Sponsored by:

My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2019, 09:04 AM
Nizer
Rennlist Member

Received 1,899 Likes on 978 Posts

Originally Posted by ajeffrey10
Talk to me when range is 500+ miles. Otherwise, there simply is no conversation to be had, imho
+1 And when China and India stop producing the majority of electricity from coal and stop adding to coal power capacity.

That said, I can see the attraction of remote emission vehicles if you don't travel long distances and don't deal with harsh weather conditions.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:10 AM
Juan Lopez
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Juan Lopez
done. Look under other marque discussions
https://rennlist.com/forums/other-ma...udi-etron.html
Old 12-31-2019, 02:04 PM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcassells
A good friend of mine has a 2018 S5 sportback and is a huge Audi fan but HATES his car specifically because of the transmission, it’s a weird car for sure as the tranny sure seems confused most times.

btw- I purchased a Bolt last year for my wife and we are total converts now to the EV world , I love driving it and look forward to eventually swapping out my 911 if something non-Tesla pops up that offers a sports car experience. I say non-Tesla only because I hate their entire aesthetic design ethos, that may change hopefully .
Tesla does have those patented misaligned panel gaps for cooling.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 AM
HasanMian
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I placed an order for Manhattan Grey E-tron here in my country (Pakistan). Expect to get mine among the first units landing in March 2020.
Even though the charging infrastructure in Lahore (my city) is symbolic, for my driving cycle I expect my 11KW charger (coming with the car) to suffice.

My take on ICE cars and EVs is this: ICE engine cars will eventually occupy the same niche in the market as expensive Swiss timepieces. So they will be expensive to own, require maintenance, very attractive in design, a conversation starter and bring pride and joy to the owner. I imagine telling my neighbor's son in 2040, that this Aston Martin has an in house movement based on the 2007 V8 from Mercedes Benz but with modified parts....and requires fuel that I can only get from the airport.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
Carlo_Carrera (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 11:02 AM
infinitest
Instructor

Received 81 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Tesla does have those patented misaligned panel gaps for cooling.
We have an early build Model 3 that has no such issues. I have friends with Model 3's that don't have any issues either. They were overblown by people shorting the stock.

The reality of the matter is this: my previous Cayenne GTS (< 25k miles, $110k MSRP) and my current Carrera 4 GTS (16k miles, $147k MSRP) rattle and squeak from everywhere (A pillars, B pillars, doors, speakers, dash, seats, etc.). My fiancé's Model 3 (30k miles, $46k MSRP) on the other hand is silent despite not benefitting from engine noise to cover up small noises.

That aside, EV are definitely the future and I'm happy Porsche put in a large effort with the Taycan even though the price tag is too inflated for what you get. Curious to see what their self-driving tech will look like because my Cayenne's adaptive cruise control was really, really bad and AutoPilot, for all its small faults, is impressive and continues to get better with software updates.

Last edited by infinitest; 02-08-2020 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:04 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Interesting to read this thread, and congrats on the new car, drcollie! Had a similar experience with EVs at the end of last year, driving the Taycan for a couple of days—though slightly different logic after driving my 911: "Everyday" cars and trucks an internal combustion seemed pointlessly noisy at every intersection when I returned home (range isn't an issue for us). A quick drive in my 911 confirmed that the Taycan's EV powertrain is no replacement for an ICE powertrain with real character (flat sixes, V12s, performance inline sixes, V8s, I4s, etc), but I may be done with "everyday" ICE. And, given that I prefer PDK on track and concentrate far less on engine noise than where I am going, and how fast, a track day a couple of weeks later had me realize that we could've easily been out there in EVs—charging as quickly as they did in Europe between sessions. So I can easily see an EV daily and maybe even an EV track toy—but only if I had at least one P-51 handy. Taycan is out of my price range, whether by "justifiable" or other logic, and the eTron is a tough sell as a replacement for our current family vehicle at 2x the price for no added utility. I can, however, definitely see an EV of some sort in our future…

Quick Reply: My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron