Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road noise - new to 991.1

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 12:36 AM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

Off topic but what were some reasons you moved from cayman GTS to the C2?
Old 12-28-2019, 12:54 AM
Wujohn
Rennlist Member

Received 425 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by s26singh
Took it to my buddy Jag at JMP Motors this morning - he has done work on a lot of my previous cars.

We took it out for a drive and isolated the noise to the rear, but was hard to tell if it was left or right. Lifted the car up when we got back - he confirmed right-rear wheel bearing failure - I felt the vibration while he turned the wheel - didn't even need a stethoscope. Left rear was fine.

Part(s) ordered - scheduled for install next week Tuesday. I will try to take pictures of the process, if anyone's interested.
Good stuff! Good luck in the repairs! I’ll keep that noise in mind for potential future issues!
Old 12-28-2019, 01:56 AM
s26singh
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by chekraze
Off topic but what were some reasons you moved from cayman GTS to the C2?
I didn’t move directly from the 981 Cayman GTS to the 991.1 C2. I actually traded in the Cayman for a W213 E63 AMG S.

At that time I thought I could use a bigger, all rounder car - one with more power and more space. Turns out I didnt need all that space after-all. And although the E63 had a mighty 600hp engine, faster doesn’t always equal more fun, at least not to me. I basically learned through that experiment there is no substitute for a Porsche sports car.

I got rid of the E63 within six months, and I picked up a MK 7.5 Golf R to carry me over. Started searching for a Porsche again. So to answer your question, although the 981 Cayman GTS was a fantastic car, my dream has always been to own a 911. And so I started searching for one. Thought on many occasions to put a deposit down for 992 base. But thinking back to my Cayman GTS - with its NA motor, I knew a 992 wouldn’t feel or sound the same. Fast forward 6 months to the present day, found this low mileage base 991.1 for a great price. Yes it needs some work, but there is great potential here for it to be my dream Porsche.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:36 AM
Super50
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

If everything checks out, consider noise canceling headphones for the highway part of your drives...IMO makes a big difference to my drive fatigue over long drives.
You can set to some sound transparency so you can still hear some stuff around you.
Also, I set the tires pressure to the comfort setting, although that doesn't help with the noise much, it improves my fatigue.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:18 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JHW911
As much as the 911 is touted as daily driver friendly IMHO it is not a true GT car. If I am driving more than an hour away I take one of my other cars. At highway speeds the noise is so loud that the radio is hard to hear.
Geeze, I drove from Toronto, Canada to Miami and back 80mph+. Could always hear the radio and complaints about my driving from my passengers. I’ve had modified Hondas that had awful exhaust drone; that bothers me way more than the road noise in the 991. That said if I have the radio completely off and no other audio distractions I find I fixate on the noise a lot more and it gets to me then.

Personally I can’t WAIT to take long distance trips across the highway in this war machine. Thats where this thing lives. Nothing is more satisfying than a well executed pass with a perfect downshift sending that flat six engine wailing and the chassis pressed to the tarmac like gravity is doing it extra favours. Other cars? Sure, if I’m forced to carry 2+ passengers whose physical configuration can’t be stuffed between the front passenger and rear passenger seats.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lucky991:
MEBound (12-28-2019), phefner (01-16-2020), s26singh (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 11:22 AM
s26singh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Super50
If everything checks out, consider noise canceling headphones for the highway part of your drives...IMO makes a big difference to my drive fatigue over long drives.
You can set to some sound transparency so you can still hear some stuff around you.
Also, I set the tires pressure to the comfort setting, although that doesn't help with the noise much, it improves my fatigue.
I don't mind the road noise. THIS current noise is just very annoying as it takes away from all the engine and induction sounds.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

I don't mind the road noise. THIS current noise is just very annoying as it takes away from all the engine and induction sounds.
Not to mention its unsafe especially if you drive these cars like they’re made to be driven.

How do you like the car so far bearing noise aside.

Last edited by Lucky991; 12-28-2019 at 11:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
s26singh (12-28-2019)
Old 12-28-2019, 11:26 AM
achtung6
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by flgfish
Pzeros in the cold, I'm betting tire noise. My Michelin PS4S are WAY WAY WAY better than the Nitto NT555 G2's the car had on it when I got it in this department. It's astounding how loud the rear tires can be at highway speeds.

I concur that the Pzero in cool weather (in the forties and fifties F) seem to get hard. It’s like the compound just doesn’t work well at all at cooler temps. My car would squirm on these tires, it felt nervous. The roar from the back tires is pretty spectacular from the Pzero, especially if they have any kind of wear.

I had two or three episodes of bad understeer which were scary. If you’ve ever had a bad scare with a front wheel drive car that understeered badly on you then you know what this is like. The car just wanted to plow off the road. It always happened on tight turns on chilly days with and without damp pavement. When driving at slow speeds in reverse, the “rolling over acorns” effect is far worse on the Pirelli tire than the Michelin. And the car got noticeably quieter overall when I removed the Pzero and had MPS4S fitted.

I realize Pirelli has made OEMs great deals on their tire which explains so many OEM fitments but Porsche did the 991 two huge disservices by not putting the car on Michelin from the factory. The first being the Pzero. The other being recommended tire pressures which, perhaps are good for sustained high speed driving on the autobahn but in combination with the Pzero make an otherwise wonderful car unnecessarily unpleasant to live with. Many people here have sampled the car at one of their Experience Centers. Porsche goes all out to have their guests experience their cars under optimal conditions. The objective is to make every guest a potential owner. ....all the cars there are rolling on Michelin tires. That was a real eye opener for me when I went to the LA center.

On second thought, maybe they should do this with all their great cars......the guy who traded in the car I bought complained about how “loud and rough” this car was. So for me maybe it’s Thank you Porsche for fitting Pzero on this otherwise wonderful machine!
Old 12-28-2019, 11:40 AM
Lucky991
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by achtung6
I concur that the Pzero in cool weather (in the forties and fifties F) seem to get hard. It’s like the compound just doesn’t work well at all at cooler temps. My car would squirm on these tires, it felt nervous. The roar from the back tires is pretty spectacular from the Pzero, especially if they have any kind of wear.

I had two or three episodes of bad understeer which were scary. If you’ve ever had a bad scare with a front wheel drive car that understeered badly on you then you know what this is like. The car just wanted to plow off the road. It always happened on tight turns on chilly days with and without damp pavement. When driving at slow speeds in reverse, the “rolling over acorns” effect is far worse on the Pirelli tire than the Michelin. And the car got noticeably quieter overall when I removed the Pzero and had MPS4S fitted.

I realize Pirelli has made OEMs great deals on their tire which explains so many OEM fitments but Porsche did the 991 two huge disservices by not putting the car on Michelin from the factory. The first being the Pzero. The other being recommended tire pressures which, perhaps are good for sustained high speed driving on the autobahn but in combination with the Pzero make an otherwise wonderful car unnecessarily unpleasant to live with. Many people here have sampled the car at one of their Experience Centers. Porsche goes all out to have their guests experience their cars under optimal conditions. The objective is to make every guest a potential owner. ....all the cars there are rolling on Michelin tires. That was a real eye opener for me when I went to the LA center.

On second thought, maybe they should do this with all their great cars......the guy who traded in the car I bought complained about how “loud and rough” this car was. So for me maybe it’s Thank you Porsche for fitting Pzero on this otherwise wonderful machine!
I don’t hear anything I’d attribute to “tire noise”; I always felt it was wind noise entering the cabin. Guess I could be wrong. I went from my 20” Pirella Pzeros to 19” Michelin MP4 winter tires and the car sounds exactly the same to me so its definitely not limited to tire type and make anyhow. Winter tires, by the way, should be standard equipment for this time of year in Toronto even if the temps have been a bit higher than normal. Thought it was common tire logic to switchover below 7 degrees C...lets say I had the “classic” 911 cornering experience last April in these weather conditions on the summer tire Pzero’s when I thought I’d make a heroic attack on an onramp. Only time the 991 didn’t stick like glue...

I had just picked the car up for the first time is why it did not have the appropriate footwear for the climate.
Old 12-28-2019, 11:51 AM
s26singh
Instructor

Originally Posted by Lucky991
Not to mention its unsafe especially if you drive these cars like they’re made to be driven.

How do you like the car so far bearing noise aside.
Its fantastic - feel right at home with this car - a more grown-up version of my previous Cayman. Needs a proper exhaust however - and a tad bit more power.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:04 PM
achtung6
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Lucky991
I don’t hear anything I’d attribute to “tire noise”; I always felt it was wind noise entering the cabin. Guess I could be wrong. I went from my 20” Pirella Pzeros to 19” Michelin MP4 winter tires and the car sounds exactly the same to me so its definitely not limited to tire type and make anyhow. Winter tires, by the way, should be standard equipment for this time of year in Toronto even if the temps have been a bit higher than normal. Thought it was common tire logic to switchover below 7 degrees C...lets say I had the “classic” 911 cornering experience last April in these weather conditions on the summer tire Pzero’s when I thought I’d make a heroic attack on an onramp. Only time the 991 didn’t stick like glue...

I had just picked the car up for the first time is why it did not have the appropriate footwear for the climate.
Its always educational to hear about others experiences. You didn’t say if you were running the recommended tire pressures. I think those pressures make the ride harsh and perhaps louder with tires other than the Pzero. I can only imagine Porsche recommending them for their gas mileage numbers and perhaps to reduce the number of complaints about bent wheels due to potholes. Roadway texture is a huge factor. This car is just plain loud on really coarse pavement.
Old 12-28-2019, 01:27 PM
chekraze
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 26 Posts

I didn’t move directly from the 981 Cayman GTS to the 991.1 C2. I actually traded in the Cayman for a W213 E63 AMG S.

At that time I thought I could use a bigger, all rounder car - one with more power and more space. Turns out I didnt need all that space after-all. And although the E63 had a mighty 600hp engine, faster doesn’t always equal more fun, at least not to me. I basically learned through that experiment there is no substitute for a Porsche sports car.

I got rid of the E63 within six months, and I picked up a MK 7.5 Golf R to carry me over. Started searching for a Porsche again. So to answer your question, although the 981 Cayman GTS was a fantastic car, my dream has always been to own a 911. And so I started searching for one. Thought on many occasions to put a deposit down for 992 base. But thinking back to my Cayman GTS - with its NA motor, I knew a 992 wouldn’t feel or sound the same. Fast forward 6 months to the present day, found this low mileage base 991.1 for a great price. Yes it needs some work, but there is great potential here for it to be my dream Porsche.

I ask b/c I'm mulling over buying a Cayman GTS but also considering a 991.1 GTS. I know...they aren't comparable in price but am wondering if the Cayman worth pursuing or just go for the 911. I've driven a 911 GTS but never drove a Cayman GTS. What's been your experience bearing noise notwithstanding?

Old 12-28-2019, 01:48 PM
s26singh
Instructor

Originally Posted by chekraze
I ask b/c I'm mulling over buying a Cayman GTS but also considering a 991.1 GTS. I know...they aren't comparable in price but am wondering if the Cayman worth pursuing or just go for the 911. I've driven a 911 GTS but never drove a Cayman GTS. What's been your experience bearing noise notwithstanding?
The 981 Cayman GTS is more similar to a 991.1 C2 with PSE, rather than a 991.1 GTS. I would definitely go for the 991.1 GTS - in terms of performance, it is at a totally different level compared to both the Cayman GTS, and my 991.1 C2.

If you like the Cayman size, I would maybe consider a 981 GT4. Otherwise, 991.1 GTS all day every day.
Old 01-02-2020, 06:04 PM
s26singh
Instructor

Parts came in today, so car went in this morning.

Put it on the lift; wheel came off:

Brakes came off to allow access to the wheel hub. Axle nut removed next; and then the wheel hub assembly.

Wheel carrier was removed next; followed by the actual wheel bearing:

From the following picture you can tell the internal grease/lubrication is drying up; the black areas on each ball represent excessive wear.

New bearing was put into place. Everything was put together, and inspected.

Took car off lift and went out for a 30 minute drive - city/hwy combined. Annoying loud hum/noise all gone. I have to say this is the first time I have actually heard the engine rev out properly - truly enjoyable!

The repair overall was straightforward and unremarkable. Getting the wheel hub off was the only difficult part.

So, that being said, on to the next issue:

Something tells me this cars going to make me work for it.
WP0 (04-20-2021)
Old 01-03-2020, 10:55 AM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,134 Likes on 1,462 Posts

I've never seen a car with 20K miles on it have a bad wheel bearing, I'd chalk that up to a fluke. Very unusual, but glad you located it and fixed it.
s26singh (01-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Road noise - new to 991.1