Sponsored by:

My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2019, 02:45 AM
ajeffrey10
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I don't think sh*tty comments about "no soul" and all that are called for unless you have more experience with one. The range thing IS overblown for many people including me. VAG will own the market I'm guessing...for good or bad because I'm not a fan of their business ethics, and I am a big fan of Tesla. But facts are they have the money. And the technology. Their new charging system will rip. Whether or not it's good for the battery is another question.
Ok. Now we’re comparing VW’s business ethics to Elon Musk? Perhaps we should just stop right there.

Fact is, EV isn’t there yet. Not even close. Give it a decade. It’s inevitable, like death and taxes. Doesn’t mean you have to like it
Old 12-29-2019, 02:58 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,059 Likes on 5,252 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
Audi seems to be targeting a car more similar to an ICE and I get that.
Yes, that's exactly what Audi is doing with the E-Tron, and Porsche with the Taycan.

Originally Posted by CarreraFahrer
But why not take advantage of the instantaneous torque available from an EV?
Because it then wouldn't be an ICE car.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:03 AM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Congrats OP. I wondered what kind of reception a post like this would receive in this forum and it’s a pleasant surprise to see the replied that I’ve read.

I’m still shopping for my first Porsche and in May I sold my ‘15 S5 (poor steering system) and I bought a Tesla Model 3 for my wife thinking it would then free me up to hunt down the ideal 911 for me. What happened was I started driving it to work and just couldn’t believe how easy my commute became especially when there is traffic and I’m able to engage auto pilot.

Well now I’ve taken over the car and wife isn’t happy about it so in the next month or two I’ve got to give it back to her.

I think I’ll likely end up in a 991.1 GTS but have to say how impressive the model 3 is. Beautiful steering response and feel. Even though I have the cheapest version it has an every-day quickness off the line getting from 0 to 40 mph in a hurry. It’s a right sized car that also has good driving dynamics. The tech/software component is just first rate. After living with the car for a week or two it kind of grabs you and doesn’t let go. It initially appears that Tesla put together something simple but then you realize how much thought an elegance was really put into it in total. And that’s partially why cars like this make people feel like a traditional car feels like a “bucket of bolts”. When you step out of the model 3 and get into a traditional car it can really feel like you’re stepping back in time with all the superfluous buttons, surfaces and displays that are present.

My main complaint is that it doesn’t have good composure at high-speeds on sweepers and I look forward to getting that back once I find my perfect 911. I really thought I’d miss the sound of an engine and the shift points of a transmission and I occasionally do but it hasn’t been a deal breaker. Anyway the bottom line is The model 3 totally surprised me and my ideal garage will have an EV and a 911 hopefully providing the best of both worlds.

Last edited by chekraze; 12-29-2019 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:30 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 308 Posts

Drcollie, good to hear you're liking the E tron. I've been hot to get an E tron lately. I'm over these oil burning antiques for local and daily work. I share the thought that I don't think I'll buy another new model combustion engine from here on out.

I still would like to pursue, a 356, a 964, and maybe a used 4.0 GT car again, but nothing new model.

I like the electric Audi a lot. I'd like to put a few panels on the roof to aid in charging the car. I'm tempted to go get one before I even have the charger installed in the garage. Congrats and enjoy your spaceship.
Old 12-29-2019, 08:33 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
I don't think sh*tty comments about "no soul" and all that are called for unless you have more experience with one. The range thing IS overblown for many people including me. VAG will own the market I'm guessing...for good or bad because I'm not a fan of their business ethics, and I am a big fan of Tesla. But facts are they have the money. And the technology. Their new charging system will rip. Whether or not it's good for the battery is another question.
So you think VAG has shady business ethics but endorse Tesla?
Old 12-29-2019, 09:51 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

"When you step out of the model 3 and get into a traditional car it can really feel like you’re stepping back in time with all the superfluous buttons and surfaces that are present."

Exactly. I knew this post would stir a lot of comments, which is why I put it out because it kinda pokes at the hornet's nest of Porsche enthusiasm. I am most amused by the "I shop at the men's department" comment which made me laugh that a Porsche is manly, an E-Tron or Tesla is not. .HA! Let me adjust my bra strap.....

I live in metro Washington DC (Fairfax County) which is one of the most congested traffic areas in the USA within 60 miles of the city in any direction. You can be in a Porsche 991, a Ferrari 812 Superfast, or a Kia Soul and the fact of the matter is most the time you are held up by two ancient cars that are typically a 20 year old gold Corolla and equally old Honda Civic going side by side at 35 mph in a 40 mph zone. My commute is 16 miles each way to work and my average speed year round no matter what I drive is 31.5 mph and congested. And that my friends, is the perfect environment for an EV.

Friday night I took my wife and another couple out to dinner in the E-Tron. He's a car guy as well and owns a 911 as well as an Audi Q5 as his daily driver. The comfort and quiet of the car were amazing to them, and when I saw an opening in the traffic to goose by a couple of slower cars on the Fairfax County Parkway, they laughed out loud from the snappy acceleration to get into the lane. At the end of the night my buddy said "I have GOT to get me one of these, this is a brilliant car".

The smoothness and quiet, plus instant torque spoil you very quickly. You don't miss the inherent vibration that comes with an ICE car, and you don't miss the road noise that is gone probably because the battery pack absorbs most of it. Nor do you miss going to the gas station. I was ruined when Tesla gave me a Model X to keep for 24 hours over a year ago on an extended test drive. At the time those were $ 100K and that was too much for me. But wow ....wow....wow. What a machine. The Audi E-Tron checks my boxes as I prefer the styling and interior build, and they will deal on them. $ 84K list price for the fully loaded model, I negotiated that the $ 73K, and then get $ 7,500 as a Federal Tax Credit on the E-Tron so my net cost is $ 66,500, which slots nicely between the Model 3 and the Model X Tesla. (all the Federal Tax Credits on Tesla dissapear in two more days and they are currently a fraction of that $ 7,500). That tax credit is not off your Gross, its off the bottom line so its real money. Plus the Feds will give you another tax credit for installation of a charger or wiring in your home through the end of 2020 (30% of the cost up to $ 1,000).

I've owned (5) 911's, the first one in 1974. Most of you guys here were riding Big Wheels up and down the driveway back then. I've been an HPDE Instructor since 1995. I know about "Soul" of the 911. The current car with the tuning it has (992) tries to replicate the launch of an EV, giving you all the power down low and off the line, and the old naturally-aspirtated cars like i have (991.1) are slow off the line and don't come into their own until 3,800 rpm. Quaint, and fun in its own way, but the carnival-ride launch off the stoplight of an EV is way better. As I drove my 991 yesterday I really felt like I stepped back in time to an earlier period, pretty much like if you 991.2 guys went and jumped in a 964 you'd be stunned how primitive and slow it was.

I'm not giving up on the 911, I see a 6th one in my future. It will be an all-electric one an when it comes out, the magazines will gush over it like they never had before. You don't think Porsche AG is going to let Elon have all the fun with his 1,9 second 0-60 Roadster that does 250 mph, do you? They just haven't told us what they are working on in Stuttgart, but its coming. Maybe 992.2? Maybe a little later....but it will be here and when it does, it will reset the bar on sports cars. Meanwhile, I'll have some fun in my soccer mom E-tron and pull out the 991 cab on sunny, nostalgic days.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
AlexCeres (12-29-2019), sr5959 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 09:54 AM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,763 Likes on 1,099 Posts

Wait till you try a Taycan.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike Murphy:
Falcondrivr (12-29-2019), sr5959 (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:00 AM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,371 Likes on 1,536 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Murphy
Wait till you try a Taycan.
I can't afford a Taycan, so will not test drive one!
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
evilfij (12-30-2019), Mike Murphy (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:16 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by drcollie
"When you step out of the model 3 and get into a traditional car it can really feel like you’re stepping back in time with all the superfluous buttons and surfaces that are present."

Exactly. I knew this post would stir a lot of comments, which is why I put it out because it kinda pokes at the hornet's nest of Porsche enthusiasm. I am most amused by the "I shop at the men's department" comment which made me laugh that a Porsche is manly, an E-Tron or Tesla is not. .HA! Let me adjust my bra strap.....

I live in metro Washington DC (Fairfax County) which is one of the most congested traffic areas in the USA within 60 miles of the city in any direction. You can be in a Porsche 991, a Ferrari 812 Superfast, or a Kia Soul and the fact of the matter is most the time you are held up by two ancient cars that are typically a 20 year old gold Corolla and equally old Honda Civic going side by side at 35 mph in a 40 mph zone. My commute is 16 miles each way to work and my average speed year round no matter what I drive is 31.5 mph and congested. And that my friends, is the perfect environment for an EV.

Friday night I took my wife and another couple out to dinner in the E-Tron. He's a car guy as well and owns a 911 as well as an Audi Q5 as his daily driver. The comfort and quiet of the car were amazing to them, and when I saw an opening in the traffic to goose by a couple of slower cars on the Fairfax County Parkway, they laughed out loud from the snappy acceleration to get into the lane. At the end of the night my buddy said "I have GOT to get me one of these, this is a brilliant car".

The smoothness and quiet, plus instant torque spoil you very quickly. You don't miss the inherent vibration that comes with an ICE car, and you don't miss the road noise that is gone probably because the battery pack absorbs most of it. Nor do you miss going to the gas station. I was ruined when Tesla gave me a Model X to keep for 24 hours over a year ago on an extended test drive. At the time those were $ 100K and that was too much for me. But wow ....wow....wow. What a machine. The Audi E-Tron checks my boxes as I prefer the styling and interior build, and they will deal on them. $ 84K list price for the fully loaded model, I negotiated that the $ 73K, and then get $ 7,500 as a Federal Tax Credit on the E-Tron so my net cost is $ 66,500, which slots nicely between the Model 3 and the Model X Tesla. (all the Federal Tax Credits on Tesla dissapear in two more days and they are currently a fraction of that $ 7,500). That tax credit is not off your Gross, its off the bottom line so its real money. Plus the Feds will give you another tax credit for installation of a charger or wiring in your home through the end of 2020 (30% of the cost up to $ 1,000).

I've owned (5) 911's, the first one in 1974. Most of you guys here were riding Big Wheels up and down the driveway back then. I've been an HPDE Instructor since 1995. I know about "Soul" of the 911. The current car with the tuning it has (992) tries to replicate the launch of an EV, giving you all the power down low and off the line, and the old naturally-aspirtated cars like i have (991.1) are slow off the line and don't come into their own until 3,800 rpm. Quaint, and fun in its own way, but the carnival-ride launch off the stoplight of an EV is way better. As I drove my 991 yesterday I really felt like I stepped back in time to an earlier period, pretty much like if you 991.2 guys went and jumped in a 964 you'd be stunned how primitive and slow it was.

I'm not giving up on the 911, I see a 6th one in my future. It will be an all-electric one an when it comes out, the magazines will gush over it like they never had before. You don't think Porsche AG is going to let Elon have all the fun with his 1,9 second 0-60 Roadster that does 250 mph, do you? They just haven't told us what they are working on in Stuttgart, but its coming. Maybe 992.2? Maybe a little later....but it will be here and when it does, it will reset the bar on sports cars. Meanwhile, I'll have some fun in my soccer mom E-tron and pull out the 991 cab on sunny, nostalgic days.
Glad you took that in jest

When I was young and in the army, the small southern town I was in had a lot of get togethers that consisted of mostly muscle cars. I bonded with the fast and furious crowd - this was before the movie but its a good representation. For my group it was things like built Kouki's with overblown SR20's, SRT4's and boosted Hondas (before that was the OEM norm). The imports were mostly faster and certainly more efficient and technologically advanced then the old geezer cars.... but the old farts just liked their old cars. Sadly.... I know understand as I cling to my beloved 991.1 3.8 NA. people resist change and Porsche people scream anarchy at the slightest change; no matter how much better the change becomes.

I think e cars are like laptops... the early ones were terrible but they were needed iterations to get where we are today. E cars have been a thing for well over 100 years.... they are not new. Perhaps this is the iteration we need to make it a mature technology. It's already better in most ways... I'm just familiar with the old. I think there is also something mentally draining about an entire generation of cars that were once so aspirational becoming obsolete. I remember taking delivery of my 991.1 like it was yesterday and seemingly overnight it's 3 generations old. E cars will do nothing but accelerate this and marketing propaganda will be like cell phones and require a new one every year.
The following 2 users liked this post by garfunkle:
GT3FZS (12-29-2019), Zeus993 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 10:42 AM
Bud Taylor
Drifting

Received 445 Likes on 318 Posts
Default Cost Benefit

I have looked at the model S with the dual motors but im not sure about longevity and a low milage used example still approached 50k. If you buy a pre 2017 you get lifetime free charging. I am currently spending around 5500 a year on petrol for my commute. My work also offers free charging.

It seems from what I am reading batteries and motors are getting replaced in the 150 to 200k mileage range.

I would look at a model 3 but they have followed the current interior design trend all cars seem to follow today which looks like an 8 year old duct taped an ipad to the top of the dash board. The genisis 70 sport with MT would be a brilliant car minus this huge flaw.

So im down to choosiing between a 2018 golf R, 2017 wrx sti or a 2014/15 S4. I really wish electric was here at the right price range but sadly, even with 5500 in yearly gas subsidy it is not. I also have a 5KW solar array on my house so the fuel cost would be truly zero. If you have the money to help the environment for the environments sake, charge on.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:57 AM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Sounds like a really cool car, I can completely understand your enthusiasm ... as car enthusiasts I always say it is so cool to learn something completely new. I had an R8 with the R tronic transmission which had the worst reviews and to me it was just fun learning to drive something new and different than a manual or automatic transmission. Over the 4 years I had it, I loved it. Now I have a pdk in my Cayman and am enjoying that (still have my manual 991.1S).

The E tron looks so cool from the video you posted, when we got my wife’s Q7 a few months ago the dealer had gotten their first one and it was the weirdest looking blue color which really didn’t do justice to the body style. Nice to see how good it looks in another color ... enjoy your new ride !!

Old 12-29-2019, 11:00 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Bud Taylor
If you have the money to help the environment for the environments sake, charge on.
Ha! Not to open a can of worms but electric cars are so much WORSE for the environment... the mining of material and manufacturing process far outweighs the damage for the environment than emissions from ICE. It's simply squeezing the balloon.
The following 4 users liked this post by garfunkle:
Falcondrivr (12-29-2019), Klepper (12-31-2019), spyderbret (12-30-2019), Zeus993 (12-30-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:14 AM
good2go
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts

Sounds like one is just new and one is old to you. How did they compare at the track for the day?
The following users liked this post:
verstraete (12-29-2019)
Old 12-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Ceepe
Rennlist Member

Received 602 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by garfunkle
Ha! Not to open a can of worms but electric cars are so much WORSE for the environment... the mining of material and manufacturing process far outweighs the damage for the environment than emissions from ICE. It's simply squeezing the balloon.
False.
Old 12-29-2019, 11:26 AM
garfunkle
Banned

Originally Posted by Ceepe
False.
Nope... not to mention the amount of unregulated emissions coming from the ocean freight ships transporting the materials and products to different continents....

Quick Reply: My 911S compared to my new Audi E-Tron