGee
I don't drive in Sport Mode because of the irritating exhaust off-throttle burble. I run in Sport-Plus (no burble) or Normal with the Auto-shut off OFF.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:21 PM
LargePuppy
Rennlist Member

Received 342 Likes on 187 Posts

I don't drive in Sport mode as of recently because I've been playing the gas mileage game - never realized how efficient my car is! ... once spring and summer hit it'll be back to Sport Mode 24/7

DaveGee
Old 02-03-2020, 02:16 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,058 Likes on 533 Posts

Mine only works after long drives. Because my dash camera with voltage cutoff seems to keep my battery in a state too low for *** to initiate on. So if you dont want to have to turn it off, get a dash camera with voltage shutoff timer and no more ***! Well it will work. But you will need to drive for a solid hour to get the battery up to where *** wants it.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:59 PM
Robuk
Intermediate

Mine only works after long drives. Because my dash camera with voltage cutoff seems to keep my battery in a state too low for *** to initiate on. So if you dont want to have to turn it off, get a dash camera with voltage shutoff timer and no more ***! Well it will work. But you will need to drive for a solid hour to get the battery up to where *** wants it.
It`s nothing to do with your dash camera, the alternator is quite capable of running that, it`s all to do with intermittent smart charging, Start your car switch everything on, heated seats, lights, dashcam, audio then rev engine to about 2000 and watch the voltage on your dash, it should read around 14.2 to 14.4, that means the battery is being charged even with everything on. If you see 13 volts or so that`s smart charging in play, to verify this disconnect the battery sensor do same again and your charging voltage will now increase to around 14.2 volts as in my vid.

If you do mainly short runs your battery probably won`t get fully charged with this system in play. As said the engine control unit (ECU) will not allow the alternator to charge the battery above 75/80% under engine power, the system needs that 25% space in the battery for the high fast intermittent 15-16 volts charging from overrun and braking. To test this choose voltage in your display and drive the car, the voltage will probably swing from around 12.5 (no charging) to 15 maybe 16 volts.

Both systems are flawed, they are there for the manufacturers to achieve their emission targets and that`s it, if stop start does not activate it means the system considers the battery does not have enough charge to restart the car. Why would anyone want an intermittent power supply that does not fully charge the battery?.
Why would anyone want an *** system that (1) shortens the life of the battery, (2) probably shortens the life of the timing chain, guides and actuators?.

The article below suggests the smart system charges the battery when needed, well it appears that is not the case on the road, otherwise short journeys would not be a problem.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxil...ternators.html

Last edited by Robuk; 02-03-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:34 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Robuk

It`s nothing to do with your dash camera, the alternator is quite capable of running that, it`s all to do with intermittent smart charging, Start your car switch everything on, heated seats, lights, dashcam, audio then rev engine to about 2000 and watch the voltage on your dash, it should read around 14.2 to 14.4, that means the battery is being charged even with everything on. If you see 13 volts or so that`s smart charging in play, to verify this disconnect the battery sensor do same again and your charging voltage will now increase to around 14.2 volts as in my vid.

If you do mainly short runs your battery probably won`t get fully charged with this system in play. As said the engine control unit (ECU) will not allow the alternator to charge the battery above 75/80% under engine power, the system needs that 25% space in the battery for the high fast intermittent 15-16 volts charging from overrun and braking. To test this choose voltage in your display and drive the car, the voltage will probably swing from around 12.5 (no charging) to 15 maybe 16 volts.

Both systems are flawed, they are there for the manufacturers to achieve their emission targets and that`s it, if stop start does not activate it means the system considers the battery does not have enough charge to restart the car. Why would anyone want an intermittent power supply that does not fully charge the battery?.
Why would anyone want an *** system that (1) shortens the life of the battery, (2) probably shortens the life of the timing chain, guides and actuators?.

The article below suggests the smart system charges the battery when needed, well it appears that is not the case on the road, otherwise short journeys would not be a problem.

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/auxil...ternators.html

Im not sure man. When I remove my camera and just drive for a day, the next day my *** works like normal and continues too. When I add it back, it *** will work for that day, and after I park it overnight, it doesnt work anymore. Unless I drive for 2hrs. At such time it will work until the car is parked overnight and the dash cam is using power. But if I get the battery charge to whatever threashold the *** needs, and DO NOT have my camera running when parked. Then *** works just like normal and continues too.

So in my case, Im pretty sure my dash camera is sucking down the power to the point *** wont work. Maybe Im wrong. But thats what Ive noticed in my car.
The following users liked this post:
Yojeffo (02-03-2020)
Old 02-04-2020, 11:53 AM
Robuk
Intermediate

[QUOTE] Im not sure man. When I remove my camera and just drive for a day, the next day my *** works like normal and continues too. When I add it back, it *** will work for that day, and after I park it overnight, it doesnt work anymore.[QUOTE]

If the cam is wired in correctly it`s doubtful it`s the camera, if you do mainly short journeys read article below, it appears the ECU decides when and how much to charge the battery, personally I would sooner have that choice.

Porsche Cayman 981 (2012-2016)

Electrical systems

The battery is recharged by the alternator predominantly under braking. Thanks to selective recharging the engine has a bit more power as the alternator doesn't have to generate electricity all the time.

The electric parking brake is released automatically as you pull away with your seat belt fastened. A hill hold function is integrated as standard, even for the manual gearbox car. As soon as sufficient torque is available, the brake is released and the vehicle moves off.

The standard start/stop function switches off the engine when you stop, select neutral and release the clutch pedal. In cars with PDK, it is simply a case of applying and holding the brake. The engine will restart as soon as you operate the clutch or, in cars with PDK, release the brake. The start/stop function can be deactivated and reactivated using a button on the centre console. The function is deactivated automatically in the event of extreme outside temperatures, low battery charge or activation of the Sport-button. The Sport-button on the centre console is fitted as standard. When selected, the engine reacts even more directly to the accelerator pedal and the rev-limiter is set higher.

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayman/981/
Old 02-04-2020, 02:33 PM
BIGWORM
Three Wheelin'

[QUOTE=Robuk;16398632][QUOTE] Im not sure man. When I remove my camera and just drive for a day, the next day my *** works like normal and continues too. When I add it back, it *** will work for that day, and after I park it overnight, it doesnt work anymore.

If the cam is wired in correctly it`s doubtful it`s the camera, if you do mainly short journeys read article below, it appears the ECU decides when and how much to charge the battery, personally I would sooner have that choice.

Porsche Cayman 981 (2012-2016)

Electrical systems

The battery is recharged by the alternator predominantly under braking. Thanks to selective recharging the engine has a bit more power as the alternator doesn't have to generate electricity all the time.

The electric parking brake is released automatically as you pull away with your seat belt fastened. A hill hold function is integrated as standard, even for the manual gearbox car. As soon as sufficient torque is available, the brake is released and the vehicle moves off.

The standard start/stop function switches off the engine when you stop, select neutral and release the clutch pedal. In cars with PDK, it is simply a case of applying and holding the brake. The engine will restart as soon as you operate the clutch or, in cars with PDK, release the brake. The start/stop function can be deactivated and reactivated using a button on the centre console. The function is deactivated automatically in the event of extreme outside temperatures, low battery charge or activation of the Sport-button. The Sport-button on the centre console is fitted as standard. When selected, the engine reacts even more directly to the accelerator pedal and the rev-limiter is set higher.

https://www.stuttcars.com/porsche-models/cayman/981/
I understand how the car chooses to charge the battery. What Im saying is, my camera certainly appears to be sucking the battery down to a point where the voltage is TOO low for *** to work. This has been discussed a few times in the blackview dash camera threads. Others have reported the same thing. One user took his car to the dealership to show them it NOT working. The dealer said his battery was fine for all their tests. UNTIL the found out that the voltage was NOT high enough for *** to function. Sounds exactly how mine is acting too.

So I hear what you are saying about how it charges. But regardless of how it charges. My past two 991.2 911's both with the same camera setup, act the same exact way. And when I remove the camera from overnight running, *** works just fine. That clearly whats causing mine if you ask me.

Now if the alternator could charge 24/7, perhaps I would not run into this. I dont know. I just know the camera is whats causing mine not to work.
Old 02-04-2020, 03:34 PM
Robuk
Intermediate

.[/QUOTE]Now if the alternator could charge 24/7, perhaps I would not run into this. I dont know. I just know the camera is whats causing mine not to work.[/QUOTE]

Simple test, disconnect the battery sensor, run the Porsche for 2 or 3 days with the cam connected then reconnect the sensor, if *** now works it`s the selective charging system that`s causing the problem. The ECU controlled alternator is not putting enough charge into the battery allowing it to drain down to too lower a level.

With the sensor disconnected the ECU can`t read the SOC of the battery and puts the alternator into a continuous charging regime as shown in my vid.

If selective charging is the cause, the *** function will again stop working once the sensor is reconnected andthe battery is again allowed deplete to a too lower level for it to function. You could disconnect the camera and turn on a high drain item such as the passenger heated seat, if *** still continues to work it`s your cam, if it stops working, again it`s the smart charging system. If it`s the smart system the question is, how do I know when the battery is near to flat or near fully charged other than *** working or not.

Last edited by Robuk; 02-05-2020 at 03:09 PM.

Quick Reply: Auto Start Stop