Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:54 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

@Lightchop Hah! I'm not into 2020 territory, but what's "funny" to me is that I started out figuring I'd drop a quick $90k and get a '17-'18 C2S. Then I liked the idea of AWD for more year-round use, so that number jumped up to $100k for a '17 C4S. But wait, the 991 Targas are super cool (and the one I always envisioned as a kid) AND they all have AWD...I think I can get into a 2017 or 2018 Targa 4S by raising the bar to about $115k. Well, hell...there are a few leftover '19 Targa 4S cars near me at $150k MSRP that I'm wondering if I can negotiate down to something around $130k (12-15% off). Of course, now we're into 2017 Turbo price ranges...hmmmm.

Regardless, that would be $40k more than I originally set out to spend, but this purchase represents the fulfillment of a childhood dream and I don't want to have regrets. Never mind that for that much money I could buy both a 991 C2S for me AND a 981 Boxster for my wife.

I really need to land on a trim level that I really want. Either way, I'm gonna start the convo on a few new 2019 Targa 4S (since they may not last much longer) just to see how aggressive they're willing to be in moving the 19s out of inventory now that the 992s are out. I know my target price is super aggressive, but all they can do is say no. Of course, my rear axle puckers a little when I think about what happens if they say yes...
Old 02-19-2020, 01:55 PM
911Stalker
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterloo
I have a '19 Targa and wind noise/buffeting is a non issue in my opinion. On long drives to the cottage (100-120 km/h) I have the top open and widows down when its just me. When my wife is along I just raise the windows and we can have a conversation (not easy at the best of times due to my 30% hearing loss and her being deaf in her left ear). Around town widows down is perfectly fine for everyone. My daily commute involves a 10 min run on the 401 here in southern Ontario where the speed routinely hits 140 km/h and the wind isn't an issue. I even drive around town with the top open (and windows up) here in the winter (-5 deg celsius the other day) and my ever expanding forehead barely gets cold! Get a Targa, they are fantastic and the manual makes them even better.
Thanks for the feedback. I need to see if I can get one out on the road and pop the top despite the current weather here.
Old 02-19-2020, 02:13 PM
Lightchop
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes 911Stalker - that is exactly the thought process I found myself in. And similar conclusion - its a fulfillment of a dream, and frankly you'll have more peace of mind buying new and the car you want.

I have to think you'll easily get more than 10% off sticker. And if you need any more help justifying it - I dont think the targa will lose much value say in 3 years.

In full disclosure - and this is something you might not expect someone on a Porsche forum to say - but when I was 16 with my fresh license, a parents friend had a used, old 914 manual that he let me drive. I cant say it was anything special, but I loved throwing it through the gears much more than my Honda at the time! Anyway, that whole "small roadster" segment always appealed to me - the Aflas, MGs, Fiat, 914s. All cool little cars with manuals, all with 100-150 hp or thereabouts. Fast forward to a few days ago - I discover the Fiat 124, which is basically a Miata but with the old roadster styling. Best part - i could buy the top of the line for <30k brand new (its been around a few years but its being discontinued). THe sad news - I actually went to a Fiat dealer yesterday and I just dont fit in the car (I'm 6'3"). And I have absolutely no problem fitting in 911s and 718s. Oh well, back to my real dream of a 911 then! Bit upsetting because I could probably scratch my "manual sporty car" itch with the Fiat for a summer, and then get a proper PDK 911. I think Fiat engines dont last more than a summer anyhow

Quick Reply: First-time Porsche buyer...can anyone help me pressure test my thinking?