Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your 911 car wrapped!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2020, 11:13 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

I love the idea of a wrap and have been considering it for the past year. But the cost from a high end place is around $7K, and it will last 1-2 years for a daily driver. I know you can get it for less, but then you risk razor marks etc... Hard to justify the cost for such a short time period.

I've also been thinking about autoflex where I got a quote for $3250. Thing is it means removing my existing PPF, which has only been on for a year, so I think I'll wait another +1 year and then go that route.

Old 04-25-2020, 01:38 PM
SConn
Drifting

Received 976 Likes on 580 Posts

Originally Posted by Thinc2
I love the idea of a wrap and have been considering it for the past year. But the cost from a high end place is around $7K, and it will last 1-2 years for a daily driver. I know you can get it for less, but then you risk razor marks etc... Hard to justify the cost for such a short time period.

I've also been thinking about autoflex where I got a quote for $3250. Thing is it means removing my existing PPF, which has only been on for a year, so I think I'll wait another +1 year and then go that route.
Wrap will only last a year or two? And $7k? Is that USD? Good grief!
Old 04-25-2020, 01:52 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,445 Likes on 2,355 Posts

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
Wrap will only last a year or two? And $7k? Is that USD? Good grief!
It can last for 5 years and even much longer depending on how it is cared for.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:54 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
It can last for 5 years and even much longer depending on how it is cared for.
I expressly stated that in context to a car used as a daily driver. I'm sure in other conditions it could last much longer.
Old 04-25-2020, 05:56 PM
SConn
Drifting

5 years is more along the lines of what I've always heard. I'm not sure what kind of daily driving would reduce the life of a wrap by so much.
I'm only asking because we've considered wrapping our SP Charger.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:31 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C7toM2toGT4?
5 years is more along the lines of what I've always heard. I'm not sure what kind of daily driving would reduce the life of a wrap by so much.
I'm only asking because we've considered wrapping our SP Charger.
Saran Wrap will only last about a year but the good stuff is at least 5 unless one is daily driving up Pike's Peak.

Old 04-25-2020, 09:15 PM
Thinc2
Pro

OK, let's talk mileage instead of time - so you guys think a wrap is good for about 50 - 60K miles (equates to 5 years daily driving) in year round conditions?

I'd love for that to be true.

My understanding is that wrap shows little rock dings very easily - much more so than clear PPF. And it doesn't self heal like clear bra.

Would be great to hear from an owner who has first hand experience, and how it's work over xxK miles.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

OK, let's talk mileage instead of time - so you guys think a wrap is good for about 50 - 60K miles (equates to 5 years daily driving) in year round conditions?

I'd love for that to be true.

My understanding is that wrap shows little rock dings very easily - much more so than clear PPF. And it doesn't self heal like clear bra.

Would be great to hear from an owner who has first hand experience, and how it's work over xxK miles.
If you treat a good wrap like paint and use PPF on the front and other impact areas it will last about 5 years of semi-daily driving (non highway); about half the miles. I do not know how long it lasted since my brother sold it but it was in fine shape. And like for PPF shop the installer, not the product. I am sure Moe would agree so please chime in if you read this.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:11 PM
SConn
Drifting

Ya PPF is around 8 mil and wrap about 5.5 mil, so it is thinner that PPF. I could see PPF protecting the sensitive areas being a good idea.
I'm guessing one needs to take into consideration the areas they live in and driving style when determining how long it'll last. I'm not sure I'd fork out much more than $800 for something that'll only last me a year. Doesn't seem worth the time/money and assault on the vehicle to install it to me.
Old 04-26-2020, 06:29 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 454 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega4
Matte Black being installed last spring. PITA to keep clean, but when it is ! Had them add the stripes today to do something a little different.

Roo...saw the tags. Like your taste in vehicles bruh..mine isn;t wrapped tho..
Old 04-26-2020, 09:23 AM
Omega4
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrobc1213
Roo...saw the tags. Like your taste in vehicles bruh..mine isn;t wrapped tho..
RQQ, Team! What’s good!?!

I ended up taking the wrap off this spring as it was getting crazy to keep clean. Back to Black now.

Good hearing from Da 911 Bruhz!
Old 04-27-2020, 10:06 AM
RSBro
Pro

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I want the Manthey GT3 R "Grello" in either finish, if I had a GT3... <3

https://www.racedepartment.com/proxy...b735da5ce881d5
Old 04-27-2020, 04:56 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
If you treat a good wrap like paint and use PPF on the front and other impact areas it will last about 5 years of semi-daily driving (non highway); about half the miles. I do not know how long it lasted since my brother sold it but it was in fine shape. And like for PPF shop the installer, not the product. I am sure Moe would agree so please chime in if you read this.
OK, but that's not far off what I stating - daily driving includes highway use. And I didn't say anything about covering the wrap with PPF. Obviously that makes a huge difference, but it also increases the cost again.

So yes, if you cover the wrap in PPF, and don't drive on the highway, and do semi-daily driving, I could see it lasting 5 years or longer for sure... So with all those conditions applied, I guess we agree.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:21 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

OK, but that's not far off what I stating - daily driving includes highway use. And I didn't say anything about covering the wrap with PPF. Obviously that makes a huge difference, but it also increases the cost again.

So yes, if you cover the wrap in PPF, and don't drive on the highway, and do semi-daily driving, I could see it lasting 5 years or longer for sure... So with all those conditions applied, I guess we agree.
I only meant the front facing areas with PPF though, not the entire car since that is not needed.
The following users liked this post:
Thinc2 (04-27-2020)
Old 01-08-2021, 02:48 PM
Speed2k
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 216 Posts

Wow, all the wraps look great!

Originally Posted by Omega4
Matte Black being installed last spring. PITA to keep clean, but when it is ! Had them add the stripes today to do something a little different.

I love this matte wrap Omega, very nice!

Originally Posted by WhipE350
I had mine done in May 2018. Front of car is PPF over wrap thus it is a little more glossy. This is Dragon Fire red. I’m looking at doing a blue in next year or two. I’m very **** and have a side detailing business where I exclusively do Porsche’s so having a wrap let’s me not care when I see swirl marks on my car. It is a sad sickness to have 😀 but great for my customers.

Does anyone know what blue this is?

Has anyone seen a blue wrap that's close in color to Sapphire Blue?

Has anyone removed a wrap that has been left on for 5+ years? How was the process? Was a lot of residue left behind? I know there are a lot of variables that may affect it but just wanted to see what everyone's experience has been like. I'm considering a matte/satin blue for my car.

Last edited by Speed2k; 01-08-2021 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply: Show me your 911 car wrapped!