Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Show me your 911 car wrapped!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2020, 04:05 PM
9914s
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 145 Posts

I traded my car so I never got to finish the project. This is the last picture I took.

The following 2 users liked this post by 9914s:
Gonzalo38 (01-22-2020), Omega4 (01-18-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:39 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Omega4
That color is ! I’d love to learn more about spray wrap when the time comes for me to change up.
couple of answers ....

it was professionally done. I could only find 2 shops near me and I visited both. They had a GTR and an R8 that looked great so I had confidence to try it

the product was Autoflex and they had just released a new product (can’t remember the name but get the latest one). I think it was about 5 coats

for an extra $400 they would perform a complete sand buff and wax to make the surface “paint like” but it honestly came out better than expected so I passed on that

it goes on like paint so everything needs to be masked.... installer removed easy things like lights but I agreed to allowing for masking in other areas since the stuff literally just peels off or in thin areas of overspray wipes off with the right chemical

im not that **** so a perfectionist would find a few spots where it looks like a dust particle is under the spray. These can be buffed but the car was well prepped and these are really hard to see(easier to feel if you run your hand over).

my only complaint is that I can only hand wash it. It can go through a car wash but I don’t use those. I used to use the touch less washes but the installer warns that water pressure in those could cause a problem. I haven’t risked it.

a year in and now 1/2 way through a Boston winter it looks great. It has some swirl markers from washes but I’ll wax it in the spring
The following users liked this post:
Omega4 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 10:49 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Thinc2
Not a single authorized installer in WA state. Interesting business opportunity - wouldn't mind opening a shop that does something like this...
btw, I’m also amazed more shops aren’t doing this. It was 30-60% less than I was getting quoted by vinyl places and I honestly think it might be better ($1,800 vs $2500-$4000)

it requires a paint booth and prep but no where near the level of painting a car. Seems like there are so many color options. You can get stripes and all that but not graphics like you can with vinyl
Omega4 (01-19-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 01:09 PM
SockToy
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 34 Posts

Is it possible to get the same kind of pop, sparkle and reflection that you get from paint? I'm toying with the idea of a 'metallic viola' wrap with acid green highlights (photoshop attached) and dont really know if the kind of extra coats discussed above (Glassparency, etc) would solve for it...

Agentorange (02-10-2020)
Old 01-19-2020, 03:04 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
Actually, it was a "spray wrap". Its a much more advanced version of the old Plastidip concept by a company called Autoflex( I think).I decided to try it based on some of the benefits they claim: Peels off like a vinyl wrap, doesnt shrink over time(ive seen some wraps that shrink in corners like air intakes) and there are no issues working around the complex curves of the Porsche. its been great so far and it can by buffed and waxed like paint so I will do that in the spring. it was also about 30% less than a vinyl wrap.
thats awesome and I’ve never heard of it. May I ask how much this cost for your car?
and where did you get the Carrera sport wheels. Best of the newer wheel designs.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:26 PM
Carrera-T
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 250 Posts

Love the look of the color wraps. Have been toying with the idea of wrapping my White Carrera T in Miami Blue. In looking at some pics of T’s it seems the black interior with yellow stitching and seat belts could work.

How good is the quality of these wraps up close? Do they look smooth and glossy like paint or can you see stretch marks and orange peel from the material? I assume it comes down to the product and installer.

What about door jams and under the front hood? Seems like cost is somewhere between $3-5k.

Maybe a good idea to get the Miami Blue 911 out of my system :-)
Old 01-19-2020, 09:32 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera-T
Love the look of the color wraps. Have been toying with the idea of wrapping my White Carrera T in Miami Blue. In looking at some pics of T’s it seems the black interior with yellow stitching and seat belts could work.

How good is the quality of these wraps up close? Do they look smooth and glossy like paint or can you see stretch marks and orange peel from the material? I assume it comes down to the product and installer.

What about door jams and under the front hood? Seems like cost is somewhere between $3-5k.

Maybe a good idea to get the Miami Blue 911 out of my system :-)
I use this a lot in my interior, and am working on a couple things now: https://www.amdistributions.com/miami-blue/

If you create an account and login you can get 4"x8" samples for $1 in case you want to see what it is like in person, but it is a perfect match to Miami Blue.
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 AM
friar93
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chekraze
thats awesome and I’ve never heard of it. May I ask how much this cost for your car?
and where did you get the Carrera sport wheels. Best of the newer wheel designs.
the spray wrap was $1800. my car is perfect spec for me and it runs great, no damage so changing the color was a far better option than buying a new one. '

I got the wheels off of a RL'r who bought them new and the black didn't quite match his black. I also think they are one of the best new wheels with a throwback to the classic Fuchs ( and much easier to clean than a lot of the new wheels) the rears needed spacers but they also brought the wheel flush with the body and that makes a nice difference in the stance.
Old 01-21-2020, 05:08 PM
Thinc2
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by friar93
btw, I’m also amazed more shops aren’t doing this. It was 30-60% less than I was getting quoted by vinyl places and I honestly think it might be better ($1,800 vs $2500-$4000)

it requires a paint booth and prep but no where near the level of painting a car. Seems like there are so many color options. You can get stripes and all that but not graphics like you can with vinyl
Well, the closest place to me is in oregon and they are quoting $3250... And i need to pull off the PPF which is currently on the car, which was added less than a year ago for $2500. Makes sense the ppf would have to come off, but I think I will get another year of use out of it before going the autoflex route.

Do have some neat colors selected though: Ossi blue, Continental Orange, or Irish green are the top choices...
Old 01-21-2020, 11:42 PM
flgfish
Pro

Received 162 Likes on 99 Posts

I was thinking about getting some paint work done - fix chips, etc - then do a paint restoration & clear coat.
Now I'm thinking I may just wrap the car a new color & have some fun - they're in the same ballpark price wise.
Thanks Reddit!
The following 2 users liked this post by flgfish:
Omega4 (01-22-2020), Texas Porsche (01-09-2021)
Old 01-22-2020, 03:09 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Ceepe
Threadjack, does anyone have a lead on those destressed motorsports wraps? The aged looking ones in the style of race livery, post race? Ive searched a bunch and never turned up a product or service available to the public.
He is in Florida, but Justin can hook you up http://redlinedesign.tv/
This is a friends Nissan he did.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:33 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,320 Likes on 613 Posts

Originally Posted by WhipE350
A well installed wrap that is also protected by PPF in areas susceptible to damage can last many years depending on your driving conditions. For instance my car is garaged and driven in fair weather and not in traffic.
I’ve seen wraps without PPF driven in winter only last a year. Wraps are not very tough when hit with sand ice and gravel.
Your wrap looks great—I could easily see doing a color wrap with PPF over the whole car...but I suspect that would get expensive quickly. Even so…
Old 04-24-2020, 08:43 PM
onedae
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 50 Posts

Curious if you can use vinyl on the dash trim and door inserts to change the look? Seems like it would be a good alternative to buying expensive Porsche trim replacements. My trim is leather - does that matter?
Old 04-24-2020, 08:54 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,460 Likes on 2,361 Posts

Originally Posted by onedae
Curious if you can use vinyl on the dash trim and door inserts to change the look? Seems like it would be a good alternative to buying expensive Porsche trim replacements. My trim is leather - does that matter?
Yes you can but usually just on the painted trim.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:28 PM
myusername
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 37 Posts

Here's my gloss metallic grey wrap.
Winnetka (06-27-2024)

Quick Reply: Show me your 911 car wrapped!