Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hey 991.2 Targa 4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 05:28 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 379 Likes on 213 Posts

I'm not sure pccb's are worth the extra money just for the dust, but it appears that is how they market them...

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/03/...e-expert-says/

also this

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...-plague-267318

Old 12-13-2019, 06:55 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

Tough to justify PCCB's just for the purpose of cleaner wheels. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. From a performance standpoint, I've never had a situation on the street where I braked and thought "man, that was close. Wish I had the PCCB's". Doesn't happen. And the Targa is not a track car. Also my opinion - and I'm stickin' to it.

As to the OP's original question, I tested a Targa 4 when I bought my car and frankly there is more than enough hp in the base configuration to get in trouble with. But I'm a small brained man and I wanted as much hp as I could get so I configured a Targa4S with the PowerKit. The nice thing about a turbocharged car is that more hp is easily attained through larger turbos - and you don't necessarily have to go aftermarket. My advice would be to strike a sweet deal for one of the Targa 4's that you like (they're not getting any younger by the way) and then upgrade the turbos only if you feel something is lacking. Don't let 'em get away - otherwise you'll be looking at 992's.

DaveGee
Old 12-13-2019, 09:48 PM
TorqueChap
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Got a 991.1 GTS Targa with PCCBs. Love it. Not a savvy enough racer to feel the extra weight or, presumably, higher center of gravity. 430hp is more than enough to hustle. And the PCCBs are pricey but zero dust and I'll never live to see need for a brake job.
The following users liked this post:
Freddie Two Bs (12-14-2019)
Old 12-13-2019, 09:56 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Received 167 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by virdoc
Do you drive it year round in the Canadian winters? Snow tires? I live in MI and am considering trading my DD in for a targa 4 to drive year round.
Thanks Virdoc! I don't drive the 911 in the winter as it is an odd kind of winter weather here next to the ocean. The temperature hoovers around freezing and snow turns to slush in the late afternoon sun. It can flash freeze into rock-hard ruts while you are in a grocery store. Rocker panels are beaten off of most SUVs; the Targa wouldn't make it. It's a wet cold, not a dry cold. Does that make any sense?

Originally Posted by DaveGee
... And the Targa is not a track car. Also my opinion - and I'm stickin' to it.

DaveGee
Hey Dave... shhhh... don't tell my wife!

Old 12-13-2019, 10:28 PM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 476 Likes on 267 Posts

Good for you Icebreaker - awesome!

DaveGee
Old 12-13-2019, 11:23 PM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGee
Tough to justify PCCB's just for the purpose of cleaner wheels. That's my opinion and I'm stickin' to it. From a performance standpoint, I've never had a situation on the street where I braked and thought "man, that was close. Wish I had the PCCB's". Doesn't happen. And the Targa is not a track car. Also my opinion - and I'm stickin' to it.

As to the OP's original question, I tested a Targa 4 when I bought my car and frankly there is more than enough hp in the base configuration to get in trouble with. But I'm a small brained man and I wanted as much hp as I could get so I configured a Targa4S with the PowerKit. The nice thing about a turbocharged car is that more hp is easily attained through larger turbos - and you don't necessarily have to go aftermarket. My advice would be to strike a sweet deal for one of the Targa 4's that you like (they're not getting any younger by the way) and then upgrade the turbos only if you feel something is lacking. Don't let 'em get away - otherwise you'll be looking at 992's.

DaveGee
No brake dust and the Yellow calipers look much better than Red with Miami Blue: priceless.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Freddie Two Bs
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Icebreaker
For now, here on these roads, the Targa 4 is a blast to wind out in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. You are all welcome to come visit.

Beautiful! Could you elaborate a bit on your surroundings? Point to the location a bit more precisely, indicate a few examples of such beautiful roads, etc. Winter ain't even started yet and I'm already longing for the summer and daydreaming about driving trips would help me get through the dark and cold and snow and ice and all-round misery of the next four months.
Old 12-14-2019, 04:25 PM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

yes i’d love to know too! Looking to roadtrip in nova scotia next summer

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Beautiful! Could you elaborate a bit on your surroundings? Point to the location a bit more precisely, indicate a few examples of such beautiful roads, etc. Winter ain't even started yet and I'm already longing for the summer and daydreaming about driving trips would help me get through the dark and cold and snow and ice and all-round misery of the next four months.
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 PM
Dkk16
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

I drove the 991.2 Targa 4 base and the Targa 4S back to back on a technical track (less straight aways and more curves with elevation changes) before ordering my Targa. I chose the base for a few reasons; the strongest being that the 4S performance mostly pulled a tiny bit harder on the straight away. They were both beautiful and equal at braking, cornering and accelerating under the conditions I set out to compare the two versions.

There is a full thread dedicated to discussing "when 370HP is enough". For me, I live and drive in one of the least populated but very scenic area of Eastern maritime Canada. Imagine single lane roads that switchback down into oceanside villages and then rapidly climb back up to cliff top vistas. There are no interstates to blast onto; just a couple single lane highways supporting hundreds of miles of coastal back roads. The pavement is mostly pristine, but the opportunity to drive at high speed in a straight line is rare. For me, the base was my engine of choice. In full disclosure, I ordered it with every performance option except the pdk. Handling was paramount. I also succumbed to full leather w/acid green deviating stitching and some factory CXX options. I built this car for the roads less driven; my vision of a true working 911. I couldn't be happier. If I move to a metropolis someday... I might install a tune for the new driving environment.

For now, here on these roads, the Targa 4 is a blast to wind out in 2nd, 3rd and 4th. You are all welcome to come visit.

Very well written. Thanks!

I did read that 370 thread awhile back. It's interesting hearing everyone's perspective.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:53 PM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by rick brooklyn
Originally Posted by rockrdude
yes i’d love to know too! Looking to roadtrip in nova scotia next summer
Rick & Rockrdude... This is a great part of the world for a road trip. The curves and scenery are great, only to be surpassed by the food. Porsche started a "Porsche Experience" here a year ago to great reviews. It looks like they are doing it again this fall. Check this brief overview/map out:
http://porscheexperience.ca/en/trave...ce_novascotia/

Lunenburg is one of my favorite towns. The coastal road to get there is called the "lighthouse route". You can't go wrong heading in that direction.
https://www.novascotia.com/explore/top-25/lunenburg

There is a golf course here too! It is on the coastal road and a nice place to stop for a night. More pictures:
https://www.cabotlinks.com/

There is a ferry that goes from Maine - Nova Scotia. I take it quite regularly to drive to Boston. If anyone is interested in visiting Nova Scotia, send me a pm and I will help answer your questions and give you some ideas about fun roads and accommodations. Cheers!

Old 12-16-2019, 12:04 AM
Bob Z.
Rennlist Member

Received 3,432 Likes on 2,347 Posts

Beautiful place! I was there while in the Navy, and a girl somewhere may still have my Navy hat.
Freddie Two Bs (12-16-2019)
Old 12-16-2019, 12:30 AM
Icebreaker
Racer

Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Beautiful place! I was there while in the Navy, and a girl somewhere may still have my Navy hat.
I came here for a 1 year position on a project with NATO. I moved from the Pacific northwest. I bought a house on the ocean with a sandy beach by maxing out my Visa. I kept trying to move back west... but never made it. That was in 1984. Bob, the US Navy is loved here. I am sure you had a good time!! We thank you for your service!
rockrdude (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:17 AM
rockrdude
Burning Brakes

Rick & Rockrdude... This is a great part of the world for a road trip. The curves and scenery are great, only to be surpassed by the food. Porsche started a "Porsche Experience" here a year ago to great reviews. It looks like they are doing it again this fall. Check this brief overview/map out:
http://porscheexperience.ca/en/trave...ce_novascotia/

Lunenburg is one of my favorite towns. The coastal road to get there is called the "lighthouse route". You can't go wrong heading in that direction.
https://www.novascotia.com/explore/top-25/lunenburg

There is a golf course here too! It is on the coastal road and a nice place to stop for a night. More pictures:
https://www.cabotlinks.com/

There is a ferry that goes from Maine - Nova Scotia. I take it quite regularly to drive to Boston. If anyone is interested in visiting Nova Scotia, send me a pm and I will help answer your questions and give you some ideas about fun roads and accommodations. Cheers!
Thanks for the info!!! I'll start a tentative plan, I'm sure my girlfriend will love it. I guess it would probably be faster to cut through Maine then to go through gaspésie, considering we'd be leaving from montreal. Plus the roads would prob be better too as Québec roads are now for hummvies 😅

Quick Reply: Hey 991.2 Targa 4 owners